Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Poultry and Livestock: Duck Dwelling

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 20, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2011
4:38 AM

Post #8777532

I am new to Ducks. I have three, and they have been spending their nights in one of the chicken houses, in a seperate enclosure that is secure from rats. They hate it. I need to build them a house of their own. What I need from you is direction.

From what I see, they don't need "roosts". Or, _should_ they be sleeping on roosts? They don't seem built for it, but what do I know?

How much room per duck? I have three now, but see up to 6 possible. This is just for night-time use, they'll be free during the day.

How tall should the inner ceiling be? I usually build things to be just above standing head height for the critters that will occupy it, to conserve heat during the cold weather, but I'm also usually building for mammals. These fellers seem to be well insulated without my help *G*.

Windows? I'm planning to hinge the roof if I can figure a way to secure it when closed.
It will be inside a chainlink pen (roofed?), that will be closed at night, open during the day.

Any advice is welcome, I find them very endearing (even though they hate me), and it worries me...

p.s. One of them seems to be longing to run with the chickens, which is what he's always done. Can I allow that? Currently they're seperated by the duckyard fence.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8778035

Catmad - I personally don't think you really need to keep them separated. I didn't when I first got them and they were all fine together. If the chickens were in their way they would just nudge them out of the way.

I found a few duck type houses online that you may be able to use as a guide, but some of them look like enlarged dog houses...so that may help you find a cheap alternative.

here are a few I found quickly online...
http://www.stevefisherwoodworking.co.uk/naburn_duck_house.shtml
http://www.newbarntimberproducts.co.uk/tradtional_Duck_house_campbell_duck_house_call_duck_house.htm
http://qwikstep.eu/search/building-duck-houses.html

then there is always using a chicken tractor...
http://picasaweb.google.com/111939183376901378913/Blogdegaini?gsessionid=w5y-BBoAdU7qdt2oBOKXow

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 26, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8778213

The floating duck house is cool!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8778321

I really like this floating one the best...
http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo/page_3207
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 26, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8778500

Catmad may have to build a pond.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2011
3:31 AM

Post #8779207

We have a pond, but it is in coyote territory. They are not going there :(. They have a boat to swim in, but it isn't big enough to support a house, I'm afraid. I worry more about the ducks, they seem less able to take care of themselves, and less aware of what goes on around them.
I don't mind them with the chickens during the day, but if I just let them go into the chicken houses at night I can only imagine how they'll look in the morning, wth chickens roosting above them at night. Plus, although I don't have a big rat problem at the moment, the occasional one get past my sentries. The chickens on the roosts seem okay, but a hunkering duck seems as if it would be in jeopardy. Thanks titaniumRX8, I have some sites as well, but would like to know more of what they actually need before I start construction on Duckingham Palace. I'll check those now.
Chicken tractor is not secure enough, nor does it offer much protection during inclement weather, so I'll keep researching...
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8779263

So it looks like you need a Fort Knox for the ducks...Hmmm I'll keep on the look out online to see if there is anything that fits the 'bill'...hehehe
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8780079

*grin* Fort Duck, I guess. I do like to be able to relax once everyone's in for the night. Right now they're safe in an interior room in the main chicken house, but they hate it. And I hate chasing them to put them in, they get so stressed.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8780192

Here is a few other ideas...
http://www.sheds.us/product/18/1553/Pent-Chicken-Coop-And-Run.html
http://www.henhouses.co.uk/swinford.html
http://www.feelgooduk.net/113-duck-coop-egg-house-4-waterfowl-coop-4-bird.html

If your looking for something that gives you an actual plan and layout here is some dog house plans that might give you a close idea as to what it may take... http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/aben-plans/6278.pdf

here is a site that has some plans for all kinds of things:
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans/miscellaneous
and here is ones just for poultry:
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/extension-aben/buildingplans/poultry
BecksterCa
Willits, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8783051

I have ducks and I've been herding them into a big dog crate at night. We've attached a second wall of chicken wire to the inside of the crate. The crate is inside the fenced area where they spend the day.
Racoons are the predator we're protecting against and so far it's worked. I'd like to move mine to a more traditional duck house eventually but for now the dog crate works great.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8783163

There are many designs for duck shelters. One thing that you must have is a floor or something that will keep predators from digging under the building and eating your ducks!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 29, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8783274

Do they prefer to spend the night on the floor at ground level or would they appreciate an upper story?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8783377

That's one of my number one questions!! Also, would they prefer solid walls, or 1x1/2" welded wire in some "windows" so they're not completely enclosed? We're worried about raccoons and dogs, mostly, but there are coyotes in the vicinity.

