Ospreys 2011. Chapter 2. Sitting on eggs.

PERTH, Australia

Shortly after this, Dad flew off to the other side of the river. I followed him and eventually could see him way off in the distance flying around with at least two other Ospreys and a couple of Ravens. The shadow was completely over the nest when I left.

Thanks for looking. Stay tuned for more.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pics as always!! I just love your story telling along with the fabulous photo's. You should write a book and use your wonderful pics.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

BeaHive, I'm first in line to obtain Margaret's book(s). Love, love these new activities. Thanks Margaret for sharing the story with us.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So comical, Love the way you interpret, every action on the nest. You make this very interesting.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Fantastic shots Margaret. Love the commentaries as well. Big Hook sitting on Dad's head is just too funny. She really is a bossy thing. Sure hope that plastic bag flies away.

PERTH, Australia

Thanks, BeaHive. I'm glad you enjoy the commentary.

Kim, it'll be a short line for the book, I think. You won't need to camp out overnight. LOL

Burn, sometimes their actions just cry out for an anthropomorphic interpretation. I wish I could do talk bubbles.

Wha', thank you GG. I hope the bag makes it's way out of the nest as well. She really made me laugh when she sat on his head - she was so desperate to resume sitting, I don't think she cared what it was. Anyway, it was warm and round.

Melbourne, FL

Love how much Dad wants to sit on the eggs....too bad she spoiled his time on the nest. Your comment on the missed shot.....how many times have we all thought that? So MANY missed shots. I also love the way you tell the story. Thanks, Margaret.

PERTH, Australia

GP, he is such a good mate - and Dad. He clearly relishes being able to sit. Mind you, saying that, he headed off over the other side of the river again this afternoon and I didn't see him return by the time I left, which was just on 5pm.

Really no action this afternoon. It was cloudy and the only reason I stayed on was that there was a troupe of adolescent lads mucking about along the low path and I maintained a warden's vigil to see that they weren't going to try to target the nest.

Once again I saw Whopper flying past way below the nest.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am so curious to if Dad wanting to sit on the eggs is rather usual in general for a male osprey. He truly seems so domestic!! I am so sorry you missed a shot but I love that one!! And I always love the navel inspection shots....makes me laugh...along with sitting on Dad's head!! lol

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Margaret, it's always such a treat to see your beautiful photos and catch up on the story. Sorry about the missed shot, but there are so many beautiful ones here. I hated to see that plastic bag too and hope that it won't harm the little ones later on.

Thanks for keeping the vigil on those kids-this osprey pair is very lucky to have you guarding over them.

PERTH, Australia

Nanny, both Ospreys share incubation duties, although the female does the lions share. During the incubation period and when the chicks are being fed, the male catches all the fish and brings them to the female on the nest. So, by necessity, his spells at incubating need to be relatively brief.

Thanks, duc. It's good to have such a vantage point wherever there's possibly mischief or disturbance. Big Hook made a couple of small sounds when they first arrived, but then settled down. I don't think the kids were even aware of the nest - I suppose that's one good thing about the living part of the tree growing at a rate of knots - the birds are pretty well hidden from view.

Perth, Australia

Awesome shots Margaret, even without autofocus you've got very clever with that combo. I'm afraid I'm down south this WE so look forward to follow the goings on. Take care,
Pete

PERTH, Australia

Thanks, Pete. I envy you going down south. I went to Augusta and Cape Leeuwin for a couple of days recently. It was absolutely beautiful.

Sandusky, OH

Great shots Margaret and Pete!! Love the thread!

PERTH, Australia

Thanks, Burd. Good to see you.

We have THREE EGGS! I hadn't even considered this, but Pete has some concerns about the time between laying the first and last eggs. It would be dreadful to have a repeat of the problems we experienced last season. So, cautious optimism at this stage.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

And Whopper is still around. Here's Big Hook looking with mild interest as last year's juvenile soars high above.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Dad landed on the nest and he and Big Hook had a discussion about how best to incubate the eggs. It probably won't show up on the downsized image, but I can actually see the white of Big Hook's eye (she's on the right). I've never seen that before. It looks quite odd.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, THREE! My emotion is one that's mixed. Excited with the number of 3 adorable offsprings, but concern too about the unforseen of littlest chick. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for the best. I couldn't help but feel all these mixed feeling Margaret.

