AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8769605

I was determined to see some Anna or Rufous hummingbirds while visiting family out West. So I set up this lovely hummingbird feeder for DD's garden. It didn't take long before the hummingbird found the feeder. We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1139981/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 21, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8769782

Very nice.
Thanks for the new thread Lily!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8770363

aw that's cute. Glad they found it while you were there.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8770463

That's a beautiful feeder! Nice hummer shot too -- way to get the wings in the picture!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8771333

This is one of the feeders I replaced the old ones--it isn't very sturdy but pretty while it lasts. Hummingbirds (at home back East) love to come by to check it out every so often.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8771335

The Redbellied discovering the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8771339

Ahhh, mastering the task! ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8771912

I have the same feeder too. I use it during the winter if we are expecting a heavy snow. I can fill it up and be good for 2 or 3 days. So not great but it serves a purpose. My MIL gave me the Humm-zinger back that I had given to my FIL a few years ago. He really loved watching the hummers. They put it right outside the kitchen window so he could sit at the table and watch them. So I now will have 3 of those for next year.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8773813

Lovely hummingbird feeder! I'm glad those who make pretty glass feeders seem to have figured out that the feeder/bloom part needs to be on an upper surface and not be a bottom-facing spout... those bottom-dispensing ones always seem to leak (especially in the sun, less so in shade I'm told). I've been tempted by a couple of them lately, but so far I'm sticking with our little 3 hummzingers.

I have a plastic feeder just like Lily's, but mine has a green roof. Love the capacity (and being plastic the housing doesn't add much to the hanging weight of a full feeder), but had to stop using it this past winter because seeds just got spilled out too fast. I think it was a combination of bird action and wind, plus the fact that the bottom ledge doesn't have much of a rim on it.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8774201

It also depends on what birds are eating at those kinds of feeders. Last year I found that the house finch are precision eaters, but those house sparrows are messy, throwing all the seed around while picking one seed out. Had to take it down and leave up the hopper feeder.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8777937

I agreed with your assessment on the feeder. I use the sunflower's seeds and peanuts because of the sizes (of the seeds), they do not spill out easily like millet's seeds. Besides, my Nuthatches and Titmice and Woodpeckers demand for peanuts, lol.

I have this hanging feeder. Of course when the critters get to them there is no way of stopping. But when the birds found them they often come back for more. Here is papa Cardinal bringing junior to the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2011
11:37 PM

Post #8792223

We had the feeders out back and the cats took to empting them getting after the hummers so I have moved them around and the one at the front seems to have the most activity...but the hardest to get pics...LOL. I think I am gonna move it and the pot next to it slightly so we can get pics from the front doors side windows...I think they like this little extra feeding along with their flowers...they even stop (really close) and give us the once over whenever we step onto the porch

Thumbnail by BUFFY690

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8813244

By far, the simplier the hummingbirds feeder, the better I found them to be more practical. I had one with thin metals flowering decor. I think those are hazardous for those little one that chase one another at such high speed. JAO. (Just an opinion).

Here is a relatively new cage feeder. Although, it doesn't keep the squirrels out. It limits their access somewhat. This one is sturdier than most feeders that have had. Found this one from the big box store. Also, finches and smaller birds can get inside to the internal perches comfortably. Bigger birds such as Cardinals rely on the outside to perch and feed. So I though in the winter, or spring I may try this out to offer treats such as live treats for Blue Birds and Wrens.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8814432

We removed the tomato birdhouse from the front bed and put another feeder further up in the front yard and I also put a one spout feeder over a hanging basket back in the back. The cats haven't notice a feeder is back and I think only one bird visits. The rest have dedicated themselves to defending the front feeders...LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8819585

Good point, Marna... We did have more sparrows last winter, and that probably contributed to seeds spilling out so much. I put the feeder on the "gift" table at our recent swap, so we'll see if it works better in Baltimore! :-)
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8857071

I have one hummingbird still hanging around in my fig tree, I guess he is the only one eating from the feeders since they stopped going down as fast...He lives in a prime location though between the hibiscus and cannas...LOL. We are removing the crooked part of out hangars thru the yard to replace with our screen feeders...A sqare feeder with screened botom, since the cardinals and other don't seem to like the hanging feeders. We are putting out our suet feeders as well, I have seen quite a few woodpeckers and nuthatches around lately. Nothing out today though beacuse the wind is absolutely terrible :o(
Anyone got a good homemade suet recipe, I think the birds are tired of my suet with sunflower seeds and peanut butter.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8895730

Just wanted to share a pic showing how a Red-bellied Woodpecker eats from a caged feeder...LOL!

