Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Indoor Gardening and Houseplants: A reminder to BEE careful bringing those plants inside !

Communities > Forums > Indoor Gardening and Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Indoor Gardening and HouseplantsReplies: 2, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8776675

OK, I know it is a little eary to start bringing in those plants that had a summer vacation outside but I am anxious to see if they will fit inside. I am up to over 700 now, had "only" 495 last fall. After a healthy summer some need repotting for sure. One took me by suprize. I need to get it out of its pot - did I use that old table knife to dig in it and disturb it? No. Did I just hold it upside down and dump it out? No. I grabbed the plant to yank it out and YEOW! Bee sting on the finger. Didn't know I could run that fast to get an ice cube. Look before grabbing. With other plants that I will bring in later, I have started spraying with Safer insect soap. Good to start 2 weeks before bringing them in - the ones that might have spider mites is what I am thinking about. Also watch for ants and other insects if you had anything on the ground. Over the last 3 years I have brought in probably a dozen or more Tree Frogs as well. One Jan. afternoon I am at my desk when suddenly a frog jumps onto my computer keyboard. Bee careful people.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8796682

gasrocks---

I treat all my plants that I will be bringing in with Espoma Systemic Granules about 2 weeks before
they come in. It will kill anything that has set up housekeeping in your pots in no time at all--
and get in the "system" of the plants to kill any sucking insects in the near future.

It may be hard to find--but check your independent garden Centers. The Box Stores do not carry it any more...

Gita
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8796746

I have some Systemic but only use it as a last resort. Makes the whole plant poision. Not good for pets and visitors.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Indoor Gardening and Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
anyone know how to root norwalk pines?? tom1953 4 Jun 14, 2010 5:43 PM
Ant's in my Plants! millertime71 9 Aug 26, 2009 6:53 PM
Houseplant Photos jdee 31 Apr 5, 2013 5:45 AM
Variegated Begonia Semperflorens mkjones 9 Jul 26, 2007 5:39 PM
A couple of silly questions... danak 9 Jun 18, 2012 6:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America