-
AuthorContent
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8781519

Do gingers go dormant in the winter? I have one I received last summer and since I am in zone 5 I keep it in the house and it never has tried to go dormant. However, in reading some of the posts on here, it sounds like maybe I should allow it to do that. How would I if it keeps growing? And how would I keep it if it is to go dormant?

How would I know if it is dormant, or if I killed it? Sorry.
TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 28, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8781540

SOME gingers need to go dormant SOME have to be evergreen. Without knowing what you have your question can't be answered. A name, description, or photo would definitely help. It probably is an evergreen if it never tried to go dormant , BUT some will try to stay up if kept indoors, in the long run it's bad for them. Anyways give some more info and you'll get a more accurate answer

Tim Chapman
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8781890

Ok, I have no clue what kind of Ginger it is. The longest, or tallest ones are about 2 1/2 feet long. Here it is.

Thumbnail by Jnette
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TimChapman
Saint Gabriel, LA

August 28, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8781941

Ok, it's a spiral Ginger (Costus). There are a small number of Costus that do have a dormancy, but yours does not look like one of them. It looks fine and you should continue to treat it as an evergreen.

Tim Chapman
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8782048

Thank you so much for the info. Does it bloom? Does it like crowded feet? It loves the Metal Halide light I have on it, but wondering if I should repot it. It is in an 8 inch pot. But it just keeps getting taller. It is so healthy, but some of the plants near it have spider mites. It has a white hairy stuff at the base of each leaf but I am sure that it is not caused by SMs. However, they may be in there and I can't see them because of that stuff. What do you think? Should I treat it, and what should I use on it and the others. So far I have been spraying them hard with water from the faucet.

Thank you so much for the information. Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America