Thumbnail by dellrose

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8895739

Here is a quick way to feed the birds. Spread peanut on an empty(duh) roll of TP then roll in some bird seed.
The White-crowned Sparrows were the first to find it, then the Downy and Hairy Woodpecker. This the second
one I've done and the rain didn't bother it.

Thumbnail by dellrose

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8895790

OMG...look at that tongue!! Will have to try that TP roll!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8895792

What a great picture of the woodpecker, dellrose. Loved it and got a big laugh!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8896123

Rose, that's so cool of the Redbellied wp. Geez, what long tongue it has. lol And thank you for the great idea on the tp roll.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8904872

Rose, just love that Woodpecker shot. Good idea with the empty TT roll. Have to give that a try.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8904926

I wanted so bad to get some Blue Bird feeder for mealworms treat. I've tried open pedestal offering, in colorful bowls then resorted to this "feeder". No birds have found the mealworms yet. ((

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8904927

What a great thread, Lily! Dellrose, I like the idea about the TP roll and that Red-bellied sure is working hard. I love that picture.

We had a tube feeder this summer that didn't hold up to a bad storm, so replaced it with this monster. I think it once was blown off the hook, but it withstood the crash to the ground. Thus far, we've had House finches and Goldfinches eat from it. I hope more come because that thing holds a lot.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8905118

Hi all, nice pictures. Hope you don't mind a question here.

My feeder has been very active all spring and summer with cardinals, titmice, red-belly woodpeckers, blue jays, lots of sparrows and warblers. Just recently I noticed the birds are much more scarce and the ones that come are very wary.

Turns out there is a hawk in the neighborhood preying on the songbirds, and of course my yard is happy hunting ground with the feeder here. I surprised him with a loudly squawking blue jay in his talons yesterday, and scared him off enough that he dropped the jay and skedaddled. Jay was ok enough to fly away. Small hawk about 1ft. tall, reddish brown and white sort of stripey.

Anyway, I'm not so concerned with the type of hawk as I am with possibly providing more cover for the little birds so they can continue to come to the feeder. It is about 8ft. away from a huge stand of bamboo that provides good cover, but I'm wondering if I should maybe prune some branches from my (very prickly) bougainvillea or something, and festoon the top of the feeder with them? Anybody have suggestions? I can't put the feeder any closer to the bamboo or the squirrels will jump to the feeder too easily.

thx Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

November 25, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8905152

Hi Elaine, Since your in Fla. I will let some of our Floridians know about your question so they can get back to you.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8905408

Lily...good luck getting the Blues to eat the mealworms. I haven't had any takers since the last batch fledged last summer. I don't have many left so it is just as well...I'll save them
in case we get some really cold weather.

Chilly...I have that same feeder and the birds clean it out in the winter.

Hope you get some answers on how to protect the birds from the hawk Elaine.

Glad y'all liked the TP feeder...the Starlings do too!!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 25, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8905507

Thanks all. Rose, I personally think the Starlings are very striking. Like Elaine, I enjoy the Hawks from a distance but not in my backyard. But I think nature has a way of keeping things in balance. When Crows are around. Not many Hawks can stand a chance for the Crows will chase them away. For that very reason, I keep some food on pedestal and broad cast them out on the ground for Crows to keep them interest and frequent the garden and help keeping Hawks away.
mnshutterbug
SW, MN

November 26, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8906347

Speaking of hawks, I'm going to pick up 1/2 dozen crow decoys today and see if that trick works. With predicted wind gusts of 50 mph today, I'll wait til tomorrow to hang them in the tree. I just hope it doesn't attract too many crows. :) I know a resident hawk is keeping my birds away.

DYZZY, it sounds like your culprit is a Sharp-shinned Hawk, I had one in my tree yesterday. They are very good birdie hunters.

I love the pic of the Red-belly. I've never actually seen the tongue on one.

Here is a pic of a Cooper's Hawk, which is very similar to the Sharp-shinned, except much larger. He had just finished a meal of Grackle.

Thumbnail by mnshutterbug

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8906361

Wow...that is a gorgeous Cooper's Hawk. We have hawks in our area but they usually move on in their own time. Right now there is an American Kestrel that visits daily and the
birds leave when he arrives. I saw him catch and eat a grasshopper the other day.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8906371

I hope it's ok to ask a question here, rather than start a new thread.

One of my children made a bird feeder as a gift. It is a hopper and he wants to paint the exterior. We are wondering if there is a need, even to use something like Thompson water sealer. Is paint safe for the birds at all?

Thanks.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 26, 2011
9:39 AM

Post #8906420

Crow decoys! That might be a good answer for me, but won't they scare away the little birds as well? Where do you get decoys? Thanks for the suggestion and beautiful picture, Shutterbug. The Cooper's hawk in your shot looks a lot like my hawk, but as you say, may be bigger. I'm going to try for a shot of him/her this week.

