AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8778215

Well it seems out of 8 eggs that actually hatched from my Summer broods all turned out to be roos! I am so bummed about this. I cannot keep any of them. So I begin again... Two Seramas and a Silkie on their nests. I think there are 10 serama eggs so far. 10 and counting in Silkie nest. Mama Silkie still hasnt made up her mind to actually set yet!

How about you all... how did your ratios end up?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2011
3:46 AM

Post #8779219

I'm not sure yet. These aren't ones I hatched (those seem to have produced 3 pullets, one roo) but the straight runs that I ordered, and the others from that order (which I split with someone else) that have now come to live here. The ones I can tell seem to have about 1 roo to 2 hens, but I still am unsure of where the Cochins fall. One day I think I know, but the next I waffle. Time will tell.
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8780406

I let one broody hen sit on some borrowed fertilized eggs (I have no roosters). Out of ten eggs, nine hatched out. After 22 weeks we recognized that six of the nine were roosters. :) I won't do that again. I pay a little extra and just order all hens now. They were very handsome roosters though. One was solid white.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 27, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8780429

I never intended to have roosters, but out of one order for six Jersey Giant pullets I got four pullets and two roosters - and they turned out to be Minorcas. So you can't win! The Minorca hens have become very reliable layers and the roosters are good guardians of the flock and not aggressive, so I guess I did okay after all.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8780857

This is the little Half BCmaran babies when I was in hopes of a couple of hens. but only one lived and it turned into...

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8780889

...wouldnt you know it the Maran/ buff Orp. photo didnt load... so heres the silly little half Silkie half cochin roo.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8780895

My adorable Dark Brahma, who is soooo gentle! But no lady Brahma for him anywhere!! Booo Hooo!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8780900

My little Serama roo " Marble".

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8780902

" Heckle and Jeckle" the two Black Cochin Bantam Roos.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8780927

and two more . one 4month old Serama and a Cochin Serama who are camera shy! I do however have Two Seramas ( Sweet Tater and brullee) setting. There is a mixture of Serama and Silkie eggs under them , havent counted them yet bur more than 10. These eggs are all pure strain eggs ...and the weather here has been cooler... so Im hoping we get a bunch of pretty pullets this tim. Should be hatching in another week. Actually by Tuesday I should see some action!! That would be September 5th!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2011
8:01 AM

Post #8780929

Love to see chickie pics!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America