Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Chocolate Raspberry Jam

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 4, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8761153

Having a bumper crop of berries this year, I searched online for new ideas and found this one.

To your regular berry jam recipe, add 1 bar of gourmet chocolate to the berries when cooking down. I used Ghiriadelli 86% cocoa, low sugar pectin, 5 C sugar, 6 C crushed berries, and a dash of vanilla.

Very subtle chocolate undertone to the berries, and a bit darker than the usual jewel tone of raspberry jam. Delicious, and will make good holiday gifts.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 17, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8761158

You're kidding, right? Holiday gifts? How about spread on toast tomorrow morning?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8761185

Oh, we've been eating it up as fast as I put it up -- but squirreling some away for the bleak winter months. And, still have a couple gallons of berries in the freezer yet to process. Meanwhile, raspberry vinegar and liquer are both soaking in gallon jars. Berry good year for me.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8761200

Can you still just water bath the jam or do you have to use a pressure cooker?
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8761253

Water bath 10 minutes unless you plan to eat it right away, then you can just put the lids on and let them seal. I don't usually process jams as the only 'danger' I am aware of is mold, which is easily detected. Adding in the chocolate, though, was a bit of a wild card for me so I've kept these refrigerated and plan to water bath batches for winter use.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America