New to Forum

Omega, GA

Hi everyone. I have had the most enjoyment reading here in the Equine forum. I am from South Georgia, we are in the upper 90's and currently in a severe drought. We have been in the 100's and with our humidity the temps feel much higher. I own a white appaloosa mare named 'Scotchie', she is 14 yrs old and I've had her for 5 years now and plan to keep her till her time or my time is up. She is a trail horse which is the riding I enjoy most. Unfortunately in this heat I do not ride. In the heat of the summer she is groomed late in the evenings or given a bath (which she loves). I'm thinking of teaching her a few tricks while at the barn to keep her learning and not just getting spoilt from pats. lol! Do folks really ride in this heat? I keep reading 'How to keep cool riding in summer' in the horse magazines I recieve. Nope, just don't think any of what they suggest would work. I am anxiously awaiting Fall for cooler weather to ride. You have to ride almost, if not everyday to take advantage of what cooler days we do have. This is Scotchie.

Thumbnail by Scotchie
Richmond, TX

Welcome to the forum! Yes, I like some other crazy people do ride all summer, however there is no such thing as keeping cool. Good looking mare!

Omega, GA

Thank you porkpal. Scotchie is a real sweety. lol! Wouldn't call you crazy, just maybe you've gotten a little too hot a few too many times! I read you work with adoption horses. What an admirable thing to do. Keep up the good work! I love reading about your progress with the horses. Thanks for sharing with us.

South Hamilton, MA

Lovely lady. Ask her if she wants to go for a ride. heh, heh

Medina, OH

Welcome aboard! Know you will make some new friends within the group. Basil and Barley send their best to Scothcie.

Omega, GA

irisMA, Scotchie wants to know what's your weather like? lol!

skeeter thank you. I am sure Scotchie would love Basil and Barley, she has a much loved nanny goat as a pasture pal. When we ride Nala (the goat) goes along too. Reading all the past threads I feel as if I already know alot of you. I am thrilled to have found this site and be able to converse about horses and horsey topics with other horsey folks.

South Hamilton, MA

Showers a bit, but many people still ride the trails which wander all over town.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello Scotchie! Please forgive me for not welcoming you sooner. I have had a lot on my plate the last year but it's no excuse for being rude. It's great to have you amble on over. That's a good lookin' hoss ya got there.

We like trail riding too but haven't got to do much of it in the last 2 years. DH has been a pretty sick pup but things are looking up a bit. We went to a trail ride a couple hours from home but we didn't bring our horses. We just went and camped a night with old friends. It was good to see everybody but we missed riding. Look up "Knott County Trail Ride". They have a page on FB too. It's in Knott County, Ky. and they have a Spring and Fall ride. It's growing by leaps and bounds. I think there were over 10,000 there over the 3 day ride. It's a good one.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Scotchie - I'm in GA too! Beautiful photo!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey, Jenks!

Shepherd, MT

Hi New to this forum, been around horses all my life, had 9 horses when I was living in Wyoming. Now live in Montana and have 7 horses. This is " little Spirit", he is a Pryor Mountain Mustang

This message was edited Jan 21, 2012 11:30 AM

Thumbnail by Mainecoon
Richmond, TX

Welcome Mainecoon! That's a great looking horse; what is his job?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hold up, I gotta wipe the drool off my keyboard. Grullas are my favorite color and I have NEVER had one. That one is sure a looker!

Welcome to the nut house, Maine. It's friendly here. We don't seem to get as much traffic as we used to. I guess horse stuff kinda slows down when we can't do much riding.

We are down to 5 horses now. We had 12 at one time but had to downsize. We moved and didn't have a good place for so many anymore. DH has had health problems for quite a while (diabetes complications) and we have not ridden much. We love to trailride and camp out. Hoping to go to the big Knott County ride in May. Please jump right in with new threads about your critters.

Where did Scotchie go to?

Shepherd, MT

I got up to 14 horses, now down to 8. Only men can ride Little spirit, do not know why, he just does not like women, I bought the horses for myself to ride , he was not broke, so had him broke last July, one heck of a horse , 10 days on him, and the guy who broke him was swinging a rope and catching his feet with it, the horse just kept walking, he would be a good cow horses, quick on the feet, and get out from under you if you are not paying attention , when he was in the round pin , getting broke to the snaffle, he place a front foot in one spot and just rotated around in the same spot with that foot , he never changed spots, so he dug him a good size hole. I have to stay many people are anti mustang, but they are so sure footed, and can move maneuver easy, they learn it in the wild, The only thing about little spirit is he is hard to catch, it is a cat and mouse game to him, I dont know if it was from being rounded up by helicoptor then ran by four wheeler, & fourwheeler is the only way you can get him tires enough to catch

Richmond, TX

I have a few hard-to-catch horses; they have no good excuse except either they don't want to work or they find the game entertaining!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I think they must find it entertaining. I swear sometimes I see them smiling. lol

South Hamilton, MA

Jumper 2 is busy with helping at the therapeutic riding, so not on here as much. their horse is a mustang-Quarter horse cross. she is 22 but very active. Great feet according to the farier. We no longer have horses, although there are quite a few of them in town.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images