Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
icarus7z7
De Funiak Springs, FL

August 17, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8761909

Grab a close-up - This photo is what first brought me to Daves Garden. I have a lot of trees around my house but this guy was on my back porch almost asking for a photo, and how could anyone turn him down? After a lot of research - if its not the Gonatista grisea (Florida bark mantis) or the Stagmomantis carolina, what is he, besides obviously a type of Praying Mantis? I haven't been able to find a name for this amazing looking creature, who happens to be living in DeFuniak Springs, Florida.

Thumbnail by icarus7z7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8762993

It appears you are correct in you ID. The patterns are variable and this one may be a male.
Happy1892
Wake Forest, NC

February 12, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9004493

That is a not a Florida Bark Mantis. That might be Stagmomantis floridensis! That is amazing!
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

February 13, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9004785

What are the key characters that reliably differentiate the species of Stagmomantis?
Happy1892
Wake Forest, NC

February 13, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9005408

That one does not look like a Stagmomantis limbata. Female Stagmomantis limbata have two white dots on their wings. Male Stagmomantis limbata have a green stripe on the side on their wings. Male Carolina Mantids do not have that green stripe. Female Carolina Mantids have black dots. There is not much information about mantids. So I do not know about other Stagmomantis species. Their might be another Stagmomantis species that has a green stripe on the side of a male Stagmomantis limbata. I think their are only five or six Stagmomantis species in America.
Happy1892
Wake Forest, NC

May 22, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9530121

No, that is probably a Carolina Mantis because the S. floridensis have the wing covering only half the abdomen and the carolina mantis 3 fourths of the abdomen I think. I read that the Carolina Mantids live in Florida.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America