-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8756617

I purchased this Crape Myrtle marked as Red Rocket. It doesn't really look like the picture but the description states Cherry red flowers, flecked white.
Does anyone have these and do they look any thing like mine? I think mine has a lot of white on the blooms. If it isn't Red Rocket could someone ID it for me? Sorry this picture is so blurry but you can see the color of the blooms.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8756633

I would have thought that the tag was correct as there was a whole shipment of these and they weren't the only ones that I am questioning. The other Crape Myrtle I purchased is marked as Hopi Dwarf Crape Myrtle, stating the color as medium pink. This one also doesn't look anything like the picture on the tag. What I got when it bloomed was this lovely lavender. Is anyone familiar with this variety?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8756692

The first one doesn't look like 'Red Rocket'. 'Peppermint Lace' has two-tone pink & white blooms like that http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38094/ The second one it's hard to say for sure whether it is or isn't 'Hopi' because there are too many other cultivars that have similar coloring, and colors can vary a lot in pictures depending on cameras and lighting.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8756710

My Red Rocket looks very much like the Peppermint Lace. I think that is it. Thanks.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2011
8:58 PM

Post #8756835

That second one is not 'Hopi'. This is 'Hopi'...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8756842

I wonder why it is that nurseries ship things with the wrong tags. This seems to happen quite frequently with daylilies also.sigh.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8756863

Yes, It wasn't just a couple of plants but quite a few of them and more than one type mislabeled.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America