Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Remove the Queen excluder

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

August 21, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8768493

Hi,
My bees do not seem to be moving up to the next box. A bee keeper told me that he does not use the Queen excluder. Any thoughts out there? Should I take it out?

Thanks!
bees4u
Kent
United Kingdom

August 22, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8771323

They won't move up into the super this time of year now, I would take off all your supers and let them collect nectar for their winter food, they will need treating now for varroa. regards Jean
cfbloom
Marengo, IL

September 2, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8791009

Jean is right, it's too late in the season, but where is Los Gatos? What are your winter temperatures?
Here in northern Illinois, it's 90F probably for the last time this summer and I'm "compressing" the hives by removing a super every week. I need to get them down to 2 brood and 1 extra super by the end of September. It helps to feed them from October through Thanksgiving so they store up for winter.
I used to use excluders but a commercial beekeeper I know advised me not to. You might get some brood at the bottom of the second super in the early summer, but if you leave those frames in, they will hatch out and replace the brood cells with honeycomb.
Mix some powdered suger with corn or vegetable oil and spread it on the top frames and in the entrance before you close up the hive. It really helps suppress the mites.
I wrap my hives in rigid insulation for winter and keep at least 1 small bee-sized vent hole in the top super open all winter, even though the temp here will drop to -20-30F.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America