Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!: Hymenocalis Occidentalis-Caroliniana

Communities > Forums > Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nagmolia1492
McEwen, TN

August 23, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8773339

I thought this lily was called Peruvian Lily. I have a red lily with leaves similar to the Naked Lady pink lily, and blooms like a ball with short filaments all around like a spider. nagmolia 1492

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8773361

I'd love to see a picture of your red lily! I wonder if it is the same thing as the lycoris known as red spider lily? Does this look familiar?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2109/

Interesting that you'd heard these called Peruvian Lilies. I'd never heard that common name associated with this plant. I had a flower known as alstroemeria in my wedding bouquet (along with lilies, roses, and purple statice), and the florist referred to those as Peruvian Lilies.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/170458/

I suppose the common names vary a lot from region to region. That is part of why I found this plant so interesting. It was really unusual looking, and also shared a common name with a very different plant I was already familiar with.

Thanks for commenting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! heavenscape 7 Aug 18, 2011 6:20 PM
Zone 9 FlaFlower 3 Aug 23, 2011 2:18 PM
Spider Lily Klug 1 Aug 22, 2011 1:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America