Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Self-contained Box Gardens: Hi, I moved into a unit with a small backyard that is brick.

Communities > Forums > Self-contained Box Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Self-contained Box GardensReplies: 34, Views: 360
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8760619

CLOSED

Hi,
I need advive on how to set up my back yard with container gardening. Can you help?

I have included two pictures to give you an idea of the small space I have.

Debi

Pic 1

This message was edited Aug 19, 2013 9:00 AM

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 16, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8760620

Hi Again,

Pic 2

Thumbnail by Degarotty

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2011
7:45 AM

Post #8761156

How much sun does this area receive. If it gets at least six hours, then you can grow vegetables in containers. The six hours do not have to be consecutive. My own garden is shaded at various times of the day, but the vegetables grow just fine.

Do you own or rent? If you own, you could remove the bricks and either grow in the soil that's there, or put in some raised beds.

My other concern would be heat trapped in such a confined space. Vegetables like lots of sun, but some of them don't do well if there's not good air flow.

Does the area drain quickly when it rains heavily? If not, then your containers would have to be raised above the ground.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8761196

Hey, Bee!
I've looked at her area and my first thought was eBuckets. But, looking again, I think she'd get more from the space by putting two raised beds directly on the bricks and overlapping that drainage trench (from the corrugated fence to the wall of the house). She'd get more bang for the buck and could do fairly close planting in the beds, (a la Mel's, without all the hoopla).

What do you think? Two, 2x8 beds with a walkway in-between, or one 2x8 and one 2x6, maybe?

Here's a link to a simple construction. She wouldn't need to go square foot, either.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/710489/

Linda

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8761284

Hi, Linda - I'm hoping Degarotty will get back to us with more info so we can better advise her as to what's best.

If she put a bed across the drainage ditch, it would need to have a bottom. However, ebuckets could rest on wooden planks straddling the ditch.

I'm concerned about how much heat radiates off that corregated fence. If she could get a vine to grow over it, that would reduce the radiant heat.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8761406

I think she'd be able to grow more in the raised bed(s), even with bottoms on them.

I see your point about heat bouncing off that fence, too...hmmmmmmmmmm...

But, a nice project, no doubt! I'd like to see it though to her harvest!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 17, 2011
6:05 PM

Post #8761999

I've had the same thoughts, but I think in that area they get heavy rains...hence the drainage chanel, and sloped paving. That has to remain open! It seems to be a narrow space, so sun may be an issue for veggies. From what I see in the pots, it is mostly succulents, which should do fine with half day sun. That fence definately needs to be hidden with vines, but the sun needs to be watched for a season to know what will grow there. If possible, I would put some kind of barrier across the bottom of that fence to stop the mud flow under it. I think any type of planters need to be raised for drainage.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8767747

I'd go verticle, stradle the drainage, and leave some walking or setting area in the patio. If you wanted you put the verticle on the brick or fence side also. Also agree on being sure you have enough sunlight.

See below url for an idea on a verticle garden for the area.
http://dcrowhouse.blogspot.com/2009/05/have-you-heard-of-vertical-gardens.html

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8768500

We have (mentally) rearranged Degarotty's back yard, but she/he hasn't reappeared to see it...
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8768831

Yes. But it's been fun (mentally) rearranging the yard. Anyone else need some ideas?
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 24, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8774170

I am back Ladies, moving and packing away are a big job I dont want to do again in a hurry. lol

So, that wooderm House, could it be dont on a smaller concept. As you seen the size of my back yard. N/G. lol

Any Ideas welcome, please remember I am on a Pension, so money is very limited. ox
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8774443

Packing and moving is a pain.

I'm not sure what a wooderm house is. Would you explain?

What do you want to grow? Can you hang anything on either of the fences?

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8784313

Pic # 2

Ladies, fire away my friends...

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8784314

Pic # 1

Got lost. lol

I have no idea what to use to fix the area under the fence, any idea's, please, Ladies.

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8784317

Pic # 3

Ideas Ideas, please.

