Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: looking for begonia for "bonsai"

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 4, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
peetzmom
Conway, NC

August 24, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8774221

HI
I have a special place that I see a lot ( close to the kitchen sink) and I want to put something there that looks like a small tree.
I saw a type of begonia in Logees that seemed right, it had a nice shape, spread out nicely- need to go back and get the name--
does anyone here know of a source for one that is in a good sized pot, so I won't have to wait so long to get a "tree" ??
thanks!
dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8775273

Have you looked at tweedle dum and tweedle dee at Kartuz? I can tell you all the ones at Logees are small. I've been all over their greenhouses looking for the big plants and they just don't exist. Was it Richardsiana? Check out Taylors too.
peetzmom
Conway, NC

September 3, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8791714

nope, haven't looked at tweedledum and tweedledee. somehow, I don't think I have seen them mentioned... will go back and check. :-)
I LOVE Kartuz ! ordered a plant from them, succumbed to heat in transit, they waited till cooler weather and sent a replacement; never expected that, but it was lovely. I believe the plant WAS Richardsiana. Currently the plants in that place are blooming their heads off to try and make me feel bad about replacing them.. but I think I need a small tree there..eventually planning on putting an itsy bitsy swing on it.. and moss around it.. ( maybe I spend too much time thinking about this stuff?) ha ha!
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8806780

You might try B. Partita. It's a caudex-forming and unique begonia that's perfect for bonsai. Richardsiana might be the same thing - or related...
peetzmom
Conway, NC

September 17, 2011
5:08 AM

Post #8811956

when I cleared out the pot that I wanted to put it in, I found this old trooper- can't remember the name, listed as an OXALIS but it's not, the name is "fire... something" has 3 leaves joined together.. anyway- it has survived! I will give it a go, and see if it makes it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America