Years ago I made a wooden feeder, and a knowledgeable friend advised me to use oil-base semi-transparent stain rather than paint. The stain soaks into the wood rather than sitting on top like paint does. So it doesn't tend to chip and flake off if a bird pecks at it. The feeder will last much longer if you do put something on the wood. Stains come in a nice array of colors now, too.
mnshutterbug
SW, MN

November 26, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8906457

Up to a couple weeks ago, I was getting a couple crows drinking from my bird bath every day. I didn't seem to have a shortage of other birds at that time. I think they'll be fine. Any sporting goods should carry the decoys. If not, online sporting goods sites will have them. I can get them locally for $25 for 6.

Thanks for the comments.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8907630

Wooohooo, this is as close as my Blue birds finding the treat I set out for them. Look!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8907635

Thumbnail by Lily_love

mnshutterbug
SW, MN

November 27, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8907719

Your bronze feeder is just like one of mine, but yours looks like it needs a refill. About the only birds I get to that feeder are the chickadees.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8907732

Right you're. ^_^ I left it empty in hope that Blue Birds will have time to discover there are mealworms treat in that red ceramic feeder (without much distraction by other birds in the vicinity). By far that bronze feeder is pretty stout. I really have enjoyed it. Small birds like chicakadees are able to get inside to the inner tube. Larger birds such as Cardinals will perch outside and still have access to seeds from within.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8911657

Within this past couple of weeks, I've seen my yard birds going after berries, especially dogwood's berries. Most of all, I'm so excited to have found out the Blue Birds have finally found the meal worms that I've set out for them in the red ceramic feeder!. I've seen one actually went in side and looked for more...only it was empty for I've peeped into it half an hour ago. Woohooo. Time for me to put out more meal worms.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2011 4:30 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8911676

That's wonderful Lily...I am excited for you...lovely pic!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8911696

Thank you Rose, now I'll need to learn to fine tune the feeding time/schedule so they know to come back on a regular basic.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8911759

I guess it always takes some time for birds to find a new feeder, and get confident enough to use it. Even when I take mine down to clean it, it takes a few days for the birds to get back to using it normally again.

An update on my hawk situation - very bizarre! Today I went outside to see lots of little birds flitting around in my biggest oak tree. The cardinals, titmice and Carolina wrens had been at the feeder for a while, too. As I was trying to get pictures, sitting right in the middle of the tree was that crazy hawk! It was almost like the little birds were keeping an eye on him. (or maybe he'd already caught somebody . . arg.) I tossed a handful of acorns at him and he took off. The little birds stayed - so they definitely knew he was there!

I did have a flock of crows in the neighborhood yesterday and didn't see hide nor feather of that hawk.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8911811

Thanks for sharing your story. Hope the crazy hawk is gone from the area. I set out more meal worms for the BBs. Tomorrow I'll check the feeder, by sunset this evening there were no takers. Common everyone, please come and share your birds feeders and the story that going on in the gardens.
Ladi_Burd
Norwalk, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8912346

WB Nuthatch enjoying my first batch of homemade suet...lol

Thumbnail by Ladi_Burd

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8912353

Congrats Ladi_Burd on your homemade suet success! What's a cutie pie!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8912373

Just in time for the harsh winter ahead. I'm so pleased my Blue Birds have successfully discovered the new feeder of a high protien protein- rich treat during the cold winter-months. There were much activity at the nest box where they perhaps roosted over night when temp. dipped down to the mid. 20'ish. Then upon breakfast hours. They headed over to the breakfast 'buffet' here:

This message was edited Dec 1, 2011 1:36 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8912408

O my gosh...Glad they found it!!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8912436

Thanks Dyzzypyxxy, We'll go ahead and do that.

Well, we started Project Feeder Watch here. We are already spending so much time looking at our feeders that we might as well do something with it.

I don't know if I will have any takers, but I am using the bottom portion of the Oriole feeder to put cut up grapes and dried berries in. Would the birds that usually eat fruit and berries in the winter go for something like this? It's hanging from a shepherd's hook, so sways a little in the breeze.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8912614

[quote] ...would the birds that usually ...[/quote] Chillybean, I don't have much experience with this type of feeding, but another member here may? Please share your observation here if any takers eventually?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8915838

Mr. Mrs. House Finch at the grain feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8919370

Chillibean, I have Bohemian waxwings enjoying the grapes and some cut up apples in winter. I go pick some Mountain ash berries in the fall for them as well. Robins also will eat them, but I see them more at the fruits, in spring. Another bird I see here some winter are the Pine Grosbeak, and they too eat the fruits. I've only seen one female here, last winter. I'm hoping they will come around this winter.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

December 6, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8919372

And here's the Robin with the cut up apples.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 7, 2011
12:13 PM

Post #8920219

that's too good burn!

