Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hydrangeas: Does anyone have Anna Bella Experience this Year?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 8, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 20, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8765966

Since my Invincibelle Spirit blooms are smaller than expected, I have been looking into the Anna Bella Does anyone out there have Anna Bella? Does it have big blooms like Annabelle? Does it flop after a big rain? Are you pleased thus far with it?
Thanks for any info, Gail
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8769711

I have 2 annabelle that do tend to flop in rain. I keep them upright with support. The blooms are good size and when they fade to green I spray them with white and burgundy floral spray and leave them on all winter. I love Annabelle because it is reliable and hardy.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8770201

I think GKay was talking about 'Bella Anna' - a pink variety of 'Annabelle'.

http://endlesssummerblooms.com/fi/retail/plants/bella-anna

GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8770203

Bookreader451 - Do they rebound a bit after a couple of days after the rain is over? How do you support them? That is a great idea about spraying them. Up here in the frozen tundra, that would be very pretty in the dead of winter to see some flower color!
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2011
4:01 AM

Post #8770207

hcmcdole - you are correct. I didn't even see the annabelle reference from bookreader - I just plowed forward with questions. ha. I saw some Bella Annas this weekend at a reputable nursery and the blooms looked suspiciously small. But I couldn't tell how old the blooms were. I have been bit with the Invincibelle Spirit as far as bloom size so I don't want to repeat that mistake.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8770210

I'm giving Invincibelle Spirit at least 3 more years to make something of itself. Same for Incrediball - it is not that impressive but it is a young plant.

My Annabelle has huge blooms for the first year so it looks like it will be a keeper but it was a good sized plant when I bought it.
rouge21
Canada
Canada
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8770309

hcmcdole wrote: "I'm giving Invincibelle Spirit at least 3 more years to make something of itself."

You are much more patient than I. If after the third summer in the ground I am not satisfied it is gone. There are so many beautiful perennials that can take its place.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8770627

Sorry yes I misread. I keep them supported with green fencing that is hidden by the foliage.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8770676

Rogue,

How big was your plant? Mine is a starter plant so I don't mind gving it some time.

I learned my lesson from a four inch pot of Snow Queen I got from Park Seed at my last house - I thought it was a joke but after seven years it filled out to be a very large shrub. Instant gratification with hydrangeas is an oxymoron.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America