Does anyone have??

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm making this quilt for my other niece and just found out her sorority mascot is a frog. Does anyone have a frog print that would go with these? I'd really like green on green, or pink background with green frogs. I'll need enough to cut 3 or 4, 6 1/2" blocks from. I'll gladly trade hand-dyed fabric...or anything else in my stash.

Thumbnail by melody
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I don't have any Melody but in the latest catalog from Keepsake Quilting they had a frog fabric. I wish they would list manufacturers but they don't . You can check on line with them though.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Actually, I think I have pink w/green frogs........................

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I can go back to Hancocks, but I'm headed in the other direction this weekend...there's a store in Murray that I'll check, but if they don't have anything, I'll definitely like to trade with you Jean, if you've got a piece I found some on Ebay, but I have to buy a whole yard and who knows when I'll need pink and green frogs again.

I found the fabric Melody!!!! Bright pink w/little green frogs.
They will be in the mail tomorrow.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Woohoo! Thanks!

What would you like? I'll send you some more hand-dyed if you like...brights or muted?
Or maybe a sunprinted piece?????

If you'd rather have something else, I have some nice Christmas fabric that I unearthed (and forgot I had)

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

This is what I love about these threads--if you are searching for something, most likely someone has it and oh so willing to share. Glad you got your frogs.

The frogs have hopped into the mailbox; some butterfiles for Thunder flew in at the same time.
Melody - you are not obligated to send me anything.................but if you happened to have some sunprinted pieces lying about!!!!!

Gotta run - actually walk- my 5 mi loop.

Look at the stamps on the envelopes. They are "antique". The kind you have to lick to attach. When I went thru a box of "stuff" a found this little box full of odd & end stamps. So I've been using them. So far, no one has mentioned the funny stamps.

OK, the 1 day I have somewhere I absolutely have to be & have to make food to take with me, is the 1 day they call & say someone wants to come look at the house btwn 11 -1. OY. So I had to cut my walk short to get home. Luckily I had cleaned off the back deck this AM (because of the Open House tomorrow) but ad a lot of other tasks I had planned on tackling tonite/tomorrow AM.

Good news is, I shouldn't have to do much before the Open House - except clean the litter boxes.

So, I need to go finish making the pasta salad, then get in the shower, and get the bathroom cleaned up.

Wish us luck!!!!! THey will LOVE the house!!!!

Lexington Park, MD

Jean that is a good sign that they want to look at the house before the open house. Good luck.

I agree with Laura. Hope you sell soon and will get to move to sunny (hot, too) Florida. I can't wait to see what you do with the lovely building that is going to be your studio. Sending good luck!!!!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Melody, do you need more frog material? I know I have at least 2 different fabrics of frog/pink/green.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thanks.
Let me see where I am about Wednesday. I think I'm in pretty good shape though and the one piece will fill a color slot that I was missing. I was going to start sewing it together today, but she needs a toga made first. We went and got some slinky zebra stripe stuff this weekend and I'll have to have her here to actually make it, so I can fit it as I go.

Sounds like fun Melody. When my children were in band during high school, it was the rule to have toga parties immediately at some unsuspecting band parents home. I have had more than one good sheet destroyed before I finally got through to them they had a stack and then there was the "don't you dare touch" stack.

LOL, looking back now I guess we were lucky they weren't finding other things to do after a football game.

She "NEEDS" a toga made huh?? too much fun! Just let me know if you want me round up some frog stuff.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I know I'm supposed to help her over Christmas break make things for her little sister. They get them when they get back after break and they have to have so many home made gifts for various events...I might need frog fabric for that. Yep, let's do it. I'll probably need pink and green frogs for at least 3 more years...so having a stash of it might be prudent. (this is all new to me...I wasn't the sorority type in college)

Would you like some sun prints too?

LOL, no worries. I'll round up my frog fabric for you.

I went searching for my frog fabric and didn't find the one I thought I had but I do have some frog. TWO, one is pink & green (BRIGHT green) and the other is lavender background with green frogs. Want both? There is more than 1/2 yard each. I also have 2 prints that coordinate well with them. A dragon fly & butterfly print, and the other butterfly, all with bright green. I am going to ask my husband if he can take pictures for me.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hannah was just here getting her toga fitted and I asked her about the fabric and she thought that they'd make neat pillows, so yes, I'd like them. I've got you some sunprinted fabric ready to go (Jean should get hers tomorrow) and I'll sent it right out.

