-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8760206

I have a fair sized grove of quaking aspen on the north side of our property. The leaves of the aspen and everything below them are coated with a sticky substance on the top side only. It's as if something has been sprayed on them. No noticeable bugs or damage to the leaves. No substance on the underside of the leaves. I don't use chemicals. The area is far away from the road and neighbor, so overspray is not likely. I've looked online and can't find anything. Here's a photo that kind of shows the sticky pattern. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by bonehead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

August 16, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8760513

One of our aspen trees has a sticky substance on the leaves. The patio area under the aspen has been covered with this as well. What could this be? S. H., Sandy, UT; 7/16/08
A: The aspens have aphids which secrete sticky "honeydew," and probably are causing the leaves to curl. You can spray the trees with a strong jet of water or insecticidal soap, or you can use a systemic insecticide for control.
I found this. Just googled aspens with stick substance on leaves. What do you think?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8761110

Can't you usually see aphids? I'm not seeing any evidence of any creepy crawlies, and the leaves all look OK, no curling or yellowing that I'm noticing. Also weird that whatever it is seems to be dripping down to everything under the trees. Hope whatever it is goes away, these puppies are way too tall to even think about spraying, I'd need a firehose!

Reading through some of the aspen sites, though, it does seem to fit. I wonder how high up in the trees they are - I can try spraying dormant oil this winter, or maybe bring in some ladybugs.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 7:19 AM
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8761722

I bet the aphids are on the the newest growth at the top of the tree and the honeydew is dripping down. They are notorious for aphids. I used to tell people to never plant them where you will park or have a patio. The worst I have seen them do is cause an ant infestation seeking the sweet honeydew. Other than spraying them with a firehose, the only option I see is to use a systemic pesticide like bayers tree and shrub care. I would probably just leave them myself. But I'm lazy :)
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8761767

Live and let live is my usual motto unless a plant is in serious trouble. Everything looks healthy at the moment so I will just hope a bunch of ladybugs discover this nirvana. Funny that I've never noticed this before - we've been here for 32 years and the aspens were well established when we moved in. Hopefully it is just a fluke year.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8761776

Do you see any evidence of mass ant migration on the trunks?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8761854

No visible ants, but on closer inspection I am definitely spying the aphids. I'll just hope for the best. I probably have upwards of a hundred trees clumped together, mostly full-grown with smaller saplings at the edges.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8767743

We have had Aspen boerers and the only imput we have is woodpeckers drilling into the bark. The leaves diminish and the tops fall off in heavy winds. One thing to consider

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America