Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: Is this an Elderberry?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 14, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dharma3
Summerdale, AL

August 16, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8760213

I live in Alabama near the coast and have several of these growing on the 10 acres. Can someone confirm if this is an Elderberry? It gets white flowers where the cluster of berries are.

Thank you

Thumbnail by dharma3
Click the image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 16, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8760359

Looks like one to me.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8760585

Ditto!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8761103

It's lots of elder berries! At least 300, at a guess (no I didn't count them all individually!)

Resin
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 17, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8761112

Looks like mine :) Time to make some jam!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8761116

minnesippi wrote:Time to make some jam!!

A mite early yet, wait until they're all fully ripe (black, none left green). The green ones are slightly poisonous, they're only edible fully ripe.

Resin
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 17, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8761126

I leave mine for the birds. I had asked in another post to have mine identified. (Resin, you ID'd mine). Found that I have several of them on the property. At least 9 of them!! So if anyone wants some, just let me know :)
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8761230

In California you have to have an environmental impact report (EIR) done before you can remove or in any way alter elderberry plants, even on private property. It is a requirement under the Endangered Species Act because Sambucus nigra are the host plant for the endangered Valley Elderberry Longhorn Beetle (VELB), Desmocerus californicus dimorphus. The beedle has a parasitic relationship with the plant, and can only be found on plants growing within about 200ft of a perennial source of water, but an EIR is required regardless of where the plant is located. Not sure if it is the same case in other states, as I believe the beedle is endemic to CA, but just wanted to throw that out there for anyone in CA who might want to trade these plants. Be careful where you plant them and what you do with them! They do make delicious pies though- just follow a blueberry pie recipe.
dharma3
Summerdale, AL

August 17, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8761236

Thanks you guys! I've watched these trees/shrubs for about a year now. Made notes of when they bloom, where they grow, etc. I was 99.9% sure they were elderberry, but wanted a second opinion.

It took me two years of studying the "blackberry brambles" I've got growing in the back field before I had enough guts to finally eat one ... ONE berry mind you, then I went to bed and was sure it would be the last thing I ever ate LOL

Bare in mind, we just moved here to AL a couple of years ago and having grown up in CA (in the city) all this "wilderness" is new to me. Everyday I walk through my 10 acres of "forest and jungle" (my husband says its just an "overgrown field with a few tree lines") and I am in awe of what I find.

Thanks again!

Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8761619

When I lived in Alabama there were elderberry plants all along country roads and I had them wild in my yard in the county. I also had wild blackberries growing along my fence line. I tried to get rid of the blackberries as they had so many thorns on them and would snag me when I mowed the lawn on the riding mower.
nrowlett
Gladstone, OR

August 18, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8762973

dharma3 - you mentioned that you were 99% sure that they were elderberries - what was the 1% doubt that you had? And how did you learn about them (books on edible berries, from another person, or other ... )?

Here in Oregon we do not have the black ones (Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis), but do have 2 other native kinds:
"blue elderberry" (Sambucus cerulea) and "red elderberry" (Sambucus racemosa), both of which I've eaten.

The blue elderberries once grew fairly abundantly here when I first started collecting them "in the wilds" back in the early 1970s. The clusters were very thick and heavy on some of the larger trees, about twice the density (at least) as the one in your pic, with a couple pounds of berries per cluster it seems. Since the '70s, the trees have become much more scarce, largely due to urban development. One large grove of maybe 25 trees near here were cut by the highway department several years ago as part of a plan to remove native habitat for "homeless people" who were camping in the groves, thus destroying the prospects for hundreds of pounds of berries to be harvested on an annual basis. This grove was visited by many people (including myself) who knew about it.

I've experimented with the red elderberries on a much lesser extent on the southern Oregon coast where they are scattered here and there (never forming groves, at least none that I've seen). The fruit clusters are small and the berries are juicy, very tart and not very tasty, so I left them for the birds to enjoy - while I went for the salal berries and huckleberries.

Hagar3
Byron, GA

August 21, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8769410

I grew up in Alabama and elder usually grew around creeks and similar locations. If it is elder the stems are hollow with a soft pith in the center. We cut the stalks at the joints and pushed the pith out and made a pop gun that fired china berries by pushing one through the tube behind the other and the compressed air caused the front berry to fire with a loud pop,

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8769413

We have them all over our farm land, country dirt road we live on and the biggest and best grow around the ponds.. Make great jam and delicious wine.. Always had to make my daughter syrup when she was growing up..Started out as an accident, or jelly not jelled, and became a tradition.

Larkie

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8770423

Larkie, thats a nice story!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8770509

:)...

she still loves the syrup.. and she is now 33, and her kids love it..

Larkie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America