Small Fuchsia

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I need some advice.
I had a three year old Antigone fuchsia that I groomed into a bonsai kind of plant last summer. (see pic) I over wintered it 2010-2011 in the garage as I usually do with fuchsias. It was in a pot that was not a bonzi as I hadn't cut the roots down much.

Oops, pic didn't take..I posted it a few posts below.
This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 3:35 AM

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 3:37 AM

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

This spring I carefully transplanted it down to a smaller bonsai type of pot, triming the roots. It did great until my 13 month old grandson pulled it up by the roots.

I carefully replanted it and gave it lots of TLC. And it recovered well…until a couple weeks ago when a squirrel (at least I think it was a squirrel) dug it up again.

It is still alive but I doubt it will bloom this year

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Now I am concerned that it has not had time to grow a decent root system and it may not make it through dormancy this winter.
I could try and keep it growing under lights but admittedly I haven’t had much luck keeping fuchsias growing under lights in the winter.
Also, I am afraid that it is in such a small pot it will dry out very quickly.

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Should I repot it into a bigger pot now, hope it grows enough roots and try to over winter it in dormancy? Or should I try and keep it growing all winter?

Thumbnail by mstish
Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Here's what it looked like last year in the bigger pot.

Thumbnail by mstish

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images