I rarely have any takers for fruit here through the winter. Just the types of birds I get, I guess.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 8, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8921876

Burn, love the waxwings and the robin eating fruit. Great shots.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8925427

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share. I tried a squirrel baffle for the first time. Day 1, the squirrels were baffled! No squirrel the first day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8925473

Hope it works for ya!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8925527

They're quite intelligent animals. They come close to inspect the device, they're working on a scam at how to overcome it. lol.
Ladi_Burd
Norwalk, OH
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8926362

Always plenty of House Sparrows at the feeder

Thumbnail by Ladi_Burd

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8926620

Ladi_Burd, I too saw a pair at the grain feeder in the front yard the other day. But they didn't stay very long. Wooohooo! I have got myself a new Orioles feeder. I've nectar and an Orange half plus four jam holders. I'm hoping to find some Orioles passing through, or even entice them to stay awhile.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8926786

Oh I had that one...really liked it too! I forgot to bring it in one night and the raccoons tore it up...my bad! :(

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8926804

Grrrr those racoons! Sorry to hear that Nan. Did you get alot of Orioles coming for the nectar and jelly?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8928075

Oh! I'm very excited. I've just discovered a new addition to the No/No line of bird feeders, one meant for mixed seed. I really need to try something other than the little house-shaped cedar hopper feeder for my millet & safflower mix, as the sparrows empty it much too quickly (mostly by kicking the seed around).

I really love the hourglass feeder (which I use with BOS & peanuts) and the finch feeder (nyger) from this company, and I bet this new feeder will be just as well designed. :-)

Here's the finch feeder, better than any tube feeder I've tried for keeping seed dry & flowing, and it's holding up really well. It even has "baffles" inside so some seed stays up top and in the center as the seed level drops.

Thumbnail by critterologist

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8928175

That looks like a good one crit. :)

Oh up date on the new baffle, no squirrels seen on this so far.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8928397

Lily...The orioles did use it. It really seemed to help them locate my yard when I first started attracting them.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8931614

Appreciate the report on the baffle, Lily... I have a feeder hanging from a deck railing flagpole (putting it right in front of a window), and I might try a baffle there...the feeder has millet & safflower, not really their favorite stuff, but they go anyway just to check it out and then they spill a ton of seed in the process. I'm thinking if it's more of a challenge to reach it plus not having yummy sunflower seeds (which they can get at another feeder!), maybe they'll leave it alone even if the baffle doesn't make it totally squirrel-proof.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2011
8:34 AM

Post #8931932

I've had some success at keeping the squirrels from climbing the (aluminum) pole for my feeder by greasing the pole. Plus it's fun to watch them try to climb then slide back down. I tried Pam spray but it didn't last well so now I use vaseline or Super Lube synthetic grease. (best but more expensive). It lasts a couple of weeks in cool weather.

Elaine
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8936770

Grease may work better than a baffle on my little flagpole mount. Thanks! I've tried vaseline (years ago) but it was really a mess (think I was doing this in warmer weather & it melted... probably was too generous when applying, also).

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 20, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8936820

Yeah, I used my hands at first, but evolved to using an old toothbrush to apply the grease. Now I keep it with the tube, fastened with an elastic band and a little piece of paper towel over the greasy brush to keep things clean. No more greasy hands!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8938062

Very clever with your creativity. LOL, I just discovered my Squirrels has won over the Baffle. :((

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8938070

Caught it red-pawed. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8946529

I've received the coolest birds feeder in the whole world over the holidays. It was nice and sunny outdoor, although little cold, DH help hung the feeder;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8946542

Lily, I got a new feeder from Santa, too. So far it has frustrated the squirrels, but they jump from it to the other feeder.

So how long does it take for the birdies to get used to it? Thus far I have one titmouse using it, the rest of the birds sit on the other feeder about 4ft. away and just look at it.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8946581

Hi Pyxxy, I regcon it won't take them long, if the Titmice found it first, soon others will too. :)

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 29, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8946636

And weren't you so right about that, I came outside just now to find the daddy cardinal sitting there having a nice feed.

Life's good!

Cheers Elaine

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 29, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8947046

Hi Elaine, I'm so glad the Cardinal Daddy also found the feeder. I hung mine, but was gone all day, though there is evidence the seeds were going down( missing). I'm not sure which ones were the first lucky ones that have found mine. Please share pix of the feeder as they get busy. I'll-- sometime tomorrow if I get any luck.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 12, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #8964651

My new 'squirrel proof' feeder (yet to be proven) is now very popular with the titmice, house sparrows and the female cardinal. The male cardinal, jays and Carolina wrens still prefer the old feeder although I have seen them all take seeds at the new one.

