Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Help me with my rag quilt please :) 2

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Yes, anything over 200 replies becomes VERY slow for our dial up friends. THANKS!

Phoenix, AZ

Well, this weekend I got 120 squares cut out, 60 more to go....................

Go Fish go!! hehee

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

fish are you speed cutting?

Phoenix, AZ

Thank goodness for rotary cutters :)

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

those hoop rugs are pretty cool!!

oh yes the only way to go ...

I think I need to make one T

well I had the hoop and a t-shirt already cut up ( cleaning out UFOs). a bit thinner the maybe they should be for a rug .. but oh well ..and you can see someone sat on my HH...lol
but it was to hot to go out and play today .. think I need at least 3 more t-shirts to finish. but it really easy this is maybe 30 mins

Thumbnail by denimangle
Phoenix, AZ

That looks great!
Dontcha hate it when someone sits on your hula hoop.....

Lexington Park, MD

Wow that is to cool. I am thinking that maybe the kids can help with this one.
It is on my list of things to do. Thanks for the pics.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks all for the Hula Hoop info and pictures. Definately a to-do. I'm even thinking that sewing a few together may make a simple mat for a dorm room, mud room, etc. May actually make a good throw for over the dog bed... easily washable.

I used to take all my 5X5 leftover denim and sew them up for simple pads (both sides denim) and ALL the left over batting pieces and made pads for my friend's kennels. It made a great way for me use up all my scraps and not waste the leftovers. I stitched completely thru in X or circles to keep the batting from shifting. The machine quilting is especially important when you are weaving battings stips or slip stitching pieces together to create the batting center.

Phoenix, AZ

Got all the squares cut out! Wooooo Hoooo!
Chocolate brown flannel for the center, Navy blue for the back.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

You go Fish! That is going to be so beautiful.

thats going to be Beautiful Fish

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Yep, you've got the raggedy bug..........

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Got my first rag quilt attempt back from the wash and fold. I had them wash it twice and dry once. It's for my SO who is 6'3". I wanted it bigger so it could be snuggled into I know the fringe will improve with time, but it looks pretty good already. The front is a mix if flannels and denims. Already planning a second with different fabric for me for winter.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

A bit closer

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

And the scrappy back.

Thumbnail by FLStu
Phoenix, AZ

I love it! How many layers is it?

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Two. All flannel back and flannel and Denim front. Hate to think how heavy it would be with another layer. In FL, two layers is fine. Now if we were in Michigan......

very nice FLStu love all the color!!
im sure your son will love it

Denim, Stu said "SO" as in significant other. I don't think he meant son. The rag quilt is really turning out great isn't it!

Lexington Park, MD

That turned out great. How did you like doing the fringe?

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

The fringe actually wasn't bad. I have a spring scissors. The main problem is that for the last 1/3 I think that it dulled cause it wasn't cutting as well. I had about five small knicks in flannel panels due to placement of the scissor and not monitoring the panel on the bottom ( I folded the blocks at the seams to cut the fringe). The bottom panel was a bit bunched and I got the tip of the bunching. Very small and easily mended by hand. Being my first attempt, I didn't think that it was that bad and the knicking actually helped me learn where best to place my hand to keep the fabric away from the seam. One thing I noticed is that the knicking happened primarily when I was tired, so there's a moral to the story....

LOL@ psychw2
Typo was thinking about the extra long RagQuilt I made for my son hes 6'8"
and typed son should have be so .. but either way my point was im sure they will love the quilt !!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh Stu that quilt is stunning!!! I love the colour choices and blocks (I would have never thought of making smaller blocks to match with the bigger blocks).

Fish I love the colour choices of your next Rag quilt, that one too will be a real treasure!!

I have a question regarding Demin to use in a Rag quilt. I have saved old jeans that were ripped or worn out in some places, but they are the "stretchy" kind. Would I still be able to use them or should I just put them in the garbage (recycle). I am not sure how they would fray or match up the flannel.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't know about using stretchy denim in a quilt ,if it would behave. I know my stretchy jeans tend to go all wonky after being washed a lot. That is the stretch seems to get uneven and parts of it tend to stay stretched out. I do think they would fray ok though.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Yep, Stu, you've got the bug too!! Aren't they fun to make?

Thea1962
only use the denim if it 100% cotton the other has poly in them and will not give you the look you are going for in the rag quilt .you can use then as a backing for a throw on the ground quilt

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much for your replies, I kind of figured it would not really go with the 100% cotton, but just didn`t wanted to throw them out as there are still a lot of good parts on them.
I am becoming more and more like my dear Mom....can`t throw any pieces of fabric out without considering first what else I can make of them...lol
Great idea about using it as backing for a throw.

LOL I got my Name from using all parts of old jeans even the seams & Zippers... very little went in the trash

Phoenix, AZ

Got all of the squares X'd and the 1st row is done!

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

its going to be very pretty fish are you useing 6" sqs

Phoenix, AZ

10 inch squares with 1/2 in seams = 9 inch finished. The color is really off in the pic. The browns are very rich deep chocolate, the plaid looks red in the pic :(
It will be 7 rows X 8 rows. I should have all the sewing done tomorrow and start the clipping sigh~~~~~

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Everyone "complains"about the clipping thru all the layers afterward. Has anyone tried clipping before the sewing? Or cutting with pinking sheers or a pinking rotary cutter?
might be worth trying.

Qwilter ,pinking sheers are to keep things from unraveling .. we want the ravel
sewing after clipping could be done but harder to sew the clipping really isn't that bad just part of the rag quilt making

Phoenix, AZ

And I just like to complain (At least that's what my Mom always said when I was little) :P

Yep, that's it. Just need find something convenient to complain about.... actually the clipping can be a little painful in big doses if you have too much to do in too little time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.