Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cooking: Bishop's Crown Peppers?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 5, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8779374

While visiting a community garden last fall, I discovered a delightful little pepper called Bishop's Crown. I love the taste, but am now inundated with hundreds of them. What's a good way to preserve these tasty treats? Freezing, drying, canning?

Thumbnail by jomoncon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 27, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8779946

I found an article a while back and will paste it here. Hope you find it useful. Here in Phoenix, I can easily sun dry my peppers but in your location you may have mold to contend with if they do not dry quickly enough. I scanned through the article below and found it interesting they suggest placing your drying screens inside a vehicle or in a truck bed to speed drying. I would worry about residual pepper fumes inside a vehicle. If you dry them in the oven or a dehydrator in the house, the house can get filled with pepper fumes.
- - -
There are four accepted methods of drying chili peppers and each work well, with some methods working better than others depending on things like weather, airflow and humidity.

Sun drying is probably the oldest form of drying peppers. To do this, watch the weather reports and pick a time when it is supposed to be hot and sunny for several days in a row. Begin early in the morning so you will have the maximum amount of sunlight for the first day.

Slice your peppers in half and remove the seeds. Place each half of the pepper, cut side down onto an old window screen or sheet and lay out in the sun.

If you lay your screens or sheets on the roof of a car or inside a pickup truck bed, the process will go faster. Allow your peppers to dry for eight hours and then turn the peppers to where the cut side is facing up.
At dark, cover the screens or sheet with another old sheet to protect the peppers from bugs. Remove the sheet the next morning and repeat the process.

The dried chili peppers are ready when they are close to brittle, breaking easily between your fingers.
The second method of drying peppers is in the oven. If your oven is electric, preheat to the lowest setting. The pilot light on a gas oven is sometimes enough, use an oven thermometer to check the temperature; it should be around 150 - 200 degrees.

Prepare the chili peppers the same way as if you were drying outside or if you prefer you can cut them into thin rings. Spread the chili peppers evenly over baking pans or cookie sheets.

Allow the chili peppers to dry all day or overnight in the warm oven. You may wish to turn them once during the drying time, but this is not necessary.

Another old-fashioned method is to hang the peppers to dry. If you have a screened in porch or other area where there is plenty of airflow, this method works well.

You do not have to seed the peppers for this method of drying. You will need a carpet or other large eyed needle, and either heavy thread or fishing line.

Begin by threading your needle with a long length of thread or fishing line. At the other end, tie a small wooden dowel or stick to keep the bottom pepper from falling off. Thread the line through the center of each pepper, stacking one on top of the other in a rotating manner.

When the line is full, hang in a well ventilated area and allow nature to take its course. This method may take three weeks to a month for the peppers to dry completely.

The fourth way of drying peppers is in a dehydrator. Dehydrators can be purchased with or without a fan, and while the ones with a fan are a bit more expensive, they do their magic faster than those without.

Prepare your peppers as you would for the oven method. You can leave the seeds in or remove them if you wish. Lay the prepared peppers evenly on the trays of your dehydrator and turn the machine on.

Peppers generally take 8 - 10 hours to dry in a dehydrator with a fan or 10 - 12 in one without.

Dried peppers can be used as is in soups and stews but do need to be reconstituted to be used in other recipes. To do this, pour warm water to cover over the amount of peppers you wish to use.

The seeds that have been removed from the chili peppers can be dried on their own also. Once they have dried, they can be ground up in a spice mill and used for a hint of flavoring in many dishes.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8780729

Thanks, MaryMcP. I think I'll try drying the little gems.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8780816

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8781466

The peppers are in the oven drying right now. I have an inexpensive dehydrator that never seems to dry veggies enough. My oven has a drying feature that uses the convection & low heat. The peppers have been drying for about 2 hours so far. I really want them to be very dry & crunchy so I can crush them up & store them in a jar. I'll post pictures when I finish them.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 28, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8781551

That's how I like mine too. I also grow chiltepins (in addition to habs) and the chiltepins are easy to dry. Then I crush and put in a shaker jar.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America