The sparrows throw around a lot of seeds from the new feeder, and everybody is spending way too much time on the ground for my liking. I use caked seeds on the other feeder so the seed doesn't drop to the ground as much. My (fat, lazy) cat has been spotted lying in wait, but I think she is very likely not fast enough any more to actually catch a bird. Still, I'd rather not tempt her.

I'm going to spread a piece of old window screen on the ground under there to collect the dropped seed. Hoping the sparrows will migrate soon and that will alleviate the mess and hazard.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8964705

I really like that feeder dyzzypyxxy. Nice shot of the birdies too.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #8974204

So Elaine [quote] I'm going to spread a piece of old window screen on the ground under there to collect the dropped seed ...[/quote] How did that turn out? GG, how is the weather there in Pa. this time of year? Have you got alot of birds coming to the backyard feeders?

Down here, 'Old man winter comes and goes unpredictably this year. Some days we find ourselves in the low twenties, others back up to the 60-70'ish. So I decided to give my little friends some treats. I found this little "wire mesh feeder" and set up a millies buffet for the birds... Of all the winged juwels out there guess which one is likely to find the treats first?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #8974210

No sooner than when I came back inside and spied on the "pioneer" at the feeder. Look who shows up?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #8974213

Here is the culprit. lol Soon thereafter, Titmice and Carolina Chikadees followed suit. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #8974309

Like the wren LL. Weather here is cold with a strong wind. Rain/snow/sleet/freezing rain are on the menu for us beginning tonight; then more tomorrow night into Saturday. We have only had one measurable snowfall here this year, and that was in October. Just filled all of the feeders for the birdies to accommodate the "crowd" I expect will soon be here. Frozen fingers, but all worth it.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 19, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8974483

Lily, the window screen collector worked fine but was such a pain in the patootie - needing to be cleaned 3 times a day - that I have abandoned it. I'm just sweeping the seeds off the walkway when I pass by now, and at least that way the birds aren't right out in the open for the cat to ambush.

We've been so very lucky with weather this winter, only 3 cold fronts that actually brought the cold air, at least so far. For the rest we've been in the 70s and just gorgeous. We're a little short of rain but got about 1/2in. yesterday which was good. The bluejays spent the holidays down in the Keys after the first cold weather chased them further south, but they're back now. I have the titmice, sparrows and Carolina wrens as regulars, and the cardinals pretty often, too.

The neighborhood marauding hawk seems to be hunting squirrels instead of the birds now, which is wonderful!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #8980183

haha. LilyLove! I KNEW it would be that Carolina Wren. I think it was the first last year too! Such good little detectives.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #8984500

I'm raising millies hoping to attract Eastern Blue Birds into the garden for spring time nesting. At the mean time, I'm putting out live millies for treat. I think we've enough millies for smaller birds in the garden to include titmice and Wrens, but I am hoping to keep the bigger birds out. So I found this decorative cage, which I tried out and see if it works. Not sure little birds can get inside to get to the mealworms. But we'll find out.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #8984506

Inside the cage, I placed a decoy 'Blue Bird' so I hope that will capture BB's attention...guess who discovered the cage first this time around?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #8984517

Gave it a minute or so, this little darling found it first. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ginger749

January 27, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #8984534

[quote="Lily_love"]guess who discovered the cage first this time around?[/quote]

A Moose ?

This is my NEW feeder.

Thumbnail by ginger749

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #8984539

[quote="ginger749"]

A Moose ?

This is my NEW feeder.

[/quote]

Kell, you're too funny. Is that the macademia nut tree's stump that was used to support the platform feeder? Love your garden setting. And the colorful birds, they're very attractive.
ginger749

January 27, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #8984551

Yes Kim,
That is the Macadamia stump.

I drilled a 1" x 12" deep hole in the top of the stump and filled it with 'Roundup'.
It will never shoot again now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #8986523

[quote="ginger749"]Yes Kim,
That is the Macadamia stump.

I drilled a 1" x 12" deep hole in the top of the stump and filled it with 'Roundup'.
It will never shoot again now.
[/quote]

That's a good idea to keep the tree from regenerating from the base, thanks for passing that info. along. Kell. Although, Macadamias won't make it in our cooler climate, we've such tenacious Wisterias here and many others that may could use that treatment.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #8986529

Now, back to the topic at hand; feeders. The 'Decorative Cage' feeder idea failed. Our temp. has dropped back down to seasonably appropriate for winter. I couldn't keep watch on the area closely over the weekend. But this morning I discovered that the millies were still there.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #8986531

Plan B; I propped the cage's top open to invite visitors to visit the inside;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 29, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #8986535

No sooner than when I walked away, the Carolina Wren has already found the open door invitation. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #8987836

Thus far, I've only seen Carolina Wrens and Tufted Titmouse at the cage feeder. Though, several Eastern Blue Birds were also seen watching the area intensely this morning. Hope they will eventually return here to feed. And hopefully will nest in the garden this Spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #8988018

Wooohooo! I had a visit from the Ruby Crowned Kinglet this morning, it also discovered the mealworm feeder. Yeah!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #8988121

what a treat! such a little cutie

If I offered mealworms here, I have the feeling the stupid house sparrows would just gobble them up. The answer to the sparrow flock seems to be to have one feeder with millet (which they especially like) and several BOS feeders... they usually mob just one or two feeders at a time, and the other birds can use the other ones.

