-
AuthorContent
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8763086

My home was built in the mid-70s and the particle board used for the drawers has been disintegrating. I was able to do some re-building (I found using pop rivets worked best as wood screws just mangled the old particle board) but eventually found that the bottom protion that rides on the rollers at the front of the cabinet also began falling apart.

So, I got some 'fast track' kits from BHK. They have been very affordable as well as easy to assemble. I got new center rollers at Lowes and a couple of front rollers needed rplacemnt too. I did 2 at the start just to check out the difficulty level. I am doing 5 now and will finish with an order for 6 more later on. A little silicone lube has been helpful too on the old center channels and front rollers.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8763147

WOW! Show us pictures. It sounds as if you know what you are doing as well as how to do it!!
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8764438

KayJones wrote:WOW! Show us pictures. It sounds as if you know what you are doing as well as how to do it!!

I might be able to get some pictures eventually. I have already glued together the kits I have, but I can def. get some pics of the problems with the old drawers, what I did as repairs, how they are failing, and the process for replacing with the new boxes if anyone is interested.

I really like BHK. They will sell you 1 or 1,000 pieces and, while not exactly 'cheap' , they are very good quality ofr the price, delivery is very quick and their packaging is great.

I also use Franklin Titebond III wood glue and got a Wolfcraft 'band clamp' from Amazon to help with assembling. It's very easy really.

I will try to build a collection of pictures.

I found a video! skip to about the 4 minute mark. At about 5:02 he picks up what I order. Russian Birch plywood, prefinished with rolled top edge. It has dowel construction and I get them unassembled and glue them togther myself. So far, they have been less than $20 each delivered. I have only done 3 1/2" tall drawers. The next 6 I order will be deeper so, I dunno how much xtra they will cost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG5U11YkP2s

BHK ; http://www.bhkofamerica.com/

(I email Audra with my order, she's great. Or just call them - I dunno what that green book is in the video lol!)

here's a link to the clamp I bought;

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfcraft-3416405-Band-Clamp/dp/B0000DD1P8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313761357&sr=8-2

the glue;
http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-International-1415-Titebond-Ultimate/dp/B0002YQ3KU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1313761403&sr=1-1

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 7:18 AM

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 7:43 AM

This message was edited Aug 19, 2011 8:37 AM
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 19, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8764590

Thanks for sharing the source.

I would be highly unlikely to ever use particle board in any reconstruction, but what BHK offers in Ply or solid wood looks GREAT!

I especially like the fact that they will supply dove or finger jointed drawers.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2011
8:38 AM

Post #8764646

Bubba_MoCity wrote:Thanks for sharing the source.

I would be highly unlikely to ever use particle board in any reconstruction, but what BHK offers in Ply or solid wood looks GREAT!

I especially like the fact that they will supply dove or finger jointed drawers.

we just got tired of the sawdust sprinkling into the cabinets and drawers below. Some of the ones I repaired are still usaebale, but since BHK makes it easy to space out my orders, I'm just doing a few as I get the time/money. I started with 2 of the worst in the kitchen, now I'm doing the top drawers in the bathrooms and the remaining top drawers in the kitchen. Then I'll order the 'deep' drawers. maybe to work on during the holidays. Not sure at present.

If the drawers had been built with this stuff I'm getting from BHK - they wouldn't be falling apart now. If you have a table or radial arm saw - you could buy the pre-slotted (dadoed?) boards and cut your own sides, then cut the bottoms of course.
These knocked-down kits from BHK have been perfect for me though. A few squirts of glue, tapping from a rawhide mallet, put on the clamp - then later just transfer the handle holes to the front, put on a new rear-center track roller, move the drawer front over (I use a little glue on those in addition to the handle hardware retaining them.) And install.

really, sharing the BHK source was why I posted. no connection to them other than a satisfied customer.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 9:37 AM
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9129111

Just reporting i got my final 6 kits, very happy with the entire BHK 'fast track drawer' experience. Great communication with Audra via email, good prices, great workmanship and finish, fast shipping.

perfect for someone looking for a 'mid-level' DIY cabinet drawer repair/replacement solution.
ayesha_irshad

December 20, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9362789

i also want to develop drawer for my wooden bed so that i may convert the underneath space into drawer so that i can utilize it effeciently... kindly give me some ideas!!
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9362875

not being familiar with either the construction style of the bed or availability of components in pakistan makes it difficult to suggest anything. keep in mind, I simply moved over existing hardware (or, rpelaced with like pieces in a few instance) and did need to 'engineer' a solution. Just replacing bad wood actually.

Others here may be able to help, but it likely will require posting some drawings or pictures of the bed.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America