Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Seed Germination: Cobaea scandes germination

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

August 17, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8761212

Hello,

Tried everything to germinate these seeds but no success. I got seeds from two different sources so no problem with seed. My climate is typical subtropical. Right now it is monsoon and fall is coming ahead in october. Tried zip lock baggie method as well as soil mix and few other methods. Kept in shade, kept in darkness, soaked in water, nothing working so far. Any tips??

Ps: With seeds as large as cobaea scandens, i never expected they would be difficult to germinate. The only germination problem i ever had was with small seeds.

Khabbab
http://www.lahoregardening.com
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

August 18, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8763909

The data bases say they should germinate at 70F, but the Tom Clothier one suggests placing the seeds vertically in the medium.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 29, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8783316

I start these very year in March (indoors). I soak the seeds in hydrogen peroxide & water 1:3 ratio for a few hours, but not more than 12 hours. This will soften the seed coat and helpwith germination. Sow to the recommended depth in a 4" pot. You should have germination within a few days. Keep the medium evenly moist, but not saturated. My vine has just started blooming. It is about 5 feet wide and about 15 feet tall. I didn't have a trellis tall enough, so I think I will put up some mesh above the trellis.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America