Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Germination: Now what????

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 14, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8755890

I have two of the Park's seed starter kits, the bio dome type, I used coconut coir seed starter brick as my medium for starting the seeds in. I planted in the two styrofoam trays (60 spots per tray), some mustard greens, some collards, some broccoli, some cauliflower, some cabbage, some spinach and some brussel sprouts. In both kits, which I only planted up Friday the 12th of August and my collards and mustard greens have already sprouted, but the rest haven't, so I opened up the slidie things over the tops of them to let in air to circulate. Did I mess up seed starting all of them together in one tray? There are heating mats underneath them, should I leave it as is with the vents above the startings that have germinated open, or should I move the whole tray to the flourescent lights?
joy
trc65
Galesburg, IL

August 14, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8756789

I'd recommend moving all of them to the lights and leave the heating mats off. All of those seeds are cool germinators and don't need the heat. Keep the vents open to provide air movement. If some of the cells start to dry out before germination, water the cells individually. The cole crops and spinach should all germinate within a week, so you shouldn't have any problems. Just keep giving them as much light as possible. The cole crops in particular will get incredibly leggy with warm temperatures and low light. I have some broccoli and cauliflower I germinated for a fall crop last week and I have them in full sun all day long now that the heat wave in the Midwest has subsided (highs in the low 80's and lows around 60 for the last week)
joy112854
Crestview, FL

August 16, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8760599

Thanks, I did move them all under the lights and left the heating mat undenreath them also, so hoping they sprout, if they don't then I have learned my lesson and the 1st of Sept will start a tray of just brussel sprouts and another tray of just spinach.
joy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America