Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Optimara Texas not blue!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I just received an Optimara Texas today, and its blooming. Beautiful, healthy plant that is 9 inches across. Only problem is, the blooms it has are pinkish/red, and not blue! Have I been sent the wrong plant, or does this sometimes happen? Thanks.

Thumbnail by seaechoorchids
Montgomery, AL

I've had Optimara's that revert back to one of the parents. I don't know the lineage of Texas, but this may be the case. Optimara's seem unstable to me, and can also sport, but I've never had a sport that seems like an improvement. If you do have a nice sport, you could propagate it 3 generations to prove stability and then choose a name and register it. If you search 'Optimara Sports' you should find many out there already. Let some others chime in on this.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Well, I certainly hope it won't KEEP blooming this color, as I ordered it specificially because I wanted blue blooms! I also told the seller that. Originally I had ordered Kentucky, as in the picture, the blooms looked blue, but its listed as having purple blooms, whereas Texas blooms are described as blue. So the seller agreed to send me Texas instead.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.