Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Optimara Texas not blue!

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seaechoorchids
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8764064

I just received an Optimara Texas today, and its blooming. Beautiful, healthy plant that is 9 inches across. Only problem is, the blooms it has are pinkish/red, and not blue! Have I been sent the wrong plant, or does this sometimes happen? Thanks.

Randi

Thumbnail by seaechoorchids
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jamiew
Montgomery, AL

August 19, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8764244

I've had Optimara's that revert back to one of the parents. I don't know the lineage of Texas, but this may be the case. Optimara's seem unstable to me, and can also sport, but I've never had a sport that seems like an improvement. If you do have a nice sport, you could propagate it 3 generations to prove stability and then choose a name and register it. If you search 'Optimara Sports' you should find many out there already. Let some others chime in on this.
seaechoorchids
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8764937

Well, I certainly hope it won't KEEP blooming this color, as I ordered it specificially because I wanted blue blooms! I also told the seller that. Originally I had ordered Kentucky, as in the picture, the blooms looked blue, but its listed as having purple blooms, whereas Texas blooms are described as blue. So the seller agreed to send me Texas instead.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America