Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Collecting tall garden seeds

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 1, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8762034

Does anybody know how to collect seeds from tall garden phlox? I've read where the seeds would look like balls and shoot out. I don't see anything that looks like balls on my garden phlox plants and see no seedlings germinating around it. Does anybody have any that they have collected from their phlox plants that you could show me a picture of what they look like?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 18, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8763297

I have no picture of it, but the seedheads look indeed like small brown balls. The seeds are in the balls.
I'm in the same zone as you, and my Phloxes haven't set seed yet. First blooming must be completely done and than it takes at least 4 weeks to ripe the seeds and often even longer, depending on the weather.

If you get no seedheads, you might have a cultivar. Breeders often 'build in' that their plants do not set seed, so if you want more plants, you'll need to buy them.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Jonna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America