Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

PlantFiles How-to's: Should invasive and noxious weeds be posted on this website?

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gnahcd
Santa Barbara, CA

August 19, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8764750

I am a weed management practitioner working for a gov't agency in California. I have posted a few weed pictures on this site for outreach and education, but I noted that one commenter appeared dismayed at finding yellow starthistle appearing on this site, apparently intended for plants of horticultural value. Should I stop with the weed pictures?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8764846

I hope you will keep posting the weeds--although in addition to the pictures, it's also helpful to add a comment about its weedy behavior if others haven't already pointed that out. Plant Files is a resource for education--without being able to look up what pictures of yellow star thistle how would anyone know whether that's the weed that's taking over their yard. And the comments allow people to research whether or not a plant is something they ought to put in their garden or not--there are some beautiful plants out there that can be thugs in some areas and the comments in Plant Files can help steer people away from things like that. Then there's the complication that plants behave differently in different areas--something that is a gorgeous native in one area of the world can be an aggressive invader somewhere else, so even if someone wanted to keep Plant Files limited to only things of horticultural value, that would be impossible.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8764855

Please continue to post, the pictures are a valuable resource. I agree, a weed to some is a treasure to another. I happen to like Queen Anne's Lace, here it's definately a weed.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

August 19, 2011
10:58 AM

Post #8764860

Please do keep posting your photos and comments. It's all very helpful, and PlantFiles is meant to be an informational resource for gardeners, and we all know that every garden has a few weeds. We welcome photos of all plants except those grown and used for illicit purposes.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8765296

Remember too, that this is a global resource - one person's invasive weed is another person's treasured native.

In particular, if adding comments, make the location context clear.

Resin
gnahcd
Santa Barbara, CA

August 23, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8773561

Thanks for the support and helpful comments. I will add pictures as I am able.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America