Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Confusion over elephant ears

Jamestown, NY(Zone 5a)

I was given two plants as a thank-you. Being an outdoor gardener, these were new ones for me. I was told that they are elephant ears. I have been trying to read up on their care. My first question is there a difference between Caladium and Colocasia? My second question: How should I care for these? I am pretty sure that in zone 5, I should take them in before a frost. The leaves will die down as I gradually cut down the water and then store them in peat moss in my basement. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by Garden56
Jamestown, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank-you for your assistance. I checked all the websites and found them helpful.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

You are very welcome. I am glad you found them useful. I could not give you much in the way of personal experience as all of my caladiums and elephant ears overwinter in the ground here.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

I bring mine in the house and store them in the basement for the winter. You are right, they won't survive the winter up here.

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

i can provide quality landscaping.. [url=http://www.anlawnservice.com/]landscaping Pittsburgh[/url]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.