Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Walking Onion Storage

Andover, MN(Zone 3b)

I've had walking or potato onions for 4 years and never paid much attention to them other than to give them away to friends and neighbors. Now they take up a huge part of garden I want for flowers.
I am harvesting the bulb in the ground and using for shallots. But my question is how can I keep/store all the babies that were on the tips? Is it too early to dry and store in the basement? In the refrigerator for awhile? I must have at least 200 "starts" and don't want to waste them or plant them again. I can't believe the price when you buy them online. Suggestions?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

thyme: I don't have your answer, but I would suggest you post this question in the bulb forum or vegetable forum.
My suggestion would be to treat them as bulbs and place them in a cool, dry place until they are ready to be planted. If you have access to sawdust, that would be good or perhaps some shredded paper or crumpled newspaper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.