5" Holiday Charm Swap

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

This thread is now FULL. We have a true bakers dozen. Yeah!

How it works: Each person on the list will send out Nine 5" x 5" blocks to each person on the list and receive Nine blocks back. When the swap is done you will have 117 blocks (nine from each person listed). Use 100% cotton fabric only please. Each block should be different unless the member states that duplicates are alright.

Deadline: October 31, 2011 ****NEW**** extended it just a tad hope no one minds.

1) SewSassee (Bev): Fall, Halloween, Christmas, Novelty (prefer novelty prints to colors)
2) BarefootT (Thunder): Pinks, Greens & Purples (the brighter the better, any in those tones) *duplicates ok*
3) Psychw2 (Pat): Halloween,Thanksgiving, Tractors, Chickens or Novelty *duplicates ok*
4) Abbisgranma (Marion): Fall,Thanksgiving *duplicates ok*
5) ElaineAnn1 (Elaine): Winter, Christmas
6) Canadastrid (Astrid): Everything
7) Quilter5bdsr (Barb): Fall (e.g. reds, oranges, golds, browns, etc)
8) Thea1962 (Thea): Everything *duplicates ok*
9) Kizmo (Kathy): Halloween, Thanksgiving, Fall
10) MorknotMindy (Gloria M): Christmas, Winter
11) BettyPauze (Betty): Halloween or Christmas
12) Housse301 (Laura): Christmas *duplicates ok*
13) Mittsy: Christmas or 30's reproductions

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 5:16 AM

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

Fall novelty prints please.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

sign me up.

got to think about what I want ...

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Sign me up too please! If you have Halloween or Thanksgiving novelty stuff that would be my first choice.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Put me on the list please. Duplicates are fine.

Fall/Thanksgiving for me.

Where is Elaine, Barb?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

So happy to see some familiar faces here.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

She lives about 1.5 miles from me Marion and is a sweetheart but kinda shy until she gets to know ya... She will be here soon I'm sure....

Hillsboro, NH

I would love to be in this swap. I would love anything winter vs xmas

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 4:12 PM

This message was edited Aug 14, 2011 4:17 PM

Wahoo, there she is!!! Sure didn't want you to miss this one Elaine, go glad you signed up. Welcome to the beginning of life never, ever being normal (was it ever) again. Not to mention the greatest group you will ever be involved with. Now where is Stu?

Hillsboro, NH

Thanks, Marion.....I appreciate the welcome. Barb's been talking about all of you so much, I just HAD to join in.

I forgot to mention duplicates are fine. I PREFER "things" like leaves, squirrel, turkey, ghost, spider, etc. Something I can incorporate into an I-Spy quilt. PLEASE do not purchase something special, that will not be necessary.

Elaine - did you hear that??? I spy!!! Sound familiar?????

Barb, your charm blocks from the other swap are sooo cute!! And I appreciate the heart fabric, it is really pretty. I made a book cover from a wonky Valentine block that Mittsy sent me by adding more on all 4 sides. I have enough Valentine prints (and enough variety) to get the first quilt top done now I think. I have a couple more projects ahead of it though! My dreams and "plans" always outstrip my time constraints.

My niece is expecting Nov 1 and I'd like to get a crib size quilt or two made and mailed off soon. They know they are having a boy. I've asked her if she likes the rag quilts and have not heard back yet. (I send some links of some so she can see them if she is unfamiliar with them). I don't know if I should make a "regular quilt" and a rag quilt. I found some Owl prints she would like. They seem to be very popular right now and I know she has a thing for Owls.

I'm afraid the rag quilts are a "fad" and will fall out of favor. Anyone else feel that way?

NO..big NO...I think rag quilts are here to stay !!!! they are so yummy, cozy !!!! Do you know if she will have a bassinet?? you could do a very small quilt for that, and a bigger one for the crib??? If I were to do a rag quilt for a child.....I would wait till he is a little bigger, maybe a good 1 yr birthday present ??? just my opinion. even if you do only two layers they are kinda "heavy"
might not want to use for wee little one...would be very good for a little older and throw on the floor "belly time" quilt....again JMHO...

Yes, I think the rag quilts make great belly time and to the park etc... Of course I LOVE denim quilts so.... My other niece has asked for a KING size denim quilt. I asked her if she had ANY idea how heavy that would be and she & her husband assured me that is WHY they want it! They LOVE the twin size one I made for her back when she was 18.

Saskatoon, Canada

I would love to join.....everything will be fine..I have more Christmas fabric then fall though, but I'm sure I can make a nice mix

Hillsboro, NH

Yes, I did. I made a great I SPY quilt for my grandson a few years ago. He loved it. I put dinosaurs (his favorite) on the back and he told his mom he had to put it on his bed backwards with the head of the quilt at his feet so when he gets up he is looking at it the right way up. He switches it over.every once in a while so he can see the dinosaurs when he wakes up.