I have to get a photo of Joyanna's new feeder, a green mesh ball from No-no that holds 4-5 cups of BOS. The "special" birds love it, and she loves announcing when she spots a chickadee or titmouse or woodpecker or wren etc. on "her" feeder... she can recognize at least a dozen of our backyard birds (not bad for 2 1/2, brag brag brag LOL).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8988614

Let's see it Crit. :)
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

January 30, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #8988700

Way to go!
ginger749

January 30, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #8988876

[quote="Lily_love"]Now, back to the topic at hand; feeders. The 'Decorative Cage' feeder idea failed. Our temp. has dropped back down to seasonably appropriate for winter. I couldn't keep watch on the area closely over the weekend. But this morning I discovered that the millies were still there. [/quote]

I'm really sorry if I have offended your Thread Kim.
BUT YOU DID ASK ME ABOUT MY FEEDER ?
And I answered your question.
You won't see me again on your threads.

kell.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #8989527

Ginger, I read her comment as meaning that *she* was returning to the feeder topic, posting about the results with that decorative cage.

It's hard to communicate perfectly in written posts like this (heck, it's hard to communicate perfectly in any medium!), so generally it's at least good to check whether or not offense was meant before going off in a huff. Just my 2 cents...

And now, let me return to the topic at hand also by posting a photo of my new mixed-seed feeder just outside teh window. I wired an old pizza pan beneath as a seed catching tray because the sparrows are such messy eaters.

Thumbnail by critterologist

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #8989554

I am in agreement with critter. Kell, you have simply applied the wrong tone to Kim's comment.

Great idea critter with the pizza pan. I pass on so many feeder because they do not have a seed tray on them!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 31, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #8989712

I agree about going off in a huff, I don't see where she found offense. But I fear Kell is gone and isn't going to read our placating posts.

I also really agree about sparrows being SO messy! For every seed they eat, they seem to throw around about a dozen! Then there are birdies on the ground eating the scattered seed, and my cat stalks them with great determination. (hasn't caught any yet, though, she's so fat and slow) Was thinking to make a seed catcher for my new feeder out of window screening.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #8989733

This new feeder from No-no does have a pretty decent tray on the bottom (deeper than many seem to be, so seeds stay in even if the feeder sways a little)... but it's just not enough of a tray if you've got a lot of sparrows. They threw more seed down than the ground-feeders could keep up with, and I didn't want to encourage the mice & voles or to attract rats. Window screen is a good idea, maybe with a clotheshanger-wire frame for sturdiness in case a squirrel jumps onto it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8991259

Kell, I surely will miss seeing your post on this thread. Peace. Critterologist cool idea with the seed tray. Dyzzypyxxy love your backyard setting.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #8991273

Our backyard residents trying to figure out the new feeder to this spot. I took the old feeder and its baffle down for it didn't keep the squirrels out, but it seemed to block the upper view, and Cardinals haven't been coming around while the baffle was up. So new feeder. The rest of the gang seemed to enjoy it. My Nuthatches and woodpeckers continue to have a ball with the peanut, and suet feed alternately.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #8991278

Gold Finch and other small birds can get right inside the cage. It's easy enough for Redbellied wps to reach inside for peanuts also.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #8991284

Downy and other woodpeckers do go for the suet feed most time, but will occasionally compete for the peanuts inside the feeder.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #8991294

Cardinals eventually resorted to the other feeder in the front yard, in which the catch pan is designed to tip off a squirrel's if it some how gotten on the base. I've not yet seen the thing at work. But the seeds in the feeder lasted a good while longer compared to others (that squirrels can get to them).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #8991298

And since I hung the new feeder, my good friend Cardinal is back checking it out. Yeah!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 2, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #8991863

At the mean time, the Carolina Wrens are really happy with the meallies feeder. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #8992978

oh, those stinkers are so cute!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9002149

Mrs. Ed. They so cute, they can claim the meallies in which was intended for the Blue Birds. lol

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9002159

Here come the pics. They really aren't picky eaters. Suet will do too. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9002351

I wish I got them more often here

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9177450

As few of you know, I went to meet Grannygrunt (Donna) this past week. She has been working very hard the last several months on building me a hopper type feeder that will sit on my WBU platform feeder. She designed and then built this BEAUTIFUL feeder for me! It is made of real Cedar and has a really pretty hammered copper roof on it. MY birds are going to be dinning in style now!

