Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Deer ruining everything!!! Help

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daltongirls
Coupeville, WA

August 25, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8776094

I have deer that are eating everything in site. Just as the buds come on and I get all excited, I find them totally devoured the next morning.I live in downtown Coupeville (whidbey Island, Wa) and they think they own the place. In the middle of the day they are wandering the streets...Mom and her two little ones. Does anyone have advice to keep them away. Honestly, they eat everything!!! I am trying a friends Scarecrow that shoots water when it detects motion but it only works sporadically. Maybe it is malfunctioning. Any advice would be appreciated. These guys don't scare easily. HELP!!
Shirley
drtdgr
Tacoma, WA

August 26, 2011
6:21 AM

Post #8777661

"Liquid Fence" works well for me. It smells like rotten eggs, and I think that's basically what it is. Other than that, a real fence. Sorry for your plants - it is frustrating.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8777785

An 8-10 foot fence (a sturdy one) is the only long term permanent solution, unfortunately! Short term, yes the "Liquid Fence"...so sorry! Your frustration is palpable in your thread, and I am feeling for you!!!
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8784989

Yay, another Whidbey Islander! There are three of us down on the south end.

Ace Hardware in Freeland sells these little round grey disks. You either put them on the stake or hanger (enclosed in the package) and put them in front of the plant. I have a friend up near Coupeville who uses them and says she has seen a deer walk up to them and then walk away. I got some and the plants I put them on seemed to keep growing and not get eaten. I think you have to replace every so often, maybe every spring after the rainy season. I don't know what they have in them. Maybe some sort of charcoal? Anyway, they seem to work and are worth a try. Maybe the Ace in Oak Harbor sells them as well. I don't know what they're called but if you just ask someone for the little grey disks to keep deer away, they should know. Good luck!

Are you a member of the Greenbank Garden Club?
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8801674

I have heard of people using the urine from a larger predator animals(cougars) will keep them away. Usually available from hunting supply places. Kind of sounds like what Gwen is describing, they call them scent tags I think.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8802376

I just moved into a home in Dallas and we have deer everywhere. I am putting in a brand new garden and have stuck to "deer resistant flowers and shrubs for the front yard. So far so good. They were nibbling on some crepe myrtles so I sprayed with this products and so far so good. It will be a challenge for sure in the years to come until I can afford to get some additional fencing put up.This product does not containe urine of any kind and is not as stinky as some on the market. Worth a try,depending on how much spraying you will need to do.
http://www.deerout.com/?gclid=CO-P2_W5k6sCFUsaQgodfyAdwQ
KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 18, 2011
11:19 AM

Post #8813486

The deer munched my tomatoes just as a bunch were almost ripe. Worse, they pulled green ones off then dropped them all over. I'm using this recipe and happily picking ripe tomatoes for me. 1 egg, 1 T hot sauce, 1 T minced garlic (I used it from a jar) blended together. Tip, after the first time I do this on the deck. Ugh! Then pour the concoction into a quart jar and shake vigorously. You could strain and spray it but I tied strips of old towling around/on my plants and either dipped them or sprinkled them. Neighbors on both sides still getting robbed using other repellants but the deer are avoiding mine.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America