Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Are there stoves that are more canning friendly?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 7, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8765357

The kitchen in my 150 year old farm house is way to small to be able to do canning comfortably. I'm hoping to get a new kitchen and new stove before too long. My old stove has 4 burners that are too close together for my stock pots and canners, and they take forever to bring the water in them to a boil. ...So, I was wondering if there are stoves that perform better when canning? What is your favorite stove? ...I'm hoping to get one that has 5 or 6 burners also.

Before I invest in a new stove I thought I'd ask you, the folks that would know. :)
Thanks!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8765643

Here is a couple of links that I think do a good job explaining some of the factors to consider.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/50096/advice-on-buying-a-commercial-style-freestanding-range-for-the-home

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/33843/commercial-ranges-in-home-kitchen

Maybe you could go with a normal range and a dedicated single burn stove for a stock pot. Put stock pot stove in google for some interesting options

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 11:39 AM

This message was edited Aug 22, 2011 11:40 AM
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
9:34 AM

Post #8770819

I've used electric, gas, and wood stoves to can on. Gas is my preference, it is easiest to control the heat. I have a Thermador, not that happy with it, but it was one of only a few that had a down-draft rather than a hood.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8775396

Well, bonehead, if you're not happy with a Thermador, then I won't even look at them.

Doug 9345, I checked out the links you gave me. They were VERY helpful!! Thank you! All good info; I'm thankful to have read it before purchasing my stove!

The best selection I've found has been on the Sears website; lots to choose from. I want 5 or 6 burners and a configuration that can handle large stock pots. I'll probably end up at Sears...

Thanks!!!
:) Glenda
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

August 25, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8775958

I'm using a glass top that has the expandable burners. Measure the bottom of the largest pot that you have and make sure that you have a burner that is at least as big as that pot. That way you'll have a better distribution of heat and get a more consistent boil.

I'm currently using a Fridgidaire gallery model. I can value added products for 4 Farmer's markets and usually make around 50 batches of salsa a year and a multitude of relishes, jams, jellies and chutneys. It also has a fan in the oven that is wonderful for baking. I'm on my second stove in 5 years and make 1000-1200 batches of bread a year in my oven.

Also, go to a restraunt supply house and order your canning pots from them. They're heavier than anything anyone else puts out and have thicker bottoms. I haven't burned a pot of anything since I bought one. They'll run between $50-$70 but worth every penny.

Janet
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8779770

Kyday, good heads-up on the restaurant supply store. In my heavy canning days, I was so frustrated to never be able to find a water bath canner with enough head room for quarts - the typicaly speckled ones always boiled over. Seems I was just looking for an extra inch of depth to them. I now just use my pressure canner for everything - water bath in it as well, rather than having two systems.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8780118

Thanks for the lead on the restaurant supply pots; I'll check them out! :) ...From what I've read online, the commercial stoves are very noisy, dont' work well - lots of complaints, burn pots up, and other problems, so I'll just try to fing the largest residential stove I can find.

Ky, wow, that's a LOT of bread!!! ...Do you ever share bread recipies????? ;-) Would love to know your favorites!!
:-D

Adobe_Rose
Boise, ID
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9190512

I went down to Lowe's and bought the cheapest gas stove I could find. It had no electronic equipment on so the top was all burners. All the electronic gizmos take up about 1/4 of the top surface and I knew I wanted room for canning.

I love this stove and I prefer gas as you have almost instant heat control. I don't know the brand name.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America