Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: I Grew This!: It is sad

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 6, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8768335

I ask kids all the time the same question, and they don't know where their food comes from...That is why my company EarthSource services provides some free seminars, on econobotany and growing foodstuff with several different levels from K- 5th grade...It is fun to have a hands on veggie planting with kids...I encourage them to send me pics of what turns out.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8768412

I think we are going to need more of that. Earlier, when we had room on our tables, we posted a sign for the kids, "Our eggs come from hens, not cold storage." Drew a lot of interest.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 21, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8768548

Hi there Buffy690,

I think what you are doing with your company is a wonderful thing. Have the kids sent you photos of their crops? Education is definitely the key. Thank you for your efforts to help children understand the connection between what they eat and where the food actually comes from.

HI CountryGardens,

That's definitely a great way to gain someone's interest. I would love to see a photo of that sign. :)

Thank you both kindly for commenting on this article.

Take care,
Benny

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8768937

Ask & you shall receive.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8769099

I usually take the current years photos from the different classes, and create an appropriate age/understanding bound book, and send it to the class. It's educational, they usually donate to the school..little advertisement for my company as well...LOL...The private club meets pay for the free stuffs...:0)
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

August 22, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8772220

Around here, in "farm country", there are a few kids who started out in the city who won't know where their food really comes from. But ask the question and the answer is likely to be "From my daddy, he grows it!"
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8773553

That's cool My Littlest girl loves mama's garden, We grow all her favorites, I honestly believe her health is a result of all the fresh veggies she has available to her. We buy very little from the supermarket. Unless it is something tropical. Wish I had a greenhouse set up where I could grow the bananas, mangos, and papaya she loves as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
gardening surge here woodspirit1 9 Aug 8, 2008 8:48 AM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America