-
AuthorContent
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
5:03 AM

Post #8757114

It certainly makes more sense to look at all the data, not just extreme cold temps. It is definatly a California outfit though. They have me, in West Central Texas, having the same climate as Deep East Texas. Trust me they are not the same! For one thing they have trees. Maybe we could get the Aggies to do something similar for Tx, OK, and LA.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 15, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8757496

That would be great if it could elaborated upon for your area.
bevbh
Austin, TX

August 15, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8757725

I put a comments on one of the other threads about my disappointment with the accuracy of the zones in the Austin area. They don't have enough distinction in rainfall or soil type in the east. Maybe that works OK in the deep south but not in TX. Abilene and San Angelo don't belong in the same zone as Nashville, that's for sure. Do you think zone 10 is correct for your area?

When looking at USDA zone recommendations for a new plant or variety, I dont buy anything that isn't OK for zone 9 even though we are officially in zone 8. If it can't take the heat of zone 9 or lack of winter chill there, I don't want to try it. We have an expression here about native TX plants - they take the heat and the sleet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beyond USDA Zones Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sunset Zones fc_upland 1 Aug 15, 2011 8:32 AM
Very cool article! joeyramone 1 Aug 15, 2011 8:40 AM
Sunset National Garden Book AGCcutter 3 Aug 15, 2011 10:45 AM
sunset zones brioche 1 Aug 15, 2011 12:39 PM
great article AmandaEsq 2 Jul 24, 2013 5:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America