I thank Donna so much for doing so much work on this and being such a good friend!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9177604

[quote] As few of you know, I went to meet Grannygrunt ... [/quote] I didn't know, otherwise, I could have tagged along. lol. What's a nice gift! Thanks Nan for posting.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9177616

You would be more than welcome to tag along Lily.

You're welcome Nanny. Geez, it really does fit in your tray. Was sweating that one out. LOL
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

June 23, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9177618

Great job GG!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9177626

Aww, thank you GG. I'd enjoyed the visit.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 24, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9179054

Brilliant work, GG. Maybe you could go into the construction business. Hmmm, now let me think of a business name.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

June 24, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9179114

You did an amazing job on it GG. Thanks for posting the pic Nanny. I'm sure you'll get plenty of visitors on it.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9179225

Gosh. there is no need for you to go to all of that trouble Margaret. Really, there isn't!! LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9179234

Hah, I'm with Margaret GG. Better yet, maybe we can go into the business together? Except I don't know how to work the equipment. But maybe I can be of some help in some way??? lol...for now let's find a name for the business. lol

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9179536

That GrannyGrunt does some nice work, eh?

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9179588

Well, Lily, I have 12 cat bunk beds to build for our local no kill shelter. So, there are tons of non-machine tasks to do.

Thanks Mrs. Ed.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

August 24, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9252596

Here the whole feeder Chilly. Yes all made of recycle material, and a dremel tool. The bottle was a V8 juice bottle, the dish is a medium size peanut butter container cover, I bolted the juice cap of the bottle to the dish. I made 4 hole about a 1/4" big, just above the thread area and 4 more holes about 1 1/2" above it for the finches. The chipping Sparrow uses the bottom one and those seeds don't go to waste. To hang it, I use the chain link with tiny balls, and the attachment that fits over the balls ( see picture), to hold it inside the bottle bottom. I added a key chain ring at the other end, again using the attachment. If you don't have a baffle, I recommend using silicone to plug the hole, where the chain come out of the bottle, or I would think mastic would work too. Otherwise you'll have water collecting in the bottom groove and that will drip inside and spoil the seeds. The baffle I used was from an old feeder I had.

I've added a picture of some of the things that you can use to make one. This one would be a small feeder. So fewer feeder holes. I forgot the add a nut and bolt in that pic, that you need to attach the cap to the dish. duhhhh but you get the picture. :)) the baffle is a cover to the little ready made salad bowl you buy in the store.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007      

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9256336

Hi all, I've been away for a while, and have had problem with downloading pics. onto our threads -- that's until just now. I'm able to down load photos once again. GG that's very generous of you, my hat is off to you for your contribution to your local shelter.

Bernadette, those are very inventive! Here is one I found from a thrift store. It's some sort of metal, all rusty and worn out looking. I asked DH to sandblast(?) and cleaned the rust off, then he painted the cage blue per request. I set the painted cage aside for awhile, then filled it with raw peanuts. Such treats for my nuthatches!

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love      

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9256489

Ooh, so many wonderful feeders! I've been doing a lot of lurking and thoroughly enjoying all the great ideas and photos. It's hard to know where to start, but I love them all.

GG, beautiful feeder you made for nanny! And so considerate of you to make the kitty beds for the shelter.

Burn, very inventive Idea with your feeder!

Kim...sooo nice to see you're wonderful pics again! That blue star is really cool!

These next two are a Downy Woodpecker enjoying suet at one of several "upside-down" feeders my husband built. The feeder is about 5 years old so it looks a little "weathered".

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature         

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9256760

Wow! There are some great feeder ideas here. Been lurking. Love the peanut cage. nutsaboutnature, nice job on those upside down suet feeders. Hubby is no slouch at woodworking--beautiful box joints. Love the "weathered" look.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9257184

I'm with GG, that's some skilled wood working n.a.n. My Hubby is counting down until his retirement days, and looking forward to some woodworking in his many a honey's do projects. I can't wait until those days.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9258074

Thanks, GG and Kim! You have no idea how much my husband would love to retire. Just can't do it right now. He's definitely not one of those guys that would just sit around.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9300441

[quote="nutsaboutnature"]Thanks, GG and Kim! You have no idea how much my husband would love to retire. Just can't do it right now. He's definitely not one of those guys that would just sit around.[/quote]

Hey n.a.n. your hubby sounds as if he's kin to my hubby. lol. DH can't afford to retire just yet either. Once he does, I hope he will really get into wood working, something I really enjoy along with him...

