Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!: Hymenocalis Occidentalis-Caroliniana

Communities > Forums > Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner!Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nagmolia1492
McEwen, TN

August 23, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8773339

I thought this lily was called Peruvian Lily. I have a red lily with leaves similar to the Naked Lady pink lily, and blooms like a ball with short filaments all around like a spider. nagmolia 1492

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8773361

I'd love to see a picture of your red lily! I wonder if it is the same thing as the lycoris known as red spider lily? Does this look familiar?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2109/

Interesting that you'd heard these called Peruvian Lilies. I'd never heard that common name associated with this plant. I had a flower known as alstroemeria in my wedding bouquet (along with lilies, roses, and purple statice), and the florist referred to those as Peruvian Lilies.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/170458/

I suppose the common names vary a lot from region to region. That is part of why I found this plant so interesting. It was really unusual looking, and also shared a common name with a very different plant I was already familiar with.

Thanks for commenting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spider Lily, a Fall-blooming Stunner! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! heavenscape 7 Aug 18, 2011 6:20 PM
Zone 9 FlaFlower 3 Aug 23, 2011 2:18 PM
Spider Lily Klug 1 Aug 22, 2011 1:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America