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:15 PM

Post #8784319

Pic # 4

I have a Canary Vine but not sure how it would go against that fence??

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8784320

Pic # 5

This is where I would like to put my outside tables and chairs. lol

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8784321

Pic # 6

These 2 pic's are my nieghbours, either side of me.

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:22 PM

Post #8784322

Pic # 7

Please remember, I am on a Disability Pension, my friends. oxox

Thumbnail by Degarotty

Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 29, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8784326

Hi,

The wooderm house was in the link, sorry for the spelling.

I was going to add something else but my mind has gone blank! Help needed my friends.

Debi

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8784724

I've seen some vertical gardens made out of shipping pallets and roof gutters. Google those terms ("vertical garden wooden shipping pallets" and "vertical garden gutter") and click on "Images" at the top right of the search page. Look through the images to get some ideas. You can do the same for any throw away building material that you know is available in Australia. You might also check out the DG Trash to Treasure threads in the discussion forum.

Seems like as much as Austrailians like to entertain, a vertical garden over a bench style seating that is along the fence might be nice. The bench would stradle the drainage or storm runoff trench. Could use the bench as a place to set containers with plants when you are not entertaining.

It's hard to tell from a photo but it Looks like there might be some termite issues with the fencing.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 8:24 AM
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

August 30, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8786044

Hi Ladies,

I took special notice to day so I could answer some of your Q's.

I went out 12 Midday and tthe only place of good sun was all the Red Bricks. It was shade over the Waterway, If you know what I mean?

I need to fix the problem of the area under that silver fence.

I need some great CHEAP ways to do it as On the Pension.

Idea's of places I could visit for offcuts maybe?????? Just ANY ideas so that when I get it all orgainised, that I dont have to go throught that again.

Debi, oxox
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 30, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8786111

The only solution to that fence that I can see is concrete blocks, and I don't know if that would hold up when your rainy season is in full swing.
As to plants, they will have to be portable to accomodate the sun through the seasons. I have the same problem in my Mobile Home lot. Most of my flowering plants are in pots, and my veggies are in Earth Boxs (not cheap), or E-buckets (or this year, large pots that have been converted to self watering containers). E-buckets are a five gallon plastic bucket that has been made into a self watering container. There are threads in this forum that go back a couple of years on their development, and uses...lots of reading. Hopefully, gymgirl will chime in and show you the latest version, since she is our E-bucket guru.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 30, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8786121

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1188608/ This will give you some ideaabout the buckets.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8788382

Degarotty, et al,
eBuckets is simply a new twist on an old theme. Basically, it's a 5-gallon bucket (or other container), that has a built-in water reservoir. Once your veggie (or plant) is planted in the container, there's a wicking action that provides constant water to the plant from the reservoir. The plants/veggies wick up the water as they want to or need to, so they're much happier plants! You can't over-water or under-water, as long as you keep the reservoir filled. Depending on the age of your plant, a seedling will cause the reservoir to need to be filled maybe once a week. As it gets bigger and demands more water, you might have to fill 2-3 times a week. When your plant/veggie is in full swing, you might have to fill the reservoir several times a day! But, that's down the line.

The system was designed to do what the $$$ patented Earthboxes do, but less expensively.

The eBucket system:
►is Cost effective (if you get a bucket for free, the wicking components will cost you approximately
$1.60/eBucket or less, cause you can find those for free, too!)
►is Efficient for those gardening in containers
►is Compact for those gardening in small spaces
►Offers portability (you can just move your eBucket with the sun patterns)

The link below will put you in the middle of a discussion a couple of us were having regarding how to go from a two-bucket system to a one-bucket system that could have a reservoir. Gessieviolet and Molamola brainstormed the concept. You can call them "research" and "design". After we all agreed the overturned colander in the bucket would work wonderfully well, they were content with having come up with the idea. I, on the other hand, was smack dab in the middle of my planting season, without a single raised bed or any other place to plant my seedlings, and opportunity was knocking. So, I picked up the design ball and constructed approximately 20 eBuckets for my very first container garden. By the end of that growing season, I knew the system so well, I was dubbed the "eBucket guru!" I like to think of myself as "Implementation," in the entire eBucket process.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1011889/ (Dave's Garden eBucket design discussion)

Lemme know if you need any help. I'm desperately trying to get a raised bed built for the 150+ cole crop seedlings I have going, and if it isn't in place by October 1st, I'll be doing an eBucket garden this season, using approximately 48 eBuckets. So, I'll be on call to assist in any way I can.

