Some of my more unusual gingers.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

This year was an amazing year .. made lots of new trades for some extraordinary Gingers!

These are Curcuma. The one on the left is just plain Curcuma .. it has the leaves of the Hidden Ginger but the flower is above the leaves. The one on the right, alismatifolia has the same flower form but the leaves are totally different, not upright like the Hidden Ginger.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Also acquired some new Globba. the pictures are of the White Dragon and the Mauve. I also have a solid yellow but I just got it a few weeks ago and it hasn't bloomed yet.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have another Curcuma that is just starting to open. This one is Curcuma gracillima - Candy Cane. I'm getting real impatient for this one to open!

I think they all fall under the Common Name Siam Tulip.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mulberry, FL

These are pretty common in the south one of my favorites is Turmeric flower its pretty I have the candy cane stripe too would be nice if the flower was bigger more showy

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Saint Gabriel, LA

Just a side note, 'Candy Cane' was originally introduced as C gracillima but later determined to be a new species, it's since been published as Curcuma rhabdota. It's one of my favorites

Tim Chapman

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info .. I'll change the name on the pictures.

Dana I'm sure that Florida has lots more interesting plants than the general south.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.