-
AuthorContent

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 17, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8762199

sorry the first posting was the wrong photo although an ID on that will also help. This one is the one from the nursery sale. It goes dormant during winter and spring
Thanks
Mike

Thumbnail by microb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

GingerGrower
Anthony, FL

August 19, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8764487

It goes completly dormant, dies back? I looks like a Hedychium which are evergreen. It looks like one of Tom Woods short hybrids, like Tropis Bird. Are the flowers very fragrant?

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 19, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8764995

Thanks for the response GingerGrower.

Yes, it dies back completely. It is short in stature. Little or no fragrance on the flowers. Is Tom Woods in Hawaii?

Thanks

Mike
TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 19, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8765271

Mike, what Tim meant was that most Hedychiums, especially the hybrids dont go dormant in frost free environments. Since yours does go dormant I think it suggests it is a species that always goes dormant. Based on size and the red stem it may be H. ellipticum or yunnanense. Tom Wood has produced many hybrids and had a nursery in Florida. He has since gone to work as a curator in China.
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 19, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8765381

Tejas, think you meant Richard.

H yunnanense might be it, don't think it could be H ellipticum. I just got starts of several spp in this subgenera / clade of Hedychium this summer. I haven't grown too many other than H gracile before. I have both ellipticum and yunnanense now in multiple forms but haven't bloomed any yet. There seem to be some others that don't quite fit into known spp.

There are some epiphytics that go dormant too, just to confuse things...And evergreen Himalayan spp that will grow as epiphytics etc.

Tim Chapman

TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 19, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8765415

Sorry, I wasnt paying attention. Tim, thanks for the additional input. My experience is that ellipticum has a wider leaf than what is showing but after growing several of the this group- ellipticum, gracile, spicatum, and yunnanense from several seed sources it's obvious that there is quite a bit a variability so I just went with a couple of the variables- size, dormancy in Hi. and pseudostem color. I'm far from being an expert at IDing Hedychiums so glad you jumped in.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 20, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8767039

Thanks for the responses. Obviously there is lot to learn. We don't seem to get the varieties out here in Hawaii unless I'm not looking in the right places. Maybe someone from Hawaii can jump in and let me know if there are local sources.

Can I get one more ID Please. I've only seen this in local nurseries once and, of course, had to have one. Its much whiter than the photo shows and does not form a clump. Bloom is about 5 - 6 feet off the ground.

thanks

Mike

Thumbnail by microb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TejasTropicals
Cleveland, TX

August 20, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8767865

That is Hedychium thrysiforme.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America