Godspeed, and Good Harvest!

Linda

This message was edited Sep 6, 2011 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8789982

Gymgirl, your link to the e-buckets tutorial didn't go there - or I couldn't find it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8791059

Bee,
It's the first link I posted above.

http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/3230/?offset=0 (Make an eBucket tutorial with pics)

This message was edited Sep 6, 2011 11:38 AM

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8795838

Gymgirl, Okay, I found it. The link you gave was for page three, the instructions were on page one dated July 15th

This link should take anyone interested in the tutorial to page one.

http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/3230/?offset=0

I'm thinking e-buckets will work better in the area where the bamboo is growing. I should be able to control the bamboo if it can't grow up through raised beds or regular plant pots.

We've managed to clear a 10' x 40' (approx) strip, but won't know until spring how successful it has been. Still another 40' x 40 '(approx) area to clear out! Hubby has cut the stumps back to ground level so I can get the mower through the entire area.

I HATE BAMBOO!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8795919

Thanks, Bee! I'll correct the link in my original post!

Hugs!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8796618

Hmmm. Ever notice how much Bamboo looks (and acts) like Kudzu ??? I don't raise Koalas or Pandas, so I don't need it on my property!
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8796621

OOPS! I don't know how I related Koalas with bamboo, but I don't need Eucalyptus here either.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8797530

Melaleuca is a pest tree in South Florida - and is a eucalyptus, too - but I'd rather have them than bamboo!

http://sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/melaleuca/melaleuca.htm
Degarotty
North Ipswich, Qld
Australia

September 10, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8803011

Hi fellow gardener's,

So gratefull for all idea's posted.
Going to look at the link to E-Buckets now so should be interesting to read.

oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Thank-You All.

Debi
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

September 27, 2011
2:19 AM

Post #8826108

Debi , just saw your post great to see your well a big job to get your new yard set up here is my idea there is a gap under the fence go to a fruit shop and ask if they can give you some of the styloform white boxes they get the vegies delivered in you could line them along in front of the fence they will block the opening each fortnight when your shopping buy a bag of potting mix and a pkt of seeds thate will be the start of your summer salade growing ready to eat .
When you buy a bunch of celery cut the bottom of you can plant thate bottom also spring onions the same way . can also use any old tomatoes to grow new bushes .
Any time your out walking and you see people are cutting back plants dont be shy ask if you can have a few pieces in no time at all you will have a nice little green area out back .
Hope this was a help God bless elaine.
orchid923
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8834219

Just saw your post also -- so go vertical with large pots. Get three huge ones, putting two not quite side by side, with a space between them that is just a bit smaller than the third pot. Place this third pot on top, straddling the other two. You will have plenty of space for tomato plants, peppers and if you piut a trellis or some such type of wire grid behind it, you can even have beans.

Try vertical gardening (there's lots of information out there on this). You can grow more veggies in a much smaller area with vertical gardening. It takes less water, fertilizing and space. I've just prepared my raised bed that is 8 ft x 2 feet and about 10 inches deep.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Self-contained Box Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
EB von219 3 Aug 8, 2008 4:01 AM
Welcome to the Self-contained box garden forum melody 44 Sep 25, 2008 3:01 PM
Question about Spinach and EB's? IO1 23 Oct 13, 2008 8:48 PM
Never had one, How do I make my own? tetleytuna 3 Sep 21, 2008 4:46 PM
Threads related to this topic (please read and respond) tetleytuna 23 Jun 24, 2014 3:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America