Back to bird feeders. As I have mentioned before, I tried to raise meallies for Blue Birds, and small birds in the garden. Now I've two colonies of meallies to offer to birds over the winter. I ran out of room for storage, unless I will have to plug in the extra refrig. to store them in. So I decided to begin to feed the birds some treat early in the season. I tried putting out some yesterday... To my surprise, so far there is no taker yet! Hmmmm.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9300455

I set out the 'treat' before dark yesterday, thinking some birds will find them before night fall. So far, none have found them! Saw this titmouse earlier in the evening nearby, but I was disappointed that none have discovered the meallies as of this early morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9300576

My guess is that once you find themů they'll come a-knockin' fast and furious.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9300786

I had kind of an AHA! moment at the store the other day. I had always seen the finch sock feeders with the domes on the top, thinking they were just baffles and perhaps some weather cover. I did not realize until I looked closely at them that the dome helps to fill the sock. D'OH!!! All this time I could have had this and not struggled with the funnel and string hanger. Sigh. Well I bought one now at least.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9300842

Marna, that's one neat nijer feeder. I'm hoping to see more goldfinches return. Thus far I haven't seen many. Oh, guess who found my meallies feeder once again. You were absolutely correct ... [quote] ...they'll come a-knockin' fast and furious. [/quote] . I may have to refill the feeders more often now. lol

Oh, The highlight of my day; is watching a pair of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers going after dogwood berries. I haven't seen the pair since last Fall. Like clock work, here they're returning to enjoy the berries. I also saw Northern Flickers compete with the Sapsuckers for berries for the first time.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9300965

I thought it might be the Carolina wren to be the first!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9335792

The lighting wasn't on my side, but here I've a couple photos to share; Tufted Titmouse enjoys the whole peanut treat that I just hung out once again as the weather is getting cooler, and less bugs available for the birds this time of year.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2013
1:57 PM

Post #9696069

Look at the date on the post above mine. It was time to bump this up.

We have a spiffy new feeder. :P It matches our nice neat brush pile. (so glad we live in the country to not deal with unhappy neighbors) My husband was going to burn this, but I saw an idea in a book recently where they used the trunk of a tree as a big woodpecker feeder. They drilled holes in it to stuff with suet or whatever PB mix. I do not have really good pictures of the birds using it, but Juncos and Downy Woodpeckers have figured it out.

It amazed me that the Juncos learned that was food. The woodpeckers being tree clingers, I could see, but Juncos?

Mrs. Ed, I bought a double sock feeder like that. When I got it, I thought it would take a long time to empty. Little did I know that we were going to have a Redpoll invasion and I needed to fill it up every day for about 3 weeks.

Does anyone else have any new interesting feeders?

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean         

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9696268

Chilly, that's not a bad idea at all. Our good friend Donna (GrannyGrunt) who we lost this spring had gotten big pine tree stumps. She had to have them cut in sections. Then reassembled and set in concrete in her bird feeding area. Brilliant. She'd hang suet there and put suet in the holes and all of that.

And of course there's the old christmas tree log suet feeder too.

I like how yours have little perches for everyone!!!

No new feeders for me this year as I'm paying for my new patio! hahaha.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9696713

Mrs. Ed. I so miss our friend Donna... No new feeders for this year either, but I'm hoping Santa may surprise me with new ones this year. Chilly, thanks for bumping this thread up. I'm so glad to see you created/recycled the old tree stumps for new use. My neighbors took down some tall trees a few weeks ago. As they topped off the trees, I was hoping they would leave the tree for woodpecker to roost and make nesting out of them. But, puyeee! They kept sawing the trees down to the ground. :((

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2013
8:40 AM

Post #9696728

We have an two very mature Green Ash trees in our front yard. One is really struggling. If it has to "go", I'm thinking Totem Pole with bird friendly features!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2014
6:07 PM

Post #9864812

We had so many Orioles this year, I could hardly keep them fed. A couple of them had to try the hummingbird feeders, which didn't work for them. So I came up with something new. I call it the ant moat feeder. The bottom one is filled with jelly. The male never quite figured out how to get the good stuff.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean         

TheHackster

TheHackster
Columbus, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2014
12:22 PM

Post #9874595

Just received my new feeder. Got my a batch of mealworms,too - 3,000 of them - most are in the fridge to retard their development. I placed about 50-60 in a container, in the laundry room, to grew some more. My DW isn't pleased with those in the fridge, but she is kind to me - I assured her that they can't escape (and they can't). But still, I may end up buying a small dorm-room type fridge from Lowe's, we'll see.

Anyway, here is the new feeder. I velcro-taped a small mealworm-containing tin on top to encourage visitors, so far, no luck, but it has only been a day. I'll need to be patient.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Hack

Thumbnail by TheHackster

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America