Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!: Great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!Replies: 7, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8762978

In memory of my grandad who grew Spider lilies back in Singapore, I now have them in my NC garden.
When neighbours asked me what they are, you should see the disbelief in their eyes, as they are only familiar with the 'other' spider lilies, the red Lycoris .
Thanks for writing this!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8763453

I was surprised when I found that these were known as Spider Lilies, too. I'd always associated that common name with the red Lycoris. These look much more "spidery," in my opinion, though. I wish they were hardy in my zone 5a garden, as I'd love to add these! They would be quite the conversation piece!

So neat that you have that memory of your granddad's garden, and grow these in his memory. Are they native or common in Singapore? I'm the same way with gladiolus and iris. I associate them so closely with my grandma and mom's gardens!

Thanks for commenting!

Angie
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

August 18, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8763661

I have the related Hymenocallis littoralis in my garden. It's very commonly grown here, especially in street plantings and along median strips in roads. They make a great border and flower for a long time. They like it out in full sun and seem to do well in any kind of soil, with or without plenty of water.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8763680

Very pretty! Isn't it funny how something very common and widely used in one part of the world is so exotic and unusual in another? It's part of why I love the international aspect of DG! The plants can be so widely divergent even within the continental US, I find it intriguing to see what is grown across the globe! On the flip side, I am surprised sometimes to see the very same plants that thrive in my central Illinois garden in pictures taken in Europe or Asia!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8763686

Angie, they thrive in Singapore, which is a tropical island.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8763701

I bet they *would* like the climate there. Sounds ideal! I can just imagine a mass planting of them! I wonder if you would smell them before you see them? :)

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8763705

I enjoyed learning about these, Angie. I visited Mammoth Caves in the springtime a couple of years ago, so was able to enjoy many of the spring wildflowers growing in the area. Would love to see one of these in person!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8763723

I did an article about some of the spring wildflowers there, a little over a year ago, I think. I didn't get to go along on this trip, but my husband said these were just growing along the roadsides! He was driving down the road when he noticed them, screeched to a stop (lucky no one was behind him!), backed up, and took a whole bunch of pictures, at a few different locations, just because he knew I would be intrigued by them. I've trained him well--he was sure to take some of the whole plant, including foliage, and some close-ups. He even did one with his John Deere hat beside it, to show scale! LOL I thought it was so sweet that he thought to do that for me.

Here's a link to the other article about Mammoth Cave National Park, if you are interested. ;)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2862/

My husband is a little obsessed with Mammoth Cave. Even our license plates are Mammoth Cave related. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Zone 9 FlaFlower 3 Aug 23, 2011 2:18 PM
Spider Lily Klug 1 Aug 22, 2011 1:59 PM
Hymenocalis Occidentalis-Caroliniana nagmolia1492 1 Aug 23, 2011 2:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America