I wish I understood them better, I so want them to be Happy Ducks...

jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8787591

A while back I had runner ducks. At first I used a large heavy plastic barrel (the kind some ppl build a dog house out of) for my ducks. I had it in the backyard, then in the chicken run. They didn't like it either way. The hens loved it and some broody always claimed it.

I tried to herd the ducks into an empty coop, they hated that too. The only place they loved to go at night was under the original chicken coop. It was built on a platform about 2 ft off the ground and had wire fencing around two sides, the other sides were open into the chicken run.

In the winter I would put boards and hay bales around it to give them protection from the snow/ice. The weather never seemed to phase them. They would trail through the snow single file into their sanctuary under the chicken coop.

Eventually I quit worrying over them and let them have their way.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8787714

jab91864 - That is what I had to pretty much do with mine. They did not want to go back into the coop once they were out. So I gave up and just left them out by the pond. I have wild geese out there too so I think that cuts down on the predators carrying them off. I see raccoon tracks out there but no losses in the 3 months they have been out there...Knock on wood.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 31, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8787860

Jab your post was most amusing. Especially because I started out reading: "A while back I had rubber ducks..."
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2011
4:16 AM

Post #8788111

"A while back I had rubber ducks..."
Oh good. I did too *G*. Rubber ducks would be MUCH simpler...

I'm still working on the problem. These ducks like chickens, so I'm considering some alternative housing options. B
But I _BOUGHT_ a piece of plywood, and have to use it for something special.

I did get the planting beds ready for my winter greens yesterday, which I suspect I'll have to share...
jab91864
Northern Michigan, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8788163

I first read and thought OMG, did I post rubber ducks...lol

The downside for me with the ducks was that when turned out to free range the yard/woods with the chickens they did 3 times the amt of damage the chickens did in much less time. Those large bills would just rip off entire leaves from my plants... tomatoes, peppers, roses...lol. They would jump to reach the higher stuff, sort of comical actually. They were not picky at all.

I also noticed when there was a full moon they seemed to spend most of the night wandering the yard single file quacking up a storm. More than once in the beginning I thought there was an attack because they were so loud and I would go storming out in my jammies only to see them all stop and stare at me like WTH is she doing now...

At that time I was in a more rural area and we had a fox issue, never lost a duck to them but they took enough hens (usually mid day, go figure) . At night the gate was closed and they had to stay either in the run or the backyard area. Most nights I would leave the gate to the run open to the fenced backyard area.

I also had a dog that was free to roam the yard and the run (his brother had to stay in a separate section because he could not be trusted alone with the flock) during the night, and he offered a GREAT deal of protection. More than once I saw him fronting off a fox through the fence. Coons were a huge issue and more than one had to be gotten rid of. Occasionally I would get a hen who would not come back from free ranging because she was sitting on eggs in the woods, most did not survive long if they chose to do that.
Coyotes were always heard close by but I never spotted one in my yard ( I had it lit up pretty well) but could sometimes see stuff moving just beyond the lights. Same with bear, they would do damage in my yard (snap my birdfeeder poles in half) but I never spotted them nor did they attempt to get to my flock that I know of.

The last spring I had my ducks the girls went broody and hatched out babies under the coop. The babies didn't last long... my fault, I didn't realize the drake would kill them =0(
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8788559

Oh, Lordy!! Thank you for that, I had no idea. I'll remember that if there are ever signs of a broody duck.

This is why I stay here...
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8788685

I think I have heard DonnaB say the same thing about her runner ducks too. I don't have any of those, but I will still keep tabs on the ducks egg laying. I don't need any babies for the critters to get. Here on my pond babies are more likely to be taken by turtles than anything else.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8791662

yes it was a first time mom and was still young. I guess she didn't know what to do. I felt so bad about it.

The pen doesn't need to be fancy. Good strong 2 x 2 wire on sides and top. A open faced box large enough for all to get under in bad weather. If you line the ground with 1/2" mesh around the outside 2' and use landscape pins nothing can dig in to get them

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America