Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hostas: Slugs, earwigs and H. 'Lakeside Swiss Cheese'

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 17, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
9:15 AM

Post #8774563

Actually, 'Lakeside Black Satin', picture taken today. 'El Nino' in close proximity is barely touched.

Thumbnail by irawon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8774567

'El Nino' has been virtually left alone.

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8774584

I was too busy planting to put down the slug and earwig bait. 'Invincible'. You get the picture. Even 'Rhino Hide' hasn't remained unscathed.

Thumbnail by irawon

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8774594

'Rhino Hide'. Someone told me that spraying the leaves with diluted Sunlight dishwashing detergent would kill earwigs. I'm going to try it on the new hostas I planted yesterday and will report back if it works.

Thumbnail by irawon

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8774750

I'm sorry your hostas are having a rough time of it. I picked up a baby LS Black Satin recently and hope it eventually develops into a dark green. How long have you had yours and does it get really dark? I read that some versions do not.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8774760

Eleven, I may try relocating LBS next spring. It had a lovely black satiny sheen when I bought it in 2008. It looked better last year and of course my experiment using dishwashing detergent didn't help the colour. I'll try the detergent on the ground as I may have misunderstood the advice I got about using Sunlight. It doesn't get any direct sun. Where have you planted yours? Would love to see a picture of yours. Sounds like it has fared a lot better than mine.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8774773

My hostas have been hit worse than usual. And to top it off, I've had foliar nematodes invade my garden too. I've decided that if I destroy everything with nems, I won't have anything left; so I've already cut a couple of plants right down. But the damage from slugs and earwigs in definitely not uniform.

This pic taken August 3 shows 'Rainbow's End' in good shape. To the right is 'Surprised By Joy' and at the back is 'Hidden Cove'. The one at the right which isn't quite as badly damaged is 'White Dove'.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8774777

My pots of minis have been badly hit and usually they do quite well. BTW, I've douse them all with ammonia and water to no avail. 'Teeny-weeny Bikini'

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8774779

'Tiny Tears'

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8774781

'Masquerade'

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 24, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8775168

I think with mine it's mostly earwigs doing the damage. I did use ammonia and water in the spring but forgot to add insecticidal soap. I hope the hostas will come back the following year if chewed right to the ground. BTW, ViolaAnn, I've added 'Rainbows End' to my wants.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8775390

irawon, by "recently" I meant that I just purchased my baby LS Black Satin =)

I don't have any good pics of it yet, but here's slightly blurry one from a couple weeks ago when I brought it home. The veining reminds me of a young Sagae I brought home that corrected itself after planting. But yes, the leaves do appear thin compared to others. I'm glad we don't seem to have the pest issues here that so many of you experience.

Thumbnail by Eleven

irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 25, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8776309

That's a great looking plant and I hope you find a good spot for it. I'm going to try mine in a bit more light to see whether the black satin sheen it had will reappear. You are so lucky not to have to deal with slugs and earwigs.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 25, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8777100

I was in the garden late afternoon. it appears that 'Lakeside Black Satin' requires some light to show off that sheen. What is left of it has that dark colour.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8783691

"Lakeside Swiss Cheese" made me chuckle. Most of mine look lousy up close...luckily this year many of them have some size to them so it bothers me less...I just stay away and don't wear my glasses around them. I gave up on the slug hunts when we got a new puppy in July and they have been having a field day out there. I also have a couple browning out and going dormant early, I think.

I only added two new hosta this year and interestingly, both of them look like they may have nematodes. I will either do the hit water baths or isolate them and deal with it next year. The ones I treated last year are free of them this year

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8783785

I asked Chris on Hallson's about nematodes and he replied that if you do the hot water bath, it is likely that the plant will die or be stunted and then when you put it back in the garden it will likely get them again anyway. I've decided to live with them although I'll try not to move things between gardens that are infected and those that aren't. Anyway, this year they started infecting plants I care about. As soon as I confirm an infection, I'm cutting the plant off completely and will clean up the garden well. I plant to cut down all of my hostas this fall and dispose of the foliage in the city garden pick-ups.
irawon
Ottawa
Canada

August 29, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8783820

ViolaAnn and Noreaster - sorry to hear about the nematodes. I'm closing my eyes. Noreaster, a new puppy, how nice. How, I miss our last one. You know, I thought to myself as I started this thread that sooner or later Noreaster will post.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8784769

Ann, the larger ones I treated last year are perhaps a little smaller, but I expect by next year they will be great. the smaller one I treated last year is the same size as before. They not only didn't die, they didn't even turn brown after the water bath- I was shocked about that! I'm not worried about them getting reinfected because they are now in pots or agroliner bags, and the hole they were in (only two were actually planted in the ground) was doused with boiling water.

Irawon, yes, the new puppy has been very time consuming. He has already had surgery at four months old to remove a mast cell tumor on his butt. Very rare to have a MCT in a puppy that young, but lucky us. :( We have to hope it doesn't come back, but I feel in my heart he will be ok. We love him a lot and he has brought happiness back to our older dog Mickey, who has been missing his brother Seamus that we lost over Christmas. So yeah, slugs and the garden reply took a back seat this summer for us.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America