Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Oxygen absorbers

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 5, Views: 60
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 24, 2011
10:46 AM

Post #8774696

I have been reading some about dry pack canning as a method of keeping weevils out of flour and other dry grain type foods and the writers keeps saying to use oxygen absorbers in the jar ..Does anyone know what that means ??? I tired to find what it was but keep hitting a stone wall
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8775191

put - oxygen absorbers for food storage in Google for a bunch of links. Here is one that I picked at random.
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/buy_oxygen_absorbers_for_food_storage_cc.aspx

Here is a link for making your own.
http://www.truthistreason.net/how-to-diy-oxygen-absorbers-for-food-storage

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 6:09 AM
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 24, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8775401

Thanks Doug I will look those up when I tried google I kept getting the blank page bit but we were having some internet troubles at the time ,which is not at all unusual for us after an electrical storm .And we did have a nasty T storm with a lot of rain..

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8779813

I found it easier to drop a chunk of dry ice (maybe a pound in a 5 gal. container) in the bottom of my buckets just before adding the contents. (I do this for grains, beans, packages of pasta, etc.) Leave the lid loosely ajar overnight, then fasten the lid tightly the next morning. The dry ice defrosts to a gas that's heavier than air we breathe, and displaces the O2. As long as you do not tip the container when you take out some of the contents, it will maintain the gas for a very long time. Just be extra careful in handling the dry ice as it can freeze your flesh to the bone in a heartbeat.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8779824

The little blue packets that sometimes came in potato chips are moisture absorbers. They are a silica gel that can be re-used by heating the crystals in the oven to drive off the accumulated moisture (turning them from pink back to blue). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel Moisture removal is also important in storing dry goods, right along with removing the O2.

I found it easiest to drop a chunk of dry ice (maybe a pound in a 5 gal. container) in the bottom of my buckets just before adding the contents. (I do this for grains, beans, packages of pasta, etc.) Leave the lid loosely ajar overnight, then fasten the lid tightly the next morning. The dry ice defrosts to a gas that's heavier than air around us, and displaces the O2. No critter can live in it. As long as you do not tip the container when you take out some of the contents, it will maintain the gas content for a very long time. Just be extra careful in handling the dry ice as it can freeze your flesh to the bone in a heartbeat.
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2011
3:24 AM

Post #8798693

Oxygen absorbers are made from iron powder, -- the material reacts with the moisture in the container and the reaction uses up all the oxygen in the container, --it also causes a vacume to be created, sealing the canning jars, --or sucking the mylar bag tight around the material you have in the bag, --it is recomended for grains, beans and other dry food storage, [not powder milk] they are available cheep from the Mormon supply house, in UT.[they ship]
it is great for long term storage, as nothing can grow in the container with no oxygen, --

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America