Let's see YOUR pictures of hostas beginning with "D & E"!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This is really a new thread for THURSDAY, but I might not get to the computer before noon tomorrow.

So, let's see your hostas that begin with D and E. (I don't have too many of either; so I've lumped them together.)

Here's one I've given the garden name 'Dancing With Leila'. It's my own 2009 seedling of 'Last Dance' and it looks nearly identical to the registered variety to which it is related, 'Dance With Me'. I've named it after my youngest (for now as I expect another soon) granddaughter. This picture taken July 18.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Dancing With Leila' bloom - July 24

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Deja Blu' July 8. This was a new plant spring 2007. I took a few divisions from it this spring. It has never had the white "lightening bolt" that it is supposed to have.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Deja Blu' flower July 24

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Diana Remembered' - a sizeable plant that was new to me in July 2004. Large white, fragrant blooms. Picture June 28.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Diana Remembered' bloom on July 29.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Dixie Chickadee' was new to me in July 2011 and this picture was taken August 9. A lovely mini-hosta, I think.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Dragon Tails' is an enthusiastic mini. Mine was new spring 2008. Here it was July 15 in bloom. It emerges quite yellow and greens up during the season.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Emerald Ruff Cut'. Mine was new spring 2009 and last year still had just one eye. It's grown quite well. Picture taken July 29.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2011 11:45 AM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I've heard that with Deja Blu, either some plants never get the white line or some plants only develop it when they're placed in more light. I just got my division in this year's spring swap, and no white line yet. I can always hope!

I'm excited to see that your Emerald Ruff Cut has grown so well, Ann. I ordered it from Hallson's this year but got an email from Chris saying they didn't grow as expected. It seems like such a beautiful plant.

Here's my Dixie Chickadee, which was new last year. It's such a strong grower that I've already divided it twice with it barely noticing.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

El Nino Hosta

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

A second year tissue culture of Dance With Me.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Dark Shadows

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

A leaf from Dark Shadows earlier in the year.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Dark Star

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Deane's Dream

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Deja Blu

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Dream Queen

Thumbnail by franknjim
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Elegans Hosta

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

El Capitan

Thumbnail by franknjim
Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Empress Wu. New fall of 09. Already 2' tall by 4' wide.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I didn't know EU was blue! How much sun does it get and how big will it get?

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine only gets about an hour or two of early morning sun. They grow to over 4' tall and over 8' wide. Everything around it will be moved once it gets bigger. I had planted it there because I thought it was supposed to be green but it hasn't turned out that way. So now I will have two giant blues in that bed with a Paradigm between them. EW is on the right.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

El Nino, new this year

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Elvis Lives, also new this year

Thumbnail by Eleven
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks Frank, That looks really good, I might consider getting one. I am planning to open up front flower beds next year to make room for more Hostas! :)

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 9:26 AM

Ottawa, Canada

Look at what I found in my 'Dancing in the Rain' the other day.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Irene - was that sleeping or deceased? I hope the former.

Frank - I'd love to see your 'Dance With Me' next to my seedling for comparison. They are of similar age. Interesting that I would get a seedling with those colours.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Yours is on the right, mine on the left. Mine is actually bright like yours, much brighter than it shows in my pic.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Close enough I could call it 'Dance With Me' except I know it is 'Last Dance' progeny rather than a sibling.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

irawon, Is the baby ok? Was it a squirrel ?

Ottawa, Canada

I thought it was asleep and took a picture because it looked so cute. I was hoping noone would ask me that question. Baby chipmunk.

Ottawa, Canada

Life goes on. 'Dorset Clown' planted in late July and picture taken this morning. Does it look similar to 'Charlotte's Web'? Does anyone know how to do a side by side?

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Dream Queen' made it through the heat. Not so with 'Dream Weaver'. They both look a lot like 'Great Expectations' to me and if I didn't know where they were planted I don't think I could tell them apart.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

I bought 'English Sunrise' to go in the same bed as 'Chinese Sunrise', thinking that they were related. Turns out it's similar to 'May' which I already had. 'May', I understand, is a yellow sport of 'June'.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'May' although it starts with M.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Deep Pockets'. I saw picture of a hosta with deep pockets that was upright and very symetrical in structure. I now think it might have been 'Cup of Grace' that I wanted. Anyway I bought DP last year hoping it would eventually mature to the plant I wanted. Does anyone have a mature DP?

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Irene,

According to the MyHostas Database, both English Sunrise and May are sports of June.
http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/English+Sunrise
http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/May

Likely discovered by different people and perhaps identical. You see it with the Mouse Ears family and also with the sports of 'Vanilla Cream' - 'Wlyde Green Cream' being virtually identical to 'Heart and Soul'.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Daddy Boomer

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Darwin's Standard

Thumbnail by Rose1656

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.