Cut Chenille Quilt

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I went yesterday to my local quilt shop and the owner had the most beautiful cuddly cut chenille baby quilt there.
It looks pretty easy to make and I thought it would be great to make a lap quilt or bigger from the Flannel that I got at 50% off.

I found these intructions online:
http://www.aestheticnest.com/2010/08/sewing-heirloom-cut-chenille-baby.html

Has anyone ever made one of these and if so how would I go about making a bigger quilt. I would prefer different (layered) blocks, maybe 20"x20" but I don`t know how you would go about to attach all the blocks together. Was thinking maybe like a rag quilt, with seams facing right side, but not sure how that would fray afterwards or if that would become way to bulky.
Or maybe sashing between the blocks, but then I need sashing for front and back.

Any ideas or input would be aprechiated.

Thea

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

This looks like awesome fun. Wait until a certain granddaughter sees this. She thought a rag quilt was fun, she'll love this.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I love this. I must look and find one of these cutters!!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

siliolegma...oh I am sure she would love that...I couldn`t get over it how fluffy and cuddly the chenille was. At first I thought it was a blanket knitted with chenille/novelty yarn.

Barb I am heading later to my QS and if she still has a cutter I will pick you one up!!
The cutter we have here is different then the one in the tutorial...it looks like a rottery cutter...so easy on the hands.
I am eager to start and I will make a pillow first (for my son) with the leftover from my "german flannel" quilt.
Will keep you updated on the progress.

Thea - that is so sweet of you. Now I must go through my fabrics and find some that will work for this!!!

Phoenix, AZ

Why, why, why did I open that link....(I will not start another blanket until my rag quilt is done.....maybe) :)

We are not enablers (she said with tongue in cheek!!!) It's so easy to fall in love with a new pattern, or fabric or technique. We are all guilty of it...

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

enablers each and everyone of you .... :) LOL another Tool to buy & one more on my must try list
wonder how this wouls come out with denim as the backing

Phoenix, AZ

Oooooh, denim :)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I am glad I am not the only one who gets excited seeing new techniques, just another thing to add to my "OMG must try this one too" list!!! lol

I bought yesterday the tool for it (one for me and one for Barb) and it is called a "Slash Cutter" (2 attachments...one straight and one for curves) and the Distributor is "Clover" and the cost was 21$.

As for using Demin, on the Tutorial page in the comments, one lady used Demin as backing. I guess it is just like a rag quilt and you can use different materials.

Hopefully I will be able to start on Monday on the pillow...will post pictures on the progress.

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I have the most clever new granddaughter (in-law). Learned to crochet, designed and made a diaper bag. Said "grandma it needs a liner". Brought her a machine, sat with her for the basics. She made the liner...it fit perfectly...next project? she made a coat. I showed her the rag quilt and she went right out and got the fabric to start on. Yep she's gonna love this
Bless her heart she wants to move across the street so we can play sewing rooms together. In no time at all I just know she will be sewing circles around me. By the way, she's the lovely Noelle's mama.

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Karen, you are so lucky to have a sewing friend who is also a dear relative!! HOW cool is that??? Deep envy here!

Thea1962
thats just what I was thinking sqs with denim backing. ill have to check out the "Slash Cutter" the other one is a bit $$$ spendy

siliolegma
always nice to have a sewing/craft buddie

WOW I just googled the cutters such a deal at joanns
CloverŽ New Slash Rotary Cutter-28mm
# 4693289
reg. 15.99
sale 9.59
40% off Rotary Cutting Tools

OlfaŽ Chenille Cutter sale 17.99

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I've seen these made from all sorts of coordinating fabrics. And then they made rugs by putting a heavy fabric as the backing.

oh my rugs would be sweet !!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.