Thanks!

(here's my 'toga girl' in her ensemble)

Thumbnail by melody

Very pretty young lady. Toga is nice also...LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Very pretty on the inside too.
She's never given her parents a minute's trouble and maintains a 9.7 gpa. Works hard and pays for whatever her scholarships don't herself.
You couldn't ask for a better kid.

Congratulation! That is rare to find these days....I would find myself doing things for her also. She just glows in the picture.

Ok, i'll get it in the mail to you.

Melody - those sunprinted fabrics are WONDERFUL. That is what I need to learn to do.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Glad you liked them! They've been washed and heat set, so you can use them as you would anything else.

I didn't even take these outside to do them. I put some plastic down on my dining room table and let the afternoon sun do its thing.

I did these yesterday...

Thumbnail by melody
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

These are just so cool, I'm trying so hard not to get tempted.

Aw, come on Karen. "Cave in" like the rest of us. LOL

Aw, come on Karen. "Cave in" like the rest of us. LOL

Jean, stay safe as the mess comes through. I am not sure exactly where you are located in relation to the path but stay in touch.

We are @75mi from the coast and on a "high" spot (this side of MD is almost as flat & low as FL).
Plan to bring in anything that can blow away and all my Orchids.
Think the wind will be the issue.

As long as there is power, I'll be sewing.

Just keep us updated so we know you are okay. ......and to think you haven't even moved to Florida yet. LOL

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

I just might. Have to see how soon I can get my sewing room back up and running. I have kids,grands and greats coming in tonight to help us. Hubby and I are tearing around getting the preliminary stuff done so tomorrow we can dig right in. Then I know we will be at least a week or two sorting it all out. It's a real pain moving into a furnished place. Move out what is here, decide what to do with it (probably donate) then get our usual stuff moved in. Actually it's all our stuff but what's here is "cottage" grade.

Lexington Park, MD

Melody what is the dye process called above with the buttons?
So want to try this one.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

(I love to do this one with my antique buttons!) This is sun printing and it isn't actually a dye. It is a permanent fabric paint. It does slightly change the hand of the fabric, but not terribly.

You dampen your fabric and I like to mix the paints right on the fabric, but you can slightly thin them and mix them in a plate if you want. After you get your fabric painted, you sit it in a well-lit area and add your items you want to sun print.(full sun is best, but even artificial light works) I did these on my dining room table and they never left the house.

After they are dry, heat set with your iron for about 5 minutes (really hot, keep your iron moving) and then it can be washed. My friend Kathleen wraps hers in a piece of tinfoil and bakes them at 300 for 15 minutes. I've never done that, but she claims it works great.

Lexington Park, MD

So you just lay the items (buttons) on top of the fabric after painted?
Adding this to the list of things to do.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yep, anything that will block light. You can even scrunch the fabric for another look. Scrunch it up, and then smooth it out. for yet another look.

Strong sunlight makes the paint react quickly. (15 min) Artificial light or weaker natural light takes longer.

I have a yard full of oak leaves I can share!!!!!!

One of the quilt shows took a dark fabric, spread it out on the driveway in full sun, laid the leaves etc on & weighted them down with stones, then spritzed the fabric with a very week bleach solution, and left them for the day. I was amazed at how much the fabric "faded". I keep thinking I'll do that "some day".

Thank goodness it is only oak leaves. If I were closer I would help you rake them up. LOL
Trying to get my timer adjusted for my sprinklers---we are in really bad need of some rain!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Discharge prints, done with bleach: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/220/
Sunprints on silk: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1311/

I'll send some water down to you!!!!! There is still a river running down out street. I'm glad I don't live at the bottom of the hill.
My rain barrels have been full for weeks.
These aren't single leaves but groups of 4-6 - the ends of branches. Luckily as the siding of my house has dried, all the debris stuck to it are falling off. It looked really bad yesterday AM.

Good Jean, my water bill is starting to damage my budget.

Melody, thanks for the link--very interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.