Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8759128

Is it just me but the flowers I have seen on this hydrangea are (much) less than desirable. For those of you that have had this 'new' hydrangea in their garden (is it possible this could be the third growing season?) can you post pictures showing me *beautiful* pink blooms?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8759140

I just bought one this year and the blooms were quite small. Hopefully in years to come they will become as large as they show in the advertisement.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8759233

There are some nice pictures of it posted in Plant Files, so it seems some people are having luck with it http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/188965/
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8759380

I have faith in it and realize it takes time for a shrub to put some size on.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8759433

I just planted one this last May, and while the little bush is doing well, it never has flowered. I have given it some Osmocote, and watered it well, but I figured that maybe I will have to wait another year? Or two?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8759443

I am so glad to see these posting as my plant isn't doing so well either. I haven't given up but it isn't what I expected...tiny blooms.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8759481

And it isn't just small blooms but that they don't remain a nice colour for very long i.e. they quickly turn brown.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8760092

Yes, they have turned brown quickly. Maybe it just takes a while for this one to establish itself.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8760102

Hydrangeas often take a couple years to really get going and put on a good show with the flowers, so for those of you who've only had them in the ground a year or two you may need to be patient with them. This year has also had some extreme temperatures, drought, etc in many areas which are not going to be ideal conditions for hydrangeas (or most other plants for that matter) so if you're in an area that's had that extreme weather that could explain poorer or smaller blooms, more rapid aging to brown, etc.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8760569

I would not be too concerned with bloom size either, not on a recently planted shrub. But the shade of pink that Invincibelle and Bella Anna have is not quite my cup of tea. However, I should clarify that their website says that the shade of pink is supposed to vary very little depending on whether one has acidic or alkaline soil. So maybe the blooms I saw in pots will look slightly better when planted on the ground and after 2 years or so. Maybe. But, eeeehhhh, it just did not say 'buy me' to me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8760849

I agree, Luis. Many hydrangeas are being introduced before they are given sufficient trials in many zones and end up disappointing people. I've learned not to jump to buy a new hydrangea just because of a pretty promotional photo.
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 17, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8761953

Hi - I've had my Invincibelle in the ground three years now. And it is just now getting more pleasing. It is really loaded with blooms albeit small - probably fist size but some are bigger than that. There are probably 30 - 40 blooms on it. no kiddin. It is very sturdy after big rains and doesn't droop. I was really really disappointed even last year. I thought (from the promotional picture with the little girl) that the blooms would be very large. They are not. But I was pleased enough to buy two more to plant along side the first one. They stay pink probably three - four weeks and then turn green and fade to tan. They are in the green stage right now. So i am hangin in there and waiting to see how they do next year. They are planted alongside a fence and I didn't want them to get big - although I wanted bigger blooms. But I am pleased with their performance but it surely took at least three years. The other two I bought are pretty pathetic right now and the blooms are green, tan, and brown. ha. They are in about 4-5 hours of sun and the established one does not wilt.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 6:57 PM
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 17, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8761970

One more thing - they are still producing sporadic pink blooms here and there also. The green stage has been going on for about a month now. It is a pleasing lime green with hints of pink. Now I have to go through the 'hideous' stage with the other two I just planted. ish.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8762118

GKayfes, that sounds encouraging. Mine has only been in the ground since late spring and does put on new growth, just the blooms..size and color..weren't pleasing. Will just continue to nurture it and see what happens.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8762274

Thanks GKayfes for the feedback.

I am surprised that you say it doesnt droop as isnt this hydrangea just an Annabelle with pink flowers and Annabelles do flop.

(Btw, what have you done re pruning in the spring...cut it right back as is recommended for Annabelles?)
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 18, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8762445

The Invincibelle probably doesn't droop because the blooms are Way smaller than Annabelles. To be honest, I was so disgusted with Invincibelles, I didn't prune or baby them. I pretty much ignored it except the first year, I religiously watered it. I just clipped off the blooms in spring. I didn't realize how pretty it got this year because from my patio, my Joe Pye Weed was in my way of monitoring it's growth. My neighbor commented how pretty it was so I went over and checked it out. I was surprised at how nicely it grew and was producing many pink blooms. Maybe I should prune it this year! ha. The two I bought this year are laughingly kind of ragtag looking. When I look at the 1/2 off sales going on at nurseries and big box stores, their stock of Invincibelles look bedraggeled also. No wonder they have so many left in stock. yuck!
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 18, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8762878

Their loss, your gain. I saw some really bad looking azaleas at one of my Lowes last weekend. They needed to be in their 50% OFF Rack but were still selling for the regular high prices. More than 3/4 of the topgrowth (leaves) were dried out (the part in direct contact with the sun). The plants were in full sun, in a windy area, in the middle of an exceptional drought for this area and with temperatures mostly in the 100s since early June. Not sure if they moved them after I said something. It looked as if they had moved all their inventory to the shaded area but the inventory was incredibly small even for this time of the year...
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 18, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8763611

Yes I have been seeing the drought weather going on in your state - amazing. Up here in the frozen tundra, we have been lucky with much rain. The northern Minneapolis suburbs have received too much rain at times. I am in the southern suburbs and very lucky. The gardens are popping. Past years, I have had to sprinkle A LOT but it isn't the same as mother nature water and some plants still stress out. I hope your drought breaks soon!
vanislandgirl
Ladysmith, BC

September 11, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8803672

mine did much better this year than last. Bigger flowers, taller stronger stems.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America