Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!: Spider Lily

Communities > Forums > Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!Replies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Klug
San Diego, CA

August 22, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8771137

When my mother was in a nursing home in La Mesa, CA, there were spider lilies growing up against a stone wall, adjacent to a blacktopped parking lot. The only shade they had was from the wall at certain times of the day. I often wondered what they were, and should have gone out and "rescued" a small section for my yard. Alas, I didn't.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8771342

Wow, I bet they experienced a lot of collected heat from the wall and blacktop! They must be pretty tough plants to thrive in a situation like that. I have several "should have" stories like that in my gardening past, unfortunately. One involves a great aunt who had a gorgeous garden. She was always giving me cuttings and bulbs and starts of things. After she passed away, I learned that the daughter who inherited her house tore out many of the plants and planted the areas back to grass. Oh, how I wish I'd had the opportunity to go dig up a bunch of those plants before they were discarded! It would have meant so much to me to have them. I planted "surprise lilies" in her memory, as she was the one who jokingly introduced me to their nickname, "Naked Ladies."

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! heavenscape 7 Aug 18, 2011 6:20 PM
Zone 9 FlaFlower 3 Aug 23, 2011 2:18 PM
Hymenocalis Occidentalis-Caroliniana nagmolia1492 1 Aug 23, 2011 2:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America