Show Us Your Feeders, vol. #16

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I was determined to see some Anna or Rufous hummingbirds while visiting family out West. So I set up this lovely hummingbird feeder for DD's garden. It didn't take long before the hummingbird found the feeder. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1139981/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Marlton, NJ

Very nice.
Thanks for the new thread Lily!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

aw that's cute. Glad they found it while you were there.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

That's a beautiful feeder! Nice hummer shot too -- way to get the wings in the picture!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is one of the feeders I replaced the old ones--it isn't very sturdy but pretty while it lasts. Hummingbirds (at home back East) love to come by to check it out every so often.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Redbellied discovering the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ahhh, mastering the task! ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have the same feeder too. I use it during the winter if we are expecting a heavy snow. I can fill it up and be good for 2 or 3 days. So not great but it serves a purpose. My MIL gave me the Humm-zinger back that I had given to my FIL a few years ago. He really loved watching the hummers. They put it right outside the kitchen window so he could sit at the table and watch them. So I now will have 3 of those for next year.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely hummingbird feeder! I'm glad those who make pretty glass feeders seem to have figured out that the feeder/bloom part needs to be on an upper surface and not be a bottom-facing spout... those bottom-dispensing ones always seem to leak (especially in the sun, less so in shade I'm told). I've been tempted by a couple of them lately, but so far I'm sticking with our little 3 hummzingers.

I have a plastic feeder just like Lily's, but mine has a green roof. Love the capacity (and being plastic the housing doesn't add much to the hanging weight of a full feeder), but had to stop using it this past winter because seeds just got spilled out too fast. I think it was a combination of bird action and wind, plus the fact that the bottom ledge doesn't have much of a rim on it.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

It also depends on what birds are eating at those kinds of feeders. Last year I found that the house finch are precision eaters, but those house sparrows are messy, throwing all the seed around while picking one seed out. Had to take it down and leave up the hopper feeder.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I agreed with your assessment on the feeder. I use the sunflower's seeds and peanuts because of the sizes (of the seeds), they do not spill out easily like millet's seeds. Besides, my Nuthatches and Titmice and Woodpeckers demand for peanuts, lol.

I have this hanging feeder. Of course when the critters get to them there is no way of stopping. But when the birds found them they often come back for more. Here is papa Cardinal bringing junior to the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

We had the feeders out back and the cats took to empting them getting after the hummers so I have moved them around and the one at the front seems to have the most activity...but the hardest to get pics...LOL. I think I am gonna move it and the pot next to it slightly so we can get pics from the front doors side windows...I think they like this little extra feeding along with their flowers...they even stop (really close) and give us the once over whenever we step onto the porch

Thumbnail by BUFFY690
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

By far, the simplier the hummingbirds feeder, the better I found them to be more practical. I had one with thin metals flowering decor. I think those are hazardous for those little one that chase one another at such high speed. JAO. (Just an opinion).

Here is a relatively new cage feeder. Although, it doesn't keep the squirrels out. It limits their access somewhat. This one is sturdier than most feeders that have had. Found this one from the big box store. Also, finches and smaller birds can get inside to the internal perches comfortably. Bigger birds such as Cardinals rely on the outside to perch and feed. So I though in the winter, or spring I may try this out to offer treats such as live treats for Blue Birds and Wrens.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

We removed the tomato birdhouse from the front bed and put another feeder further up in the front yard and I also put a one spout feeder over a hanging basket back in the back. The cats haven't notice a feeder is back and I think only one bird visits. The rest have dedicated themselves to defending the front feeders...LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good point, Marna... We did have more sparrows last winter, and that probably contributed to seeds spilling out so much. I put the feeder on the "gift" table at our recent swap, so we'll see if it works better in Baltimore! :-)

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

I have one hummingbird still hanging around in my fig tree, I guess he is the only one eating from the feeders since they stopped going down as fast...He lives in a prime location though between the hibiscus and cannas...LOL. We are removing the crooked part of out hangars thru the yard to replace with our screen feeders...A sqare feeder with screened botom, since the cardinals and other don't seem to like the hanging feeders. We are putting out our suet feeders as well, I have seen quite a few woodpeckers and nuthatches around lately. Nothing out today though beacuse the wind is absolutely terrible :o(
Anyone got a good homemade suet recipe, I think the birds are tired of my suet with sunflower seeds and peanut butter.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Just wanted to share a pic showing how a Red-bellied Woodpecker eats from a caged feeder...LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is a quick way to feed the birds. Spread peanut on an empty(duh) roll of TP then roll in some bird seed.
The White-crowned Sparrows were the first to find it, then the Downy and Hairy Woodpecker. This the second
one I've done and the rain didn't bother it.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

OMG...look at that tongue!! Will have to try that TP roll!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

What a great picture of the woodpecker, dellrose. Loved it and got a big laugh!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Rose, that's so cool of the Redbellied wp. Geez, what long tongue it has. lol And thank you for the great idea on the tp roll.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Rose, just love that Woodpecker shot. Good idea with the empty TT roll. Have to give that a try.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I wanted so bad to get some Blue Bird feeder for mealworms treat. I've tried open pedestal offering, in colorful bowls then resorted to this "feeder". No birds have found the mealworms yet. ((

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Near Central, IA(Zone 5a)

What a great thread, Lily! Dellrose, I like the idea about the TP roll and that Red-bellied sure is working hard. I love that picture.