PERTH, Australia

Yes, Kim, I know. I hadn't even thought of it until Pete mentioned it, but yes, who could forget last year's events. I still have two little sprigs of lavender taken from the site, in a little vase in memory of the chicks that sadly didn't make it.

oh my.....3 does cause one to have a mixed bag of emotions, doesn't it! I just try to keep the thought of 1 healthy chick growing up.....and if there is more it is a bonus.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

We will all send good thoughts for three healthy chicks. Sure wish that darned plastic bag would blow away! Human clutter!!

As usual, wonderful pictures Margaret.

PERTH, Australia

Multiple chicks would be wonderful to see. This is my 4th season watching this nest and only one each year has survived beyond very early chickhood.

It's cloudy and we're expecting rain over the next few days, but if there are any fine periods during the late afternoon, I'll head down there.

Four dolphins passing below the nest a few days ago. There's a young one there. You can understand why it's no hardship to spend hours there.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Love seeing the dolphins! Thanks Margaret!

PERTH, Australia

Hi Pelle. They are a real treat. I often see them a little farther out, but this time, they were passing directly below the nest. the brown blurry thing in the photo is one of the branches supporting the nest.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Maybe if we all think positive thoughts we'll get lucky and all three chicks will survive. More wonderful photos. I don't know why you worry about that autofocus, you sure don't need it.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Positive thoughts are being sent all the way yonder.

Gosh, ospreys and dolphins...don't know if I would ever go home...lol!

South Hamilton, MA

Hope all will be well & the plastic bag disappears.

PERTH, Australia

Duc, you're far too kind. The manual focus is fine, providing the subject is relatively stationary. I wouldn't have a snowball's chance of getting a flight shot with manual focus and I have the greatest admiration for those who can.

Thanks for the positive thoughts, Kim. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome.

nanny, I really have to force myself to leave there every time I visit. It is a truly beautiful place.

Thanks, IrisMA. It looks like the plastic bag is making its way out of the centre of the nest.

Very little action this afternoon. This Rainbow Lorikeet had been crawling around right under the nest. It then started making its way up the side of the nest. Shortly after I took this shot, the Lorikeet obviously saw Big Hook sitting on the nest as it climbed close to the rim. It shrieked and flew off, its feathers standing on end.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
South Hamilton, MA

What did the silly bird expect with a large nest?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The silly Lorikeet sure is funny. Likes a little kid curiosity got the best of its manner.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

That Lorikeet sure makes a colorful addition to the nesting materials. I can imagine the surprise when it saw mom in the nest. I wish Big Hook would throw that plastic out though.

PERTH, Australia

I could have kicked myself for not being quick enough to get a shot of the lorikeet when it saw Big Hook.

When I arrived at the nest this afternoon, Dad was happily sitting on the eggs. Big Hook arrived and landed on the pole branch and quietly watched until Dad started making his gentle "kek kek" sounds. This was obviously a signal to Big Hook that it was her turn, and as he moved off the eggs, as she became instantly focussed on the nest.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She readied herself for flight over to the nest.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2011 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She went over to the eggs and settled straight down on top of them. A few minutes later, she got up, rearranged some nesting material and then gently pulled the eggs towards her, before covering them with her "brood patch".

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

There was no other activity on the nest today. I did, however, see Whopper, who is now eleven months old. She never attempts to land on the nest or any of the branches leading out from it, although a couple of weeks ago she was on her favourite branch underneath the nest. Both adult birds communicate with her, but they are not the least bit concerned by her presence.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awesome pics. of Big Hook, Margaret. It's heart warming to follow your story and observe the interaction of the two adult birds. And the juvie Whopper, wow she's 11 months old already!

PERTH, Australia

Yes, and still around and showing no signs of wanting to leave home.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Perhaps, "Home is where the heart is." rings true in Whopper's case. Maybe she's wanted to attend college locally while hanging around ma and pa. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.