Hillsboro, NH

Thanks for including me in this swap, everyone!!!!!!!

I've been holding back but can't any longer. Count me in too!!! I'd like anything Fall....reds, oranges, golds, browns etc....

Hi there Astrid!! long time no see!!!! how are you???

Elaine, sew very glad you joined us ^_^ got a picture of that I spy?? we REALLY like pictures!!!

Do I have to do a holiday??? can I just say anything in pinks, greens, purples????

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

"...and lead me not into temptation but deliver..." OK count me in!!! lol
YAY I am excited for my first swap!!
For me...any Holiday is fine and any colour and duplicates are great as well.

Just a few questions...
- do all the fabrics have to be prewashed? (I never prewash)
- could maybe someone post a link of what you consider "novelty" fall fabric? I found a lot of the novelty prints around here are very "flimsy", one wash and it looks so "limp" and see through...lol

Thea

Saskatoon, Canada

Hi, I'm doing good, summers are busy so haven't been online much.
I try to keep up with reading, but sure missed a few good swaps.

Glad I'm getting a bit more time,now the baby goats are on their own..and my garden almost harvest..freezer is filling up quickly now.

So happy to see both of you back here. You have been missed.
A novelty print is one with a theme to it. It can be of certain friuts, veggies , animals, birds, fish, holidays, cartoon characters etc. The charm packs sent to Melody in the last swap are novelty ones. It could also be an unusal design or some stripes. If someone were asking me for winter novelty, I'd look for snow scenes, snowmen, Skis, sleds etc. Hope you get my meaning.....
Happy to see you Astrid. Are you using the placemats at all? Duh, not until winter right???? They were snowmen!!!
See you soon Thea!!!! 5 and counting.......

Barb, I didn't think you could resist! LOL
Welcome Thea, this will be a "ton" of fun .
Astrid, you made me exhausted just reading about your summer. Love the freezer filling up.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

So nice for me to see new faces, since I am new, hee hee. Looks like this swap idea of mine was a hit, I think I like it because all I need to do is cut, ha. I feel like my dad, so many projects, half started, unfinished, etc... I need to get them done.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey Thunder, no pastels right? I labeled you as rainbow, lol.

Ya, you know Thunder, the brighter the better. If it doesn't cause retina burning it probably isn't bright enough for her!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

ok, I'm in if you need another person......Halloween or Thanksgiving/Fall prints

(Lady M, what would I do without you???? LOL)

yes please..or is that no thank you ?? bright is good no pastels
TOT's good prints good duplicates are fine.
gonna go into something for my grand daughter she likes pink and purple and butterflies !!! I like green, and figure green will go good with the pinks and purples... oh yea she likes monkeys too!!!

and Marion, she likes "your" pirate !!!! LOL

this is at her birthday party, calling her Daddy on skype, so he could watch her blow out her candles!! see the outfit she has on!! and look at the walls!!!

Thumbnail by barefootT
Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

Kizmo - I'm sorry but I'm fairly new too what is your name??. And Thunder, nice pics of my great niece. Allison is a pirate fan too.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

SS, I've been called lots of things, but Kathy will work LOL

Hillsboro, NH

Thunder, I'll be glad to send pics of that I SPY if I can find it.....

Babysat my granddaughter all day so just getting online.

Glad to see you here Kathy!!!

Thunder, that is a young lady after me own heart! Love the posters on the wall. Nothing like starting to appreciate good "eye candy" at a young age! LOL Okay, I maybe old but I ain't dead.....my story and I continue to stick with it.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Well, I guess you can count me in also. Christmas/winter prints would be welcome.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

morknotmindy, I'm sorry I am still fairly new, what is your name please? Thanks. Bev

Orlando, FL(Zone 9a)

Just two more people to go. This is going great.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Barb...could I bring yours and Elaine's Charms with me when we meet on sunday (3 more daysssssssss...YAY)?

Also wanted to ask the people that make the i-spy quilts (or anyone else), if they would like some squares of tractors,chicken and cows (can you tell I am living in farm country...as that is the extend of novelty fabrics...lol)...also have two different types of butterfly fabrics. I have to go to the city to see if they have halloween/fall novelty fabrics there and then I am all set for my first swap!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dropping in with a quick high..best you count me in. Lol

Thea left a trail for me to find!
Halloween or Christmas for me please...

Thea, of course you can have me deliver your squares. And if it is cheaper for you, just get them ALL into little plastic baggies with the names. I'll mail from here in the states and tell you how much it was. According to Betty, it is much cheaper that way and I'd be more than happy to do it. Don't seal anything and I'll put mine in with yours!!! We can split the postage....Only two more nights and we hit the road. We packed all the clothes tonight and now we are chillin"....

Ohhhhhhh tractors and chickens... OHHhhh YES!!! ALL novelty is good for me!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images