Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!: Zone 9

Communities > Forums > Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!Replies: 3, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

August 22, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8770628

Here they require no attention what so ever, mine are out in full sun here in central florida and adorn my mailbox area, at this moment they are blooming, I never water them or feed them and are planted in sandy grit florida is known for, they do lose there leaves in winter but re-emerge when it warms up. The biggest issue is the giant grass hoppers who want to chew the leaves and flowers, a good stomp with a heavy boot takes care of that with a little persistance & a watchful eye. A real no brainer of a plant.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8771344

Glad to hear they tougher than their delicate appearance would indicate! I've never personally grown them, since they won't survive our Illinois winters. I love those low-maintenance plants!

orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

August 23, 2011
12:24 AM

Post #8772321

I also live in zone 9, Port St. Lucie, FL. When we first built our house, 33 years ago, a spider lily grew in our backyard, right at the base of a large slash pine tree. I never did anything with it, just enjoyed it when it bloomed. We did not put extra dirt around the tree base, or weed eat, but several years after we lived here, I realized I missed the spider lily. I don't know what happened but it no longer comes up. I really miss it because it was so beautiful. (I never knew about the red variety until I recently saw pictures of them.)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8773334

The red are actually an entirely different plant, in the lycoris family. Very pretty, and worth planting, though!

I know what you mean about realizing an old stand-by plant has disappeared. I used to have a huge bleeding heart that came up consistently every spring. I used it in every bouquet, along with my peonies and iris. It added a great dangling element to all the upright blooms. Then a couple of years ago, I realized it never came up. I dug around in that area, and there was just what appeared to be loose sawdust where it used to be. For two years, there was just an empty gap where it should have been. This spring, I was surprised to see a few stems of it coming up about a foot away from where the original plant was. It was pretty puny, but I can't tell you how happy I was to see it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! heavenscape 7 Aug 18, 2011 6:20 PM
Spider Lily Klug 1 Aug 22, 2011 1:59 PM
Hymenocalis Occidentalis-Caroliniana nagmolia1492 1 Aug 23, 2011 2:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America