Let's see YOUR pictures of hostas beginning with "C"!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Today, I invite you to post pictures of hostas beginning with "C". Don't know about you, but I don't have quite so many as the previous two days.

We start with 'Cameo' taken June 28. It was new to my garden in spring 2007 but in 2009, the whole family got waterlogged and I suspect foliar nematodes as well. None of the family ('Baby Bunting', 'Cameo', 'Cherish', 'Hope', 'Pandora's Box') have done as well since then.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Captain Kirk' came to me as a single eye division from a friend in spring 2009 and is doing well.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's a blossom on 'Captain Kirk' taken July 29. The previous picture was taken mid-July.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cat and Mouse' was new spring 2009. The first plant totally reverted to solid blue within a few weeks. This replacement has mostly reverted as well, though the one smaller eye still retains some of the chartreuse centre. I may try for another division from another source.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cherish' - another of the suffering 'Baby Bunting' family. This one is very fragile, but has put out a couple of new leaves. It was new spring 2007.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cherry Berry' was new to me in spring 2006 and has done well. I took some divisions from it in 2009. Picture taken July 18 and the picture of the bloom below was taken July 29.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2011 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cherry Berry' with red flower scape. I also like the red seed pods on this plant but wish the seedlings would be viable. So far they've all been fatal whites.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Chinese Sunrise' taken June 20 before the green darkened up. This one is a shining beacon when it first emerges. I've had mine since spring 2006 and took a few divisions from it this past spring.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2011 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Christmas Pageant' taken June 29. This was new in spring 2008. In 2009, I nearly lost it when something munched the crown and it didn't like the first couple of spots in the garden, but it has slowly come back to look good.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Christmas Pageant' bloom on July 8

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

clausa var. clausa - likely the first hosta I owned, but I didn't know what it was. It was only a year or two after I first started seriously growing hostas that I looked at it and realized it was also a hosta. It spreads by rhizomes and in a spot where it's really happy can become a bit invasive. I've seen it in other neighbourhood gardens and I'm sure it was a gift way back when from some neighbour who had too much of it.

I have this hosta in 3 locations, 2 of which are problem spots where other things don't like to grow well. It does quite well in such a location and the rate of spread is slowed down considerably. It would also make a good hosta for a very large container to keep it confined.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Bloom on clausa var. clausa. Distinctive because the large buds never open. However, the deep purple colour is distinctive and very pretty. This was taken August 9.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cracker Crumbs' was new in spring 2005. This is a fast growing mini and I'm gradually dividing it to make a border on one garden. Another real bright light when it emerges yellow. This picture taken June 20 of a few divisions in a pot with 'Teaspoon'.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Country Mouse' is the most petite of my mice. It's not at all related to the 'Blue Mouse Ears' family, but lives in the same planter with them. I got mine in spring 2007 and it was very tiny and would not have survived the 3 week trip I took shortly thereafter if Sandy (Sanannie) had not looked after it for me. It forms a loose mound and often falls apart when I remove it from my veggie garden (where it winters) each spring. As a result, I've taken a couple of divisions from it. This picture taken July 29.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

For some reason, 'Country Mouse' just sat in a queue and didn't post until I copied it, closed it and redid it. So it's out of order.

Here's part of the 'Cracker Crumbs' border taken at the end of June.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cutting Edge' was new in spring 2008. this year it looks as though it's been taking steroids. Have never divided it and thought I would next year, but the plant next to it ('Ghost Spirit' in lower right) had a bad infection of foliar nematodes, so ... This picture was taken August 9 and shows the almost horizontal flower scapes.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Cutting Edge' bloom also on August 9.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Climax Hosta

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Cherish

Ottawa, Canada

'Crumb Cake'. Planted this summer and picture taken today.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

A relocated 'Corkscrew'. I hope it does better in at this site, my minis bed.

Ottawa, Canada

Oops, forgot to add the picture. 'Corkscrew' planted last year.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Cherry Tomato' planted in early July. Picture taken today. I like the plant but find the flower scape a bit out of proportion. Does anyone else have it?

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

My 'Captain Kirk'. New in 2008. I really like this one.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Corkscrew' is an interesting little plant. Don't have 'Cherry Tomato' but I've had other small ones that had scapes really out of proportion. Maybe that changes as the plant grows.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Carolina Blue

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Charlotte's Web

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Clifford's Forest Fire

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Chartreuse Wiggles

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Cherry Berry

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Clovelly

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Cookie Crumbs

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Crowned Imperial

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Cracker Crumbs

Thumbnail by franknjim
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I love Christmas Pageant! My Captain Kirk is still adjusting he is fairly new but I can tell I am going to love this Hosta.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Rose1656

OMG, 'Clifford's Forest Fire' is gorgeous. Where did you get it?

Ann, where did you get 'Christmas Pageant'?

Ottawa, Canada

Love 'Christmas Pageant'! Love Clifford's Forest Fire. I have Clifford's Sting Ray. Just out of curiosity. I assume that Clifford is a hosta hybridizer and so is Lakeside? I've always put Lakeside and Clifford in the single quotation mark. Should they be. What is correct? Lakeside 'Black Satin' or 'Lakeside Black Satin'. Clifford's 'Sting Ray' or 'Clifford's Sting Ray'?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I think I need a 'Charlotte's Web'!

virginiarose - I got my Christmas Pageant from a nursery in Nova Scotia - Fundy Beauties. I don't know whether they are set up to ship to the USA.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Captain Kirk, new last year

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Clovelly, new this year from Hallson's. I have to say I'm glad I ordered it there, because the plants at my local nursery barely have ripples on the margins. I probably wouldn't have purchased it based on seeing those in person. I'm wondering it's similar to a couple other hostas that seem to lose their ruffles with stressed too much.

Thumbnail by Eleven

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images