We had a tube feeder this summer that didn't hold up to a bad storm, so replaced it with this monster. I think it once was blown off the hook, but it withstood the crash to the ground. Thus far, we've had House finches and Goldfinches eat from it. I hope more come because that thing holds a lot.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi all, nice pictures. Hope you don't mind a question here.

My feeder has been very active all spring and summer with cardinals, titmice, red-belly woodpeckers, blue jays, lots of sparrows and warblers. Just recently I noticed the birds are much more scarce and the ones that come are very wary.

Turns out there is a hawk in the neighborhood preying on the songbirds, and of course my yard is happy hunting ground with the feeder here. I surprised him with a loudly squawking blue jay in his talons yesterday, and scared him off enough that he dropped the jay and skedaddled. Jay was ok enough to fly away. Small hawk about 1ft. tall, reddish brown and white sort of stripey.

Anyway, I'm not so concerned with the type of hawk as I am with possibly providing more cover for the little birds so they can continue to come to the feeder. It is about 8ft. away from a huge stand of bamboo that provides good cover, but I'm wondering if I should maybe prune some branches from my (very prickly) bougainvillea or something, and festoon the top of the feeder with them? Anybody have suggestions? I can't put the feeder any closer to the bamboo or the squirrels will jump to the feeder too easily.

thx Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Marlton, NJ

Hi Elaine, Since your in Fla. I will let some of our Floridians know about your question so they can get back to you.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Lily...good luck getting the Blues to eat the mealworms. I haven't had any takers since the last batch fledged last summer. I don't have many left so it is just as well...I'll save them
in case we get some really cold weather.

Chilly...I have that same feeder and the birds clean it out in the winter.

Hope you get some answers on how to protect the birds from the hawk Elaine.

Glad y'all liked the TP feeder...the Starlings do too!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks all. Rose, I personally think the Starlings are very striking. Like Elaine, I enjoy the Hawks from a distance but not in my backyard. But I think nature has a way of keeping things in balance. When Crows are around. Not many Hawks can stand a chance for the Crows will chase them away. For that very reason, I keep some food on pedestal and broad cast them out on the ground for Crows to keep them interest and frequent the garden and help keeping Hawks away.

SW, MN

Speaking of hawks, I'm going to pick up 1/2 dozen crow decoys today and see if that trick works. With predicted wind gusts of 50 mph today, I'll wait til tomorrow to hang them in the tree. I just hope it doesn't attract too many crows. :) I know a resident hawk is keeping my birds away.

DYZZY, it sounds like your culprit is a Sharp-shinned Hawk, I had one in my tree yesterday. They are very good birdie hunters.

I love the pic of the Red-belly. I've never actually seen the tongue on one.

Here is a pic of a Cooper's Hawk, which is very similar to the Sharp-shinned, except much larger. He had just finished a meal of Grackle.

Thumbnail by mnshutterbug
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow...that is a gorgeous Cooper's Hawk. We have hawks in our area but they usually move on in their own time. Right now there is an American Kestrel that visits daily and the
birds leave when he arrives. I saw him catch and eat a grasshopper the other day.

Near Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I hope it's ok to ask a question here, rather than start a new thread.

One of my children made a bird feeder as a gift. It is a hopper and he wants to paint the exterior. We are wondering if there is a need, even to use something like Thompson water sealer. Is paint safe for the birds at all?

Thanks.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Crow decoys! That might be a good answer for me, but won't they scare away the little birds as well? Where do you get decoys? Thanks for the suggestion and beautiful picture, Shutterbug. The Cooper's hawk in your shot looks a lot like my hawk, but as you say, may be bigger. I'm going to try for a shot of him/her this week.

Years ago I made a wooden feeder, and a knowledgeable friend advised me to use oil-base semi-transparent stain rather than paint. The stain soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top like paint does. So it doesn't tend to chip and flake off if a bird pecks at it. The feeder will last much longer if you do put something on the wood. Stains come in a nice array of colors now, too.

SW, MN

Up to a couple weeks ago, I was getting a couple crows drinking from my bird bath every day. I didn't seem to have a shortage of other birds at that time. I think they'll be fine. Any sporting goods should carry the decoys. If not, online sporting goods sites will have them. I can get them locally for $25 for 6.

Thanks for the comments.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wooohooo, this is as close as my Blue birds finding the treat I set out for them. Look!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
SW, MN

Your bronze feeder is just like one of mine, but yours looks like it needs a refill. About the only birds I get to that feeder are the chickadees.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Right you're. ^_^ I left it empty in hope that Blue Birds will have time to discover there are mealworms treat in that red ceramic feeder (without much distraction by other birds in the vicinity). By far that bronze feeder is pretty stout. I really have enjoyed it. Small birds like chicakadees are able to get inside to the inner tube. Larger birds such as Cardinals will perch outside and still have access to seeds from within.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Within this past couple of weeks, I've seen my yard birds going after berries, especially dogwood's berries. Most of all, I'm so excited to have found out the Blue Birds have finally found the meal worms that I've set out for them in the red ceramic feeder!. I've seen one actually went in side and looked for more....only it was empty for I've peeped into it half an hour ago. Woohooo. Time for me to put out more meal worms.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That's wonderful Lily...I am excited for you...lovely pic!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Rose, now I'll need to learn to fine tune the feeding time/schedule so they know to come back on a regular basic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.