Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Are there stoves that are more canning friendly?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8765357

The kitchen in my 150 year old farm house is way to small to be able to do canning comfortably. I'm hoping to get a new kitchen and new stove before too long. My old stove has 4 burners that are too close together for my stock pots and canners, and they take forever to bring the water in them to a boil. ...So, I was wondering if there are stoves that perform better when canning? What is your favorite stove? ...I'm hoping to get one that has 5 or 6 burners also.

Before I invest in a new stove I thought I'd ask you, the folks that would know. :)
Thanks!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8765643

Here is a couple of links that I think do a good job explaining some of the factors to consider.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/50096/advice-on-buying-a-commercial-style-freestanding-range-for-the-home

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/33843/commercial-ranges-in-home-kitchen

Maybe you could go with a normal range and a dedicated single burn stove for a stock pot. Put stock pot stove in google for some interesting options

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 11:39 AM

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 11:40 AM
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8770819

I've used electric, gas, and wood stoves to can on. Gas is my preference, it is easiest to control the heat. I have a Thermador, not that happy with it, but it was one of only a few that had a down-draft rather than a hood.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8775396

Well, bonehead, if you're not happy with a Thermador, then I won't even look at them.

Doug 9345, I checked out the links you gave me. They were VERY helpful!! Thank you! All good info; I'm thankful to have read it before purchasing my stove!

The best selection I've found has been on the Sears website; lots to choose from. I want 5 or 6 burners and a configuration that can handle large stock pots. I'll probably end up at Sears...

Thanks!!!
:) Glenda
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 25, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8775958

I'm using a glass top that has the expandable burners. Measure the bottom of the largest pot that you have and make sure that you have a burner that is at least as big as that pot. That way you'll have a better distribution of heat and get a more consistent boil.

I'm currently using a Fridgidaire gallery model. I can value added products for 4 Farmer's markets and usually make around 50 batches of salsa a year and a multitude of relishes, jams, jellies and chutneys. It also has a fan in the oven that is wonderful for baking. I'm on my second stove in 5 years and make 1000-1200 batches of bread a year in my oven.

Also, go to a restraunt supply house and order your canning pots from them. They're heavier than anything anyone else puts out and have thicker bottoms. I haven't burned a pot of anything since I bought one. They'll run between $50-$70 but worth every penny.

Janet
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8779770

Kyday, good heads-up on the restaurant supply store. In my heavy canning days, I was so frustrated to never be able to find a water bath canner with enough head room for quarts - the typicaly speckled ones always boiled over. Seems I was just looking for an extra inch of depth to them. I now just use my pressure canner for everything - water bath in it as well, rather than having two systems.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8780118

Thanks for the lead on the restaurant supply pots; I'll check them out! :) ...From what I've read online, the commercial stoves are very noisy, dont' work well - lots of complaints, burn pots up, and other problems, so I'll just try to fing the largest residential stove I can find.

Ky, wow, that's a LOT of bread!!! ...Do you ever share bread recipies????? ;-) Would love to know your favorites!!
:-D

Adobe_Rose
Boise, ID
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9190512

I went down to Lowe's and bought the cheapest gas stove I could find. It had no electronic equipment on so the top was all burners. All the electronic gizmos take up about 1/4 of the top surface and I knew I wanted room for canning.

I love this stove and I prefer gas as you have almost instant heat control. I don't know the brand name.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America