Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: I Grew This!: A sad story of ignorant people..................

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 3, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

August 22, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8770773

Before you get the wrong idea "ignorant" in this instance really means "unlearned". I once had a sister-in-law who prided herself in being from the "city" (that's a long story) and wouldn't take any home-grown vegtables or fruits offered to her by her in-laws because they had had "bugs" crawling across them. No one could ever get across to her that her store-bought produce had seen bugs and probably worse things.

A former co-worker who had been very pampered all of her life in big city culture moved south with her job. She looked down on any of us who brought in a tomato or cucumber for lunch. Someone offered her local muscadines and she replied, "Oh, you know I don't eat anything that doesn't come in a plastic bag".

Ignorant and sad. Wonder what they will do when they cannot afford everything from the store?
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

August 22, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8772210

Well, dixie, when someone says that they "just don't eat anything that doesn't come in a plastic bag", tell 'em "Well, I left the plastic bag at home. Try one anyway". When they ooh and aahh over it, THEN tell them it's from your garden...
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 27, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8780342

Hi dixiedumplin,

It is very, very sad. I do recommend NordicFletch's idea though. That made me laugh. Thank you!

All the best to you both,
Benny
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

August 28, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8782190

Brilliant idea but I can't use the tip now, darn it! You know how you always think of come-backs after the fact? The former co-worker has moved on to more elite places and I'm retired. The sister-in-law no longer comes around. So bad...so sad ... (not).
Thanks for your comments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
gardening surge here woodspirit1 9 Aug 8, 2008 8:48 AM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America