Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Moon Flower-HELPPPPP

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 12, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 14, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8756233

Last night something ate leaves off 1 big stem of my 2 yr. old moon flower; no animal-a worm or big bug-the leaves cannot be found no where near the pot so I am on the look out and hope to catch whatever did this in the ACT! I sprayed all the leaves with my mixture of soapy water.
As you can see it has several seed pods and I don't want to loose them! If I cut off the seed pods now will they be destroyed as I know they can be cut off when a split in the pod is visible.
I hope someone in Dave's land can help me as I have several moon flowers and love to see their beautiful blooms when they show them overnight for me.
I can't plant them in my yard since the tractor will mow them down so I have them in huge pots.
Thanks.

Thumbnail by BoopsieTN
Click the image for an enlarged view.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8758538

Hi Boopsie. I have grown moonflowers for years. They grow in my garden from seed every year. The pods have to turn brown before the seed is "ripe". I enjoy the flowers and the fragrance is wonderful. I think they also look quite tropical.
I can save some seed for you if you are interested.
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 16, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8759162

Thanks Birder17! I have plenty seeds just don't want to loose the seed pods that are on my plants. Whatever ate on it hasn't been back yet and I hope it stays away. I stored this plant in a building with no water all winter and 1 day this spring I went out there and it was already coming back with lots of babies everywhere in the pot. I thought I had gotten all the seeds when the seed pod opened last year but I was wrong. It only bloomed 2 times last year and this year it has outdone it self. Its a shame the blooms don't get to stay open longer than they do.
We have 2 garden spots and my husband was suppose to let me have 1 for only flowers but he didn't atleast I have 24 tuberose plants in it. I was keeping the weeds out of them so good and we've had more rain than usual (need all we can get) and the weeds got out of hand but after seeing my 1st tuberose bloom yesterday I worked in them and they look better. After falling backwards 2 times (Meniere's Disease in both ears) I decided I had done enough for 1 evening; I will finish this afternoon.

Thumbnail by BoopsieTN
Click the image for an enlarged view.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8761109

Boopsie, love tuberose. Please be careful. My girlfriend had M. Disease and had surgery which took care of it. It's awful.
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 17, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8761292

Birder17,
I've had 2 surgeries on my right ear (5 yrs. apart) and have a shunt in it and I am sure it is time for it to be replaced. My left ear was so damaged they took out alot of deterated bone and couldn't put a shunt in it. I will see my dr. in Nashville, TN tomorrow. I hear every heart beat, every step I take and still have constant ringing and roaring and drunk as a skunk. I balance myself with my feet since my vistabular is gone.
I can have a surgery where the nerves from my ears are disconnected from my brain but it is dangerous and could cause me to be paralized, so I will stick with the every 5 yrs. replacement of the shunt.
I could write a book on it.
I'll let you know how the check up goes.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8762023

That sounds absolutely terrible. I don't know how you function. Of course, you don't have a choice. I don't know what kind of surgery my girlfriend had. She said it was dangerous at the time (20 years ago.) Gosh, have you been to other doctors?
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 17, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8762051

Yes, I had been to several drs. before I was finally diagnoised. I would get dizzy, sick, vomiting and finally would pass out-1 dr. said I might have a inner ear problem and made me an appt. with Dr. Mitchell Schwaber, Otolaryngologist at St. Thomas in Nashville, TN.
The tests they did were terrible and I have exercises to do but they really make me dizzy. I was 45 when I was diagnoised and he said it was unusual for someone my age to have it and especially in both ears. I stay on a low salt diet (don't put salt on anything I cook or eat), no chocolate (after Hep C treatments I hate the thought of chocolate and other foods) and no caffeine. If I don't have a certain medication I cannot sleep at all.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8762070

What causes this M. Disease?
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 18, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8763832

Its like leukemia no 1 really knows what causes it.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8765243

Yes, there's a bunch of diseases out there like that. However, unlike Lukemia, I don't think they're doing a lot of research for M. D. Cancer and heart disease gets a lot of research money. I believe they are starting to put more money towards research for Diabetes also.
If they knew what "caused" the disease, they would be more likely to find a cure.
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 19, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8765286

I will be having the shunt in my right ear taken out and a new 1 put in last of Sept. (don't have my purse in here) I told him I was sick of hearing every heartbeat and every step I take. I'm completely off caffine, salt, chocolate and will half to be off my vitamins and herbs 10 days before surgery. I may need to start using my cane before surgery since its so bad and I will definetly be using it after surgery for 6 wks.
People who are healthy don't know how lucky they are and I just can't understand why people want to ruin their bodies by doing meth and all that junk.
We are GOD's creation!
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8774271

Hi Boopsie, I think it's a hornworm that ate your leaves. They LOVE datura. They get so fat! And they have a little hooked horn on their tails. It has probably moved on to find another datura or tomato.

The plant is fine and may even regrow the leaves. Leave the seed pods on until they get crispy so the seeds will be ripe.

I believe the moonflower is hardy in your area. I'm about an hour from Memphis, zone 6B-7A, and I leave my moonflower in ground all winter. It has survived even the two last winters which were our worst. And I always let some seeds fall naturally to make more plants. The fragrance is just wonderful isn't it? And it's really nice when it gets bushy with many blooms on it at one time.
BoopsieTN
McMinnville, TN

August 24, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8774709

I was thinking it might be that type of worm 1 always gets on my Devil's Claw plants but didn't this year 'cause I was on the lookout. This worm leaves round black poop droopings and I'm checking my plants several times a day.
Thanks.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America