Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 2: Botanical Tongue Twisters and Other Pronunciation Struggles: Lupin(e)s

Communities > Forums > Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 2: Botanical Tongue Twisters and Other Pronunciation Struggles
bookmark
Forum: Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 2: Botanical Tongue Twisters and Other Pronunciation StrugglesReplies: 3, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JimW2
Courtenay, BC

August 22, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8770840

Hi, love the article. I and my wife are in opposite camps when it comes to Clematis. I'm for CLEM-uh-tis and she's for cle-MAT-is and we'll never agree. Lupine though confuses me. Coming from England originally, I'd never seen it spelled with the final e until I looked on Dave's Garden! It still looks like a misprint to me.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8771199

Apparently "lupine" with an "e" is an American spelling. I forgot about Professor Remus "Moony" Lupin at Hogwarts--he's English, so has no final "e"!
lortay
Navan
Ireland

September 6, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8795538

I would also imagine the 'Dennis Moore' would have stolen Michael Palin's LUPINS in the original script, lol. That brings back great memories. Never has gardening and lunacy been so well combined.
Great article. We need more exposure on latin names as opposed to the lazy use of common names (I will carefully dismount from my hobby horse now and go looking for more lupins)

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 6, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8795580

Thanks, Lortay! Thanks to Monty Python, I always think of them as "bloody lupins"!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Plant Pronunciation, Part 2: Botanical Tongue Twisters and Other Pronunciation Struggles Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America