Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

2011 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 3

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1187473/

Hard to believe that we are only on our 3rd thread for this summer. That is a real indication that things have been slow everywhere this year.

This message was edited Aug 17, 2011 2:44 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank Nan for the new thread, not only has it been slow, the mirgration already begun?

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for taking the initiative to start the new thread, Nanny. Great shot of your Hummer. I agree, that things have been slow this year. The hummers I have this year are not to use to me, because of all the rain we've had. They take off when I'm ready for a shot.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Yes migration has begun...and my males are definitely getting little pot bellies as the fatten up before they leave in the next few weeks.

Not so great shot! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Two male hummers have formed a truce. The mature male has staked out the big feeder and the juvi has the two smaller ones. Sometimes the juvi flies around the perched mature one like he's trying to start a fight. The mature male couldn't care less.

Here's the juvi male -- at least I think it's a male. Seem to see a spot on the throat every now and then. I call him Metro for metrosexual. He's perched on my dead Japanese Maple.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the mature male. They do like to perch on the dead stuff huh? Good thing there's plenty of that in my yard!

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Elphy, I think you're right. They do love to perch on dead tree branches. :))

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a beautiful pic Lily! Your dead things are prettier than my dead things!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dragonfly too seems to prefer dead branches or neutral color branches, here is a vitex with seedpods. Elphy what's a sweet thing to say.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lovely, Kim and Elphaba.

Preening on her favorite perch.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

After all that preening.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cute as can be!

Our little male in the river birch in the front yard.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So sweet!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice ones Burn and Nanny!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Question for your folks: I'm going to be vacationing soon. I usually change the hummer feeders every 3 or 4 days. If I leave the feeders up and I'm gone for a week, will I be endangering their health?

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Marlton, NJ

Can you put them in shade or part shade while your gone?

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, one of them is in the shade now.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yesterday, on the front feeder.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

In the front yard, on the crab apple tree.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Stafford County, VA

I was sitting on the deck watching the bluebirds when a hummer came to the hummingbird feeder, followed closely by another. They both took off, buzzing within inches of my heard. Then they flew straight up and were quickly out of my sight. I was holding a camera with a 400mm lens and I aimed it in the direction they had gone and held down the pre focus . To my surprise I saw them. They went back and forth above me for a minute or so before I lost them.I know the shots are not great quality but I was just surprised to get anything at all. They were at least 50 feet up and against a gray sky.

I can see it OK on my monitor. I hope it shows up for you.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

This is the next shot and it is rather weird. I don't know whose wings are whose but it makes an interesting profile.

cool!

Stafford County, VA

One more. This is more typical of the dozen or so shots I got. One would chase the other, then the chased became the chaser

looks like ballet in the air!!

my sad attempts today.....

Thumbnail by nanny_56

and this one....

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Dave, wow, I never could get them like that, way to fast for me , great shots!!!
Nanny I like the last shot, the way he position, with one leg up.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I couldn't capture a clearer pix, this is to say. I see these lovely daily too and recently have seen some males too.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
PERTH, Australia

Amazing shots, Dave.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots of your hummers everyone! My males will be leaving in a few days..but haven't been too cooperative with photo's. Here are a couple I have gotten though.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

these two were curious of each other..

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

last shot for now...hope i get a few more of the males.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I love your third pic Burd

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Love, love, every one single shot of them here.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

You got two in a shot, that's a great accomplishment, It's hard enough to get one!!! Lovely pics too, Burd.

Stafford County, VA

Using the 600mm lens with a 2x TC gives you a pretty close look but it is pretty hard to keep a hummer in focus and in the frame.

Stafford County, VA

This is where he hides out until he sees another hummer about to visit "his" feeder.

Stafford County, VA

Fortunately, I had another camera with a 300mm lens with me. It was a little easier to catch them with that combination.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.