Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 17, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8761257

I love the large growing Vintage Violets, like Anna Kreeck and Chantacleer. They make me think of what shows must have been like long ago. I've only been growing a couple years and am not familiar with all their names. Can ya'll help me out? What have been your favorite biggies over the years?

Thumbnail by jamiew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
11:50 AM

Post #8763249

Jamie,
Most of the large vintage I have grown are nowhere to be found anymore.Your picture is gorgeous! How do you grow yours?

Lynn
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 18, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8763642

I think I may have asked this question previously; I'm so embarrassed. Thanks for answering. Linda put an asterisk for me by her vintage violets and I just ordered some large growing varieties. I use Optimara soil and mix in perlite or vermiculite. I use a couple different fertilizers that are even #'s along with a drop of superthrive once in a while, then change to high P # before a show. I follow the recommended disbudding chart in Grow for Show. I use Oyama pots and no wicks because it's easier.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8764960

Jamie,
Don't be embarrassed! I think it's a great topic.I have recently received some vintage leaves,so hopefully I will have some later.I don't know how old it is,but Fisherman's Paradise is a beautiful large grower.It's on my want list.
Do you make your Oyama pots or buy them?
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 19, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8765171

One of the leaves I just got is Fisherman's Paradise. I'd love to share a little starter with you once they've grown out. I bought the Oyama pots a long while back, but use azalea pans when the plants get too large. There was a nice thread on making your own oyamas and I've done that too, very cost efficient.
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8765185

Jannich made me a beautiful handpainted one.I have no talent myself and have not been able to find reasonably priced Oyamas in the amount I would need.
I would absolutely love a start! By then some of mine should be more grown out.
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8768363

jamiew,thats a beautiful AV your growing! Have you checked the AVSA website? years ago there was a list of vintage AV's.

Lynn, That pot wasn't handpaint it was a sticker.LOL.what size homemade oyama pots would you need?

I drink alot of water so I've been making these,

http://www.toppers-place.com/pop_bottle_pots.htm

Have a great day.Jan
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 21, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8768482

Thanks for the link. I like her pop toppers. She sounds like a fun, creative person with lots of energy! I've got Thyroid issues too and now hyperparathyroid. I think that's why my memory is 'challenged'.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 21, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8768528

"happy cricket" is one of the largest I have ever seen. An oldie.

Your AV is awesome. Just Beautiful, I just lost "Anne Kreek" took almost one year to get it going and due to neglect now she is gone.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2011 11:28 AM
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8768621

Great site Jan! I would need Oyama pots for Standards,semis and minis.Lots of them LOL.

Lynn
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8769075

Another friend of mine just gave me that link last week and just gave in to buying a soldering iron HA!!! She told me it works for her like a wick with no wick. The key is to pack the end that had the cap real good. I still LOVE Jan's homemade pots though and always trying to find containers to make them. I don't buy enough of the small yogurt cups to make them with. Lynn, I thought Jan had painted mine too but she corrected me on it LOL!!! Awesome job but anything Jan does is outstanding.

Isn't there a variegated standard with just the name of Ann??? The foliage itself is stunning. I will find it one day.

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8769198

Yes Bonnie has Ann and it is georgeous!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8769465

That's where I saw it, Sis!!! Thanks, I couldn't remember. She can make anything gorgeous but that one was exceptional.

Connie
GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8770465

The largest violet I ever grew and was easy to grow was Harbor Blue at over 2 ft. across. But, the thing is, it would take tons of flowers to make the plant look balanced. It had a bouquet in the middle but it looked funny compared to the over all size of the plant. It's a rather plain looking violet but a good classic one. Nice for natural light too.

Harbor Blue (6174) 02/24/1986 (T. Weber) Single light blue/darker eye. Dark green, plain/red back. Large

Your variegated violet is gorgeous, Jamie! What is the variety?

Heidi
GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8770790

Another oldie is 'Tiger' and a mature plant can be quite large.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orchids00001/3031183650/in/photostream

Tiger (3433) 06/01/1978 (I. Fredette) Semidouble dark blue-violet. Variegated. Large
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 22, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8770978

Wow, Tiger is gorgeous! Someone on Dave's sent me a leaf of Harbor Blue in a trade last year (I think it was a guy). It is doing wonderfully for me so far. I'll be looking for Happy Cricket and Tiger now.

Helene, would you like a leaf of Anna Kreck? Its variegated leaves are so sensitive to the oil in my skin. I try to groom with cloth around my fingers, but the last time neglected that and got brown 'finger spots' on a leaf. It's a healthy young leaf and needs to be groomed out now and ought to propagate nicely.

Here's the Harbor Blue in a 4in pot that came from the trade leaf last year. It's 10 inch wide. Heidi's 2 footer must have been incredible!! I would have loved to have seen it.

Thumbnail by jamiew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8771010

Tiger does have gorgeous foliage!!!

Connie
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
11:49 AM

Post #8771122

Blue Bender is a huge old variety,but I don't think it can be found anymore.It has very dark leaves,blooms in bouquets and grows symmetrical SP? all by itself.

Lynn
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 22, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8771181

Its so sad that those wonderful varieties are gone. I'll put blue blender on my list to look for too.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8771249

thank you for the offer.i thought I had 2 Anna Kreek small, just won't get off the pot. I have to look, my AV suffer missing the momma's attention.

I have so many issues here, Too hot, water too much chlorinealso too dry because AC on all day an night. Our temps are 05 and up everyday.I am hooked up to the irrigation systems and can draw water whenever it goes on. Hasn't been working in over a month. Do collect rain water, but LOL the lady that baby sits themkept saying that someone is using our pail water outside. LOL again, the pail was cracked. So I collected the past two weeks and there is never any water. BUT now I am smart. The pail was cracked. More work than having children. When I am ready to expand - may I ask then?
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 22, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8771514

Absolutely.
The heat and drought are terrible here too. One of my rain barrels has a leak, but it wouldn't be filled anyway with this scorching weather. I've had to move some av's away from the walls because it's cooler in the center of the room! The centers get so tight in the heat.
GoldLeaf91011
Frederick, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8771656

Jamie, look how nice your Harbor Blue is...so symmetrical...makes a great show plant and is seen as such so often. I wish I had a photo to show you of the huge one I grew for kicks. I had it wick watered with constant feeding and disbudding and repotting every 3 months. It's final potting was an 8" pan pot. It was fun to grow and see what the potential was.

Another one called 'Magnolia" grows very large by Marie Burns which any of hers will grow large and make a good show plant.
(6378) 09/20/1986 (M. Burns/R. Nadeau) Semidouble-double light pink. Black-green, ovate, pointed, glossy, pebbled/red back. Large
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 23, 2011
6:07 AM

Post #8772534

Thanks Heidi!
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 23, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8773316

Helene- I found Happy Cricket at Bloomlover's on ebay.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 24, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8774495

I have seen it around last year. Really have to cut back...With todays growing knowledge that plant can be huge. The leaves ten to be the size of a childs hand. Helene
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 24